Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

I really enjoyed the first Black Panther movie, we saw it a few times in the theater, and have tuned in a few times on TV.

We went to see Wakanda Forever yesterday, and we were both disappointed in it overall. The story just wasn't very good, and it seemed to really drag on & on & on despite the cinematic introduction of Talokan and its inhabitants. The underwater sequences were too dark & murky to appreciate, and aside from being physically attractive, Namor didn't leave much of an impression, just kind of bland & uninteresting. Which is too bad, we were both hopeful that his character would help distract from the glaring absence of T'Challa.

Just my opinion, but I think it may have been a better idea to let the franchise rest a little longer, use the original script idea, and then either recast the role of T'Challa outright or by an introduction to an alternative T'Challa via the multiverse. Either would've been a tough call considering CB's work is a large chunk of what made the first movie interesting (IMHO), but ultimately I think either of those two options would have resulted in a better picture than what we ended up with.

I find it hard to imagine that I would sit through this one again, at least not in its entirety.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Huh, I and my whole family and a few tag alongs enjoyed it. It got to me several times, and the message was a good one.
      sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Boyfriend & I went and watched it Thursday and enjoyed it. Its a good think we both watch subtitled movies/tv series because that seems to be the thing in Marvel movies now.

I like how the new MCU is nation building. With Shang-Chi we explored the far east side of the MCU, in Dr Strange we explored the multiverse and now with Black Panther 2 we explore more undiscovered countries.

Could this have used a Disney+ series to explain some things, yes and that would have taken out some of the slower aspects of the movie. There are plenty of stories afterwards that could use Disney+ series.
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Nov 13, '22, 9:02 PM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

I saw it on Friday and my wife and I enjoyed it. It was slow in parts, which I attributed to having to rebuild and do more setup again with the loss of T'Challa, instead moving completely forward with a new storyline. There were some missteps, like not enough Nakia, but I thought Namor was fine and a good comic representation of his personality from the earlier Marvel Comics I remember reading. Seeing Talokan and some characters fleshed out more would have been nice and would have made for a better connection and more empathy for the characters. I would have liked more of Namora.

There was also almost no connection to the rest of the MCU. Valentina Allegra de Fontaine was it, as far as I could tell. Seeing Bucky at the funeral would have been a small gesture, but a reminder that this is part of the greater MCU.

I liked the first Black Panther movie more, but I still enjoyed this one. It was a good movie, not a great one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The one thing that brings down the first Black Panther is the horrible rubbery CGI fight between T'Challa and Killmonger at the end. We rewatched it last week, and it looks worse now than even then. There was no ropey CG that pulled me out of the film in Wakanda Forever.
            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I thought it was a good movie. Not a great movie, but I don't expect every MCU movie to be great. I'm incredibly impressed at their batting average. It was definitely worth my time.

I thought there was a very good discussion about grief. About how it can consume you and define you if you let it. It was definitely too long, several scene unnecessarily long. Like the first movie, the lines between right and worng are pretty blurry at times.

I was a little uncomfortable with Namor's backstory changes, but they quickly made sense and still allowed Namor to be expressed in much the same way he is in the comics. He remains arrogant, angry, driven by the belief he is protecting his people, sometimes clever, sometimes short-sighted and pretty darn powerful.

It's also interesting to see how they are stringing together the Thunderbolts.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

Saw it yesterday, after four years, from the first film, it wasn't the sequel i wanted, there where good scenes and bad scenes and overall, it did it's job, it served it's point in introducing Namor, (no Sub Mariner????) and i have to admit i was not digging the whole TALOKAN concept. Why couldn't Namor just stayed ATLANTEAN??

What's next for Black Panther 3, 4, ???? I would very much like a WW II story featuring King T'Chaka fighting the NAZI's in WWII with CAP and/or with the INVADERS.

and more importantly, Rest in Power Chadwick Boseman. You are NOT forgotten.
                Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Nov 16, '22, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎