Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dungeons & Dragons Honor among thieves trailer.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I kinda dig it myself. I'm in no way a hardcore D&D guy, having never played a single game though, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

I think a live-action version of the old cartoon has a lot of poetential too, but I know while Hollywood has no original ideas left, they rarely seem to redo the RIGHT ideas that may be kinda fresh in a new context.
    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Werewolf
      New trailer.

These trailers just aren't good. Way too much Guardians of the Galaxy and too little D&D. The Led Zeppelin song adds nothing to it.
      the tone and vibe (including and maybe especially the choice of Zeppelin for the soundtrack) fits just about every D&D table I played at in the 80s and 90s, so for me, and my 40+ years of playing D&D, it is quintessential D&D. Wisecracks and one liners were part and parcel of the D&D experience (and if someone in the movie quotes Money Python and the Holy Grail somehow I might fall over laughing). Tables can vary, some are more serious/immersive than others, and liveplay like Critical Role have skewed a lot of folk's perception of what is D&D, but this hits all the right notes (and as far as too much GotG, my initial reaction to GotG when I first saw it was "wow, this feels like a D&D party in one of the campaigns I played when I was younger" so I don't think that is the criticism you think it is, they're not mutually exclusive and in fact are pretty much cut from the same cloth).

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

When I think of D&D I think more high fantasy than comedy or parody. Think Dragonslayer not Monty Python or Critical Role. But to each their own. I'm sure the movie is fine. Just personally the GOTG style trailers do nothing for me.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

looks like a fun movie. i am not really sure why they always go with comedy for D&D though. I never played the game but it just seems to me comedy doesn't really fit. the other move they had done years back with one of the Wayans brothers failed because it was silly. though I admit I did enjoy it well enough

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Why might they go with humor in D&D?

illustrations form 1E D&D DMG and PHB...

humor even permeates the game rules with puns and other verbal humor-the material component for the ESP spell in 1E was a copper piece i.e. "a penny for your thoughts" so yes it is epic adventure but humor has been woven in to it form its very inceeption.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
              Why might they go with humor in D&D?

illustrations form 1E D&D DMG and PHB...
              I don't claim to be a D&D expert like you guys. But I have been collecting it for some time. Here's a bit of my collection.

D&Dgames.JPG

When I think of D&D as a comedy I think Wizards and Warriors not GOTG. I don't get why this seems to bother you. There's no right or wrong in this. I'm glad you enjoy it. The trailers just don't work for me.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

Those characters act like they could have just as easily been dropped into any number of modern comedy/action/drama genres, all spouting the same attitude and snarky lines. But hopefully that's just the way they've packaged the trailer...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

Boyfriend & I just got back from watching the D&D movie and it was a fun movie. Lots of easter eggs for fans of the role-playing game and even a surprise cameo of another popular team of D&D.

It was worth the money to watch it at the theater and yes there is a silly md-credit scene.
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 2, '23, 4:19 PM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Glad to hear it was good.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Really liked this one. Lots of humor and heart. Who knew Michelle Rodriguez could be so funny?

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I saw it over the weekend. It isn't deep, but I thought it was a fun ride.

The plot definitely was a lot of "get the thing to get the thing", but in a way that felt very much like a real D&D campaign. I was also pleasantly surprised that there were no references to "saving throws", "hit points", dice rolling, etc. in an attempt at meta humor.

Also, not to spoil anything, but... greatest dragon in the history of cinema.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

The dragon is great. I saw it with a friend and knew it would be my wife’s favorite part of the movie when we watched it a couple of days later.

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

It was a fun movie. I hope they make more.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

We've never played the game, and we don't have any close personal ties to anyone who did, so our opinions may not hold much value. We both enjoyed it quite a bit and found it to be a fun and engaging fantasy/adventure film. It's certainly not an epic masterpiece by any stretch, but I could see myself taking it in again. The experience reminded my of how I felt about Stardust and perhaps even Van Helsing when I saw each of them for the first time.

Comment

• publiusr
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Aug 23, 2015

I loved the film.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡