Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were your favorite sports teams growing up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Who were your favorite sports teams growing up?

For me it was the Jordan Bulls and once they got Rodman they were unstoppable.

I also loved the Packers once they got Favre. Talk about 1 player changing a franchise.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I began following the Red Sox circa 1973ish (about the time I started nursery school and my dad bought me a Red Sox year book off the newsstand with pics of all the players). Yaz, Fisk, Bill the Spaceman Lee, Bernie Carbo and all the rest.

My dad had been stationed in the Dallas-Fort Worth area the year the Dallas Texans (soon to be Cowboys) started playing football and he remained a fan all his life, so naturally I followed the Cowboys from early on. Roger Staubach was the QB at the time and I remember when they drafted this running back named Tony Dorsett who turned out to be pretty good.

But the #1 team of my heart was the New England Whalers of the WHA (later the Hartford Whalers of the NHL). I went to my first game when I was 3 and I can still hear Brass Bonanza echo in my head whenever I think of a goal being scored in hockey. I still sort of pay attention to the Carolina Hurricanes, but it's not the same since they left Hartford (and I relocated halfway across the country).

I still adore my Sox, and still sort of follow the Cowboys though I have come to despise the NFL as a whole.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; Aug 16, '22, 11:10 PM.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

I’ve been a boxing fan my whole life. Watched some hockey as a kid, liked Boston, but boxing is the best sport for me.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Nothing special, just Yankee's back in the day

Today following Lehigh Valley's -- Iron Pigs

Sorry for your loss, Ottawa

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Harlem Globetrotters.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Da Cubs and Da BEARS!!!
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Growing my up in a small town in WV, I never understood people who rooted for teams based on geographic proximity. Nearly everybody in my area rooted for the Pittsburgh teams since that metropolitan area was a couple of hours away, but I chose teams based on other criteria, so mine are all over the map geographically.
              My faves:

-Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders
              -St Louis Cardinals
              -Boston Celtics
              -Pittsburgh Penguins (the one “homer” choice)

Comment

• shaunaconda
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 29, 2020

Definitely the Dallas Cowboys! But I love all the NFL…especially the period from the sixties and seventies. I’ve been collecting old broadcasts and NFL Films stuff from this time period for a while now.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by shaunaconda
                  Definitely the Dallas Cowboys! But I love all the NFL…especially the period from the sixties and seventies. I’ve been collecting old broadcasts and NFL Films stuff from this time period for a while now.
                  HUGE Dallas Cowboys and that is quite the feat considering I grew up in Philadelphia. Yo may have heard, but Philly sports fans can get pretty... passionate?! There is no more hated team in Philly than the Cowboys. When I first fell in love with football in the 70s, Tom Landry was doing all kinds of neat things with the shotgun offense, staggered defensive lines. I LOVED paging through the Sears Wishbook, dreaming about their NFL gear!

I did fall in love with the home team during the Flyers' Stanley Cups runs in the 70s. Early signs of collectoritis were present when I used to rummage though the refrigerated sections at Wawa, trying to find the Canada Dry Ginger Ale cans with Flyers players on the back that I didn't have yet. I still beam with pride telling the tale of the Soviet team fleeing the ice in fear of the Flyers!

As for the "other" football, Johan Cruyff made me a Barcelona fan. Even though I've always played in goal, I related to how he changed the game as a player and then as a coach at Camp Nou. I say "changed" because I didn't really know about Cruyff until his coaching days.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
                    HUGE Dallas Cowboys and that is quite the feat considering I grew up in Philadelphia. Yo may have heard, but Philly sports fans can get pretty... passionate?! There is no more hated team in Philly than the Cowboys. When I first fell in love with football in the 70s, Tom Landry was doing all kinds of neat things with the shotgun offense, staggered defensive lines. I LOVED paging through the Sears Wishbook, dreaming about their NFL gear!
                    70's Football was the best. Huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan. The Cowboys were my enemy and Roger "the dodger" Staubach was my nemesis. Such great Super Bowls between those two teams with tremendous amount of talent all around.

Got to see the Showtime Lakers in their prime, running up and down at the Fabulous Forum. Unfortunately, I stopped following them in 2018 when Little Brain James joined the team. There are some people you just can't cheer for.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

NFL Football in general was such a HUGE thing for me in the 70s. My favorite team in that time frame was the Cowboys, but my time as a fan ended when Jerry Jones bought the team. After that, I have been mostly a fan of certain players or line ups. I have been following the Chiefs and Steelers a lot in recent years, though. I still follow the NFL during the season, but my real passion for the league is combing through the History of it. I like reading about other pro leagues like the AAFC which gave us the Browns and 49ers and learning things like how there was a brief period in the early 60s when Dallas and Pittsburgh were in the same conference in the NFL.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                        For me it was the Jordan Bulls and once they got Rodman they were unstoppable.

I also loved the Packers once they got Favre. Talk about 1 player changing a franchise.
                        Same for me. Loved Jordan and the Bulls as a kid. Besides them, I cheered for all the local teams (Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Knights, etc…)

I did cheer for the Packers while Favre was there, as he was a former Falcon.

Also loved Dale Earnhardt and cried for days when he died.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Bay Area native here.

Niners
                          Raiders
                          Cal Bears (I don’t follow Stanford)
                          GS Warriors
                          Giants
                          A’s
                          Sharks

Don’t follow MLB much these day…same with hockey.

I also like boxing, some MMA, and international soccer, especially the World Cup.

Last edited by Hector; Aug 17, '22, 5:43 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
                            Museum Patron
                            • Sep 5, 2015

Growing up it was the Mets and Giants of the 80's. These days...

MLB--Yankees
                            NFL--Patriots
                            NBA--Celtics
                            college basketball--UCONN men and women (I went there)
                            college football--any team that beats Alabama!

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Well for me locally it’s New England Patriots and that goes back to the early 70’s when they were terrible and the Boston Celtics.

I also cheer for the L.A. Rams, L.A. Dodgers and L.A. Kings and I live in Boston so go figure that one out.

College Football, Boston College Eagles and Hawaii Warriors.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎