Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

It can be done badly and it can be done well. If it really makes no difference to the character, go for it. The last Batman movie had a black Commissioner Gordon. It really didn't change the character. A black or Latino Terry would barely change the look of the character especially as biracial. In costume, his race isn't even an issue.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

From what I can figure out after The Flash, DC is going to restart the movies. With all the bad publicity and the Synderzombies this should have been done a while ago. They can keep the actors they like and recast those they don't like. Expect to see several DC Comics Trinity based movies (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) to get released. The did say Shazam/Black Adam & Aquaman could continue (if they make money).

What gets me is this is the CEO from Discovery who shifted the new shows to the online channel first, so it is confusing why he doesn't want DC Comics on HBO Max unless it's a mad grab to reimburse the money he just spent.
      Last edited by monitor_ep; Aug 8, '22, 6:17 PM.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Now I want to see Batgirl, lol. Seriously. I don’t care if it’s awful, let audiences decide. Besides, lots of bad streaming movies out there. So what’s one more? People get to preoccupied with race. I really don’t care as long as it’s a good performance. I keep reading about people losing it with Namor being a Latino actor, etc. Well, the comic book Sub-Mariner has pointy ears. What exiting human has pointy ears and little feathers on their ankles to begin with? Or breathes underwater for that matter? And the rest of the Atlanteans are blue, lol. It goes both ways too. Some are losing it because James Franco is playing Fidel Castro. That he’s not Latino, etc. Well, I don’t care either. Acting is acting…and that’s a historical person. Comic books are make believe, fictional. I don’t care either way as well. Now, if it’s crazy different, like a black actor playing George Washington, ok, that’s just not believable nor accurate. Same applies to a white actor playing Martin Luther King. But aside from obvious real life historical casting like that, everything else is okay by me.

Way back in the day, Paul Muni played Mexican President Benito Juarez and Marlon Brando played Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata. I have no issues. Those movies were pretty good. The actors played their roles with earnest. Yes, that will probably not go as smooth nowadays, but that was then. But if the role is blatantly stereotypical, such as Mickey Rooney’s performance as a Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, well, that was just bad. It’s all about how the character is treated and respected.

Don’t we all poo the same poo?

Last edited by Hector; Aug 8, '22, 10:30 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Sometimes casting outside of ethnicity is a bad idea for sure. John Wayne as Ghenghis Kahn didn't work out for anyone.

People losing their mind over Namor is pure nuts. Like you said, he's a biracial child, and one half of his background is a fictional race of blue people. Why can't he be Latino? I kind of missed classic Aquaman when Momoa was cast, but that was due to the way the character was written as a dude bro, not beause of Momoa's skin color/background. I came around to liking his version fine.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Agreed on everything you posted ^^^^^^^^^
            sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

I think The Aztec mythology added to Namor's backstory is pretty cool as the casual movie fan would think Namor is a ripoff of Aquaman with Atlantis(they would not know Namor was first). And I hope he gets the cred in the films for being Marvel's first hero.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

IIRC, Atlantis was tied to both Aquaman and Sub-Mariner in the Silver Age. In the Golden Age, Wonder Woman had an Atlantean foe, Queen Clea. I'm surprised she hasn't appeared in some modern Aquaman tales.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I'm unsure how white people can claim a dude with a triangle for a head, pointy ears and wings on his feet.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I'm unsure how white people can claim a dude with a triangle for a head, pointy ears and wings on his feet.
                    With one blue parent. The Professor X rumors will really make their heads X-Plode.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      With one blue parent. The Professor X rumors will really make their heads X-Plode.
                      Yeah it's almost as if, they're missing the entire point of the series...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Yeah it's almost as if, they're missing the entire point of the series...
                        Yup. Disney wants to go a similar route with Magneto.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Yup. Disney wants to go a similar route with Magneto.
                          As we've had two excellent portrayals of Magneto in multiple films, I do not pity anyone butt hurt by this.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                            I think The Aztec mythology added to Namor's backstory is pretty cool as the casual movie fan would think Namor is a ripoff of Aquaman with Atlantis(they would not know Namor was first). And I hope he gets the cred in the films for being Marvel's first hero.
                            I think it’s more Maya than Aztec. As the Maya civilization had/has pyramids by sea coasts. The Aztec empire was primarily in central Mexico. While it did expand to coasts, Aztec pyramids were in valleys away from the sea. Having said that, I think we are both correct, as I’m sure the MCU Atlanteans are a combination of both Maya and Aztec.
                            Last edited by Hector; Aug 9, '22, 6:57 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

The possible change that would bother me is making Terry McGinnis left-handed. I mean, he's right-handed in the original series so why change it?!? Sure, he'd have the same difficulties growing up as a child of divorce with a street gang affiliation causing a strained proxy father-son relation ship with Bruce Wayne challenging him to focus his strengths on heroism, but he'd be throwing the batarang with the wrong hand!!

This would be just another way southpaws are trying to make me and other righties feel bad about the way older generations of right-handed folk treated lefties in the past. I had nothing to do with that and shouldn't be forced to feel bad about it!!
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^That was brilliant.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎