X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

!968 photo box sets

Hasbro in 1968 changed a number of uniform sets to full litho photo boxes from the window boxes they used in the past. The window boxes had all of the uniform and accessories all on display behind a cellophane plastic type wrap.

I have to assume a lot of theft happened with those display boxes, and the amount of manpower it took to secure all of those items in the window box so they looked good on display probably were two reasons they went to a totally sealed box.

With that, 1968 was the last real military line they offered, before the "Adventures of" in 1969 and Adventure Team in 1970. Some of 1968 sets were previously released in 1964-66, but there were a few that only came out in 1967 and 1968 and some 1968 only so some of those are quite scarce.

With that I don't have any original 1968 photo boxes, although I did come across these a few years ago and think they are kind of neat.

All of these are just the lids of several of the original 1968 photo boxes. Some kid back in the day enjoyed these so much that they trimmed the edges off and hung them on the wall with scotch tape. There's still some remnants of the tape on these.

My favorites are the Marine Jungle Fighter and the Green Airborne MP(1968 only), but I do like all of them as they look great on the shelf behind the sets. Enjoy...

Last edited by drquest; Aug 6, '22, 8:56 AM.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

Fun post. There's so much to collecting GI Joe.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

those are really nice. they give more of a real world feel to the sets

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I've always been confused by these--some photo boxes contained previously packaged overstock, and some contained new stock? Were the new items merely bagged inside?

I do like the photo variation, particularly Deep Freeze and Annapolis Cadet.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I've always been confused by these--some photo boxes contained previously packaged overstock, and some contained new stock? Were the new items merely bagged inside?

I do like the photo variation, particularly Deep Freeze and Annapolis Cadet.
          These all would have bagged uniforms and accessories. Again I feel it was partially a cost cutting measure since tying all of these items to a window box had to be time consuming and costly. This method allowed them to just toss the contents in without concern about how they looked on the shelf.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

3D Joes has a photo of what the contents look like still in bag. It sort of reminds me of how board games are packaged.
            https://www.vintage3djoes.com/milita...e-1967-68.html

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you! I'm embarrassed to admit I had forgotten that insert. I've spent wonderful hours on the site.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

I love the photo used for the deep sea diver set...
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

I enjoy these 1968 boxed sets, and the 1969 sets are neat as well. I like those sets showing the kid playing with the Joe.

Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Ach, I love that '69 transitional stuff. I'm usually a Navy/Aquanaut/Sea Adventurer guy, but Mouth of Doom is awesome.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 7, '22, 4:17 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Ach, I love that '69 transitional stuff. I'm usually a Navy/Aquanaut/Sea Adventurer guy, but Mouth of Doom is awesome.
                      Mouth of Doom is a great set, I have it loose but not boxed.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡