X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Early Heatstamp/smooth butt GiJoe variation

There exists in the early production of GiJoe a version which was different than the later issue. This early production included the pre-production, aka Toy Fare displays and salesman examples that were used to try to peddle this new "Action Figure" to toy stores.

There's some features with this one that is shared with other very "early" GiJoes.

-Brass rivets(can be a mix of all of the rivets being brass, or just the hands, or just the feet or the entire Joe). The contrast is the later 1960's Joes having flesh color painted rivets. Adventure Team switched back to unpainted rivets, but not brass.
    -Larger "beefy" hands, later issues were more defined and not quite as large
    -Smaller "baby" feet, not very defined, but were easier to put into the boots. (These early Joes would also sometimes have rubber boots, in brown and black and they were a very soft rubber and had Hong Kong stamped on the bottom on the heel in a semi circle). A lot of those are found today and are shrunken and hardened.
    -Arms and legs being a little more defined, thighs would be a little thicker.
    -Head hard with eyeliner and eyebrows painted below the edge of the eyebrow ridge.
    -Torso might have a red tint to it, and early versions would have been hand cut at the bottom, so the edging (in the pelvis) could be rough.
    -Pelvis a little different molding, and have the TM Hasbro marking stamp on it.

The earliest of these Joes, which would have included the Toy Fair, and Salesman examples, would have brass rivets, beefy hands, baby feet, and the rest of the early features, but include a pelvis with no Hasbro stamp at all, a smooth butt. Since the pelvis didn't include a Hasbro mark on it, Hasbro branded with something hot, the top right shoulder with (C) Hasbro 1964 USA (R)

A number of these shipped exactly like that in the first shipments of GiJoes to eager kids. I've personally owned 3 of these early heatstamp/branded Joes and all of those have had brown hair. I can't confirm but I feel most of these early ones were all brown haired after discussing this with other collectors.

Below is a picture of one of mine. These early Joes also have a tendency for their body part to crack very easily.

In the photos you'll notice the red tint to the chest, it's related to some leeching of color coming out of the plastic, or so I'm told. I have other early, non heatstamp Joes that have the same red tinting as well.

Now if you've read all of this way down, I am interested in buying or trading for any brass rivet early Joes, or just body parts. Brass rivet parts will help me fix up a few Joes that have been hanging out in my hospital(drawers) for too long so PM me if you have any hanging around you don't want.

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Related to the early heatstamp Joe above, here's a couple of pictures of the early cloth ammo belt. This was the first issue of this, and the belt is cloth, as are the ammo pouches. The later issue would have a cloth belt with plastic ammo pouches.

These are sometimes found with the pouches glued to the belt, and those are very early and mostly likely were the prototype mock ups and Toy Fair and salesman samples.

The second picture below is that belt on a full brass figure, non heatstamp. I got that one from the original owner with the original triple TM box. The uniform and brown rubber boots are original to this figure. Also you'll notice the cloth medic pouch is equipped on this one too.

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I had forgotten about the cloth ammo pouches, the tailoring is exquisite. Were those of RI or Asian manufacture?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I had forgotten about the cloth ammo pouches, the tailoring is exquisite. Were those of RI or Asian manufacture?
        Good question, I bet the initial prototype batch were local to RI, but unknown really.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Love the cloth ammo pouch. Also digging the Air Security helmets and field phone.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎