X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures goes to PowerCon 2022

Toy-Ventures goes to PowerCon 2022 On this week’s episode of Toy-Ventures, we head down to Columbus, Ohio, to attend PowerCon 2022, a Toy convention that celebrates the toy industry. Come check out the fantastic vintage goodies I saw at this incredible event and what I picked up. #mego #powercon #motu Do you miss toy magazines? […]
    The post Toy-Ventures goes to PowerCon 2022 appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Man, now I really regret not going. UGH! Great video though, and some great pick-ups! The prices on Super Powers stuff seems to have skyrocketed of late, but I'd love to have a boxed Hall of Justice. I still have my childhood one, but I love that box!
    sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

I loved seeing the carded Warlord figures. Wouldn't mind owning that moc secret wars Electro either. Dealer prices are insane right now but I understand picking something up as souvenir for the trip.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Fun! Spot any MOTUxApes K/O or bootlegs?

…oh, have to ask, what does a YouTuber *do* at a toy show?… remote broadcast, review things??

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional

…oh, have to ask, what does a YouTuber *do* at a toy show?… remote broadcast, review things??
          They host panels, sign books and talk to people. Trust me, I wanted to chat with Dan Larsen of Toy Galaxy, but he always had someone in front of him.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Interesting. I didn't know the Con-culture merged as such, having not been to one in several years.

Admittedly disconnected with this phenomenon, but largely turned off by the now-typical meta-attempt to always be funny, clever, critic, or influencer-whatever. Happy more redemptive ways to learn/connect/share still exist.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
              ^^ Interesting. I didn't know the Con-culture merged as such, having not been to one in several years.

Admittedly disconnected with this phenomenon, but largely turned off by the now-typical meta-attempt to always be funny, clever, critic, or influencer-whatever. Happy more redemptive ways to learn/connect/share still exist.
              I don't really do cons either, this one was more intimate than a Fan Expo. As for YouTube personalities, I tend to avoid people playing characters. Both of the Dans are the same person on or off YT so I'm glad I met them.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

That's another thing I could do without in this dystopian hellscape we are currently living through. The rise of all these toxic youtube "personalities" and "influencers" as some kind of pseudo celebrities.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  That's another thing I could do without in this dystopian hellscape we are currently living through. The rise of all these toxic youtube "personalities" and "influencers" as some kind of pseudo celebrities.
                  For something like Toy collecting I don't mind it. Most of the ones we all know toy galaxy Dan, Junk man, pixel Dan, etc have their heart in the right place. If going to cons gives them a king for a day experience, good for them.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Wish I would have known about this. I probably would have made the 3 hour drive.
                    Lots of great stuff in that room, not sure what I would have bought. Probably something small and loose with my current budget. But if I would have run across some grail model kits, all bets would have been off.

I've got nothing against YouTubers. Most of the ones in the model side of vintage toys just use the cons to meet and interview people. Don't really know who any are on the toy side, but I look at it this way.
                    If it draws more people to the cons, then it's a good thing. More people through the door means a more successful show, which makes the odds of it happening again better.
                    Almost anything that keep the cons going is a good thing.
                    Shopping online is great and all, but nothing beats the rush of finding something in the wild and holding it in your hands. Also the people you meet at shows make them even better.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      To my knowledge, there was none of that Junk there. I didn't know the fellow from the Fwoosh but my son says he's awesome and keeps it light.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, Robo from Fwoosh is a hoot. He definitely doesn't take things too seriously, and asks his viewers to rein in their nerd rage. Shartimus Prime actually did the same in the video last night in repsonse to people eviscerating the Hasbro Marvel Legends team in live stream comments.
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          ^Yeah, Robo from Fwoosh is a hoot. He definitely doesn't take things too seriously, and asks his viewers to rein in their nerd rage. Shartimus Prime actually did the same in the video last night in repsonse to people eviscerating the Hasbro Marvel Legends team in live stream comments.
                          Yeah I had never heard of either of those guys, just not in my world. This may sound strange, but while I check out a couple of toy channels, Analog, Pixel Dan and Toy Galaxy (soon becoming Secret Galaxy), most of what I watch on YT is movie related.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I was glad to see this video, especially since I couldn't attend. It looked fun with a great selection of items but also bittersweet.

I'm missing a key, coveted MOTU Origins figure and I"m trying not to mull that it could have been obtained at the con.

Brian--I have a few of the new Estrela Falcon figures, I think you'll really enjoy it.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎