X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Universal Monsters but EXTREME!

If the 90s taught us one thing, it's anything can be made EXTREME. Extreme sports, extreme chips, extreme sodas, extreme Jell-O, sure why the hell not. Universal Monsters were no exception to the extremification.

That brings us to this short lived and fairly obscure line, Monster Force by Playmates. Based on the equally obscure and short lived Monster Force animated series.

The heroic monsters feature sexy cool Frank with his neon yellow t-shirt and cyberpunk jacket with upturned collar and the heavy metal Wolfman with his metallic purple pants and Ghostbuster zapper thing.

mforce1.JPG
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The evil monsters

Dracula with his shiny metallic black pants, giant bug and extreme neon orange rat and hulked up Creature with new extreme spikes.

mforce2.JPG

Like most extreme 90s toys they are extremely valueless to this very day.

In all seriousness, these are pretty nice quality toys. Lots of paint and shading for the time and the stands are pretty cool. Monster Force was released in 1994 and lasted one wave. There are an additional three human figures in the line and an unproduced second series that would have included the Mummy and Shelly Frank.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 30, '22, 7:12 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I like the werewolf, otherwise yecch.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I like the werewolf, otherwise yecch.
        Ha! Yeah. I actually bought two of Dracula. I customized one by trimming off those icky looking whiskers. Couldn't stand them. Looks way better without.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I recall seeing these at TRU and liking the diorama bases, though.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

The title gave me a 1993 flashback. Something something, but EXTREME! It was never good.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

No Pouches??
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                No Pouches??
                Not to worry. Monster Force has that covered. The human figures are loaded with pouches, ammo straps and buckles.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I came acros a carded figure from this line recently, and before that had totally forgotten it existed. I remember seeing the figures on the pegs and photos in Tomart's and Lee's magazines of the time. They were too far removed from the classic versions to make me want to buy them, but they are a nice curiosity in the history of Univesal Monster figures, for sure.
                  sigpic

Comment

• tatsunokofan
                    • Dec 5, 2019

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                    The title gave me a 1993 flashback. Something something, but EXTREME! It was never good.
                    G.I. Joe Extreme. Extreme Ghostbusters. Yeah, "Extreme" was more a warning label than anything else.

James

Comment

• Atomikhammer
                      • Nov 20, 2012

Playmates DOES know how to make a toy don;t they.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by tatsunokofan
                        G.I. Joe Extreme. Extreme Ghostbusters. Yeah, "Extreme" was more a warning label than anything else.

James
                        The GI Joe Extreme show was pretty good. The toys were lacking though... in articulation mostly.
                        Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

This Monster Hunters line was a real "blink, and you'll miss it" thing. I was collecting modern stuff then, and I always loved monsters. I maybe saw the line once at retail, and it was the humans at a KB. I was hopping the border every two weeks at this point. Years later, I picked up the DVD of the show and put it on for my kids as I made dinner. They came running up after ten minutes and said, "Dad, this is so boring!".
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

I kind of liked this toy line and I have to admit to being guilty of somewhat liking the cartoon too...LOL! It was a goofy 90s thing, but I do love my Universal Monsters, so this cartoon and toy line had me intrigued. I collected the whole set and even customized the Mummy and Shelly Frank figures (based on the prototype photos).

Dana
                            Last edited by danadoll; Nov 11, '22, 1:34 PM.
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎