X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Lost Mego Star Trek Vulcan Explorer New (to me) Photo

I remember years ago reading about the unproduced Vulcan Explorer and it was accompanied by a rendering someone had made that looked fun.
    20220808_053705.jpg

Playing around on Google I found this photo of what looks like a prototype. Thought it was cool and I hadn't seen it posted here.
    20220808_053641.jpg
    Last edited by Megotastrophe; Aug 8, '22, 5:43 AM.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i've seen these photos before. it would have been a neat toy to have as a kid, though not really Trek

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

I had seen the blue one before. It was a render put together from descriptions. The gray one I hadnt seen before and I thought it looked neat. And it is at least as Trek as the Remco train and helicopter haha.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Yes I remember seeing and reading about the unproduced blue Vulcan Explorer, definitely something I would have got as a kid if it was available.

Something like that I wish could be made as a remote control vehicle, the only difference I would change is perhaps a seat to sit in instead of having to drive it around on your stomach, kind of uncomfortable.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

Yes the blue one is not news like I said. It was a render based on an interview with a Mego designer. Very interesting but not new at this stage. It's the white one I had never seen before. It looks like a real prototype. I do not know if it is but seems just detailed enough it looks like it to me. This looks like an older photograph, again talking only about the white vehicle, and I hadn't seen it here before. Thought it was cool and shared.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

It looks kind of hard on the back, but I do kind of prefer the white one. More compact and sleek. Definitely would have wanted that back in the day.

Comment

• josephcardone
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 10, 2010

This thing is cool - but I don’t know if I would have wanted it as a kid. It wasn’t on the show. I remember my Mom buying me the Mission to Gamma VI playset from Alexander’s for a couple dollars (clearance). I really only played with the bridge playset and Gamma didn’t get visited much.

Mego was probably thinking it would suffer the same fate of Mission to Gamma VI.

Now if they made a Galileo 7!!

Thank you Dida for making it briefly

Comment

• blastphemey
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 11, 2008

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I always wonder what has become of these prototypes.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks for sharing! I had never seen that second rendering, either. It's cool but I don't know if it would fit the needed pair of D batteries underneath
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎