Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were your favorite sports teams growing up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

I grew up in the time of the Big Red Machine throughout the 70’s.

It was also the time of WKRP in Cincinnati (where Sparky Anderson was a guest star) and the town of Cincinnati was never a cooler place than then.

Listened all my life to Joe and Marty do the play-by-play. I’m not a fair-weather fan of the Reds and the Bengals. The Reds have had more down years than good years since, but hope springs eternal. The Bengals are making strides.

It’s just one more way I revisit my youth and great times, along with those marvelous toys.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

The Buffalo Bills. When Joe Ferguson and The Bills beat Miami in 1980, it was the first time in my lifetime that I witnessed the Bills beat the Dolphins -- they were oh-for-The 70s against Miami.

The Buffalo Sabres. My earliest memories are late 70s, so Perreault, Gare, Schoenfeld, Ramsay, Playfair, Sauve, Ramsey (from Miracle on Ice Team USA in 1980), etc. So after The French Connection's heyday.

But I was also a fan of the NFL Saints when they were terrible, The Seahawks because I thought Jim Zorn being a left handed QB was cool (I am not a lefty, but I learned to throw a football with my left because of Zorn and Ken Stabler), The 70s Steelers, and Washington; in the NHL, I loved the Blackhawks and the Pelle Lindburgh Flyers.

I was never a big Basketball fan as a kid, but in the mid-80s I got into it with the NBA Lakers and Knicks (because of Patrick Ewing), NCAA Georgetown Hoyas (because of Patrick Ewing), North Carolina Tar Heels (post-Jordan) and Kentucky Wildcats.

Baseball was always low on my list, but I loved the Dwight Gooden and Daryl Strawberry NY Mets.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by TRDouble
        The Buffalo Bills. When Joe Ferguson and The Bills beat Miami in 1980, it was the first time in my lifetime that I witnessed the Bills beat the Dolphins -- they were oh-for-The 70s against Miami.
        I remember Joe Cribbs being one of the first, if not the first, NFL player to rock this facemask.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by J.B.
          70's Football was the best. Huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan. The Cowboys were my enemy and Roger "the dodger" Staubach was my nemesis. Such great Super Bowls between those two teams with tremendous amount of talent all around.

As much as it pains me to give kudos to Steelers' Super Bowl wins, I still think the two with the Cowboys are the best on record.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
            I still think the two with the Cowboys are the best on record.
            Agreed.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

^ seeing those two helmets makes me feel like a wide-eyed 7 year old again.

Comment

• Duncan
                Museum focus-groupie
                • Jun 27, 2009

I had the Philly teams in the golden age. We had the Broad Street Bullies, who won a cup. We had the Phillies who won a series. The Eagles lost a Super Bowl, while the Dr. J Sixers were great for years.

Now I still follow the Eagles, but I don't see the others that often. Instead, I have Ohio State football, and Penn State to a lesser extent. Then there's bowl season and the NFL playoffs. I have the Blue Jackets. I have March Madness, followed by NHL & NBA playoffs. NACAR is good for the occasional race...the Tour de France and Korean Baseball (NC Dinos) are good background entertainment. And of course, rasslin is year-round.

So, I guess as a kid it was cool to have limited choices because those teams were good. But as an adult, I like having more options available.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Mar 29, 2020

I agree also with Super Bowl X and XIII being something special, and I’m a die hard Cowboys fan. I have a lot of respect for the Steelers and what they’ve done over the last 50 years!

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

I remember Joe Cribbs being one of the first, if not the first, NFL player to rock this facemask.

Yep! I thought it was the coolest thing when Cribbs had that facemask.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

I recently rewatched the Steelers first 4 Superbowl wins on Youtube. I'm sure there hasn't been as many future Hall of Famers since as there were in those two great Steelers-Cowboys Superbowls.

I lived out by Chicago during the Repeat Threepeat Bulls era, and that was amazing. The aforementioned 70s Buffalo Sabres teams are among my favorites ever, along with the 90's Bills. And hopefully the 20's Bills.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Was the "fat boy" who never got picked as a team-mate in school.

Made me HATE anykinda pro sports with a passion.

Just don't care

Comment

• J.B.
                          Guild Navigator
                          • Jun 23, 2010

Well, at least you're not bitter.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Well, at least you're not bitter.
                            Not at all

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

I work near the airport around a popular tourist local and I have been doing a checklist of people wearing MLB hats trying to find every team , so far I've found every team except 4, A's, Twins, Diamondbacks, and Rays. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Tigers have outnumbered every team by a country mile.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                                Permanent Member
                                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by shaunaconda
                                Definitely the Dallas Cowboys! But I love all the NFL…especially the period from the sixties and seventies. I’ve been collecting old broadcasts and NFL Films stuff from this time period for a while now.
                                We had a wipping thread on here a few years ago. I believe all the Superbowls survived. Superbowl 2 was incomplete for a while. I also thought super bowl V wasn't available but that isn't the case now.

I think for reel collectors the undiscovered gems are still the missing Avengers and Doctor Who episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎