X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Mego Oz? Because!

Does Mego Corp. still have the rights to The Wizard of Oz?

Flying Monkey (child body)--make it so!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I'd be surprised if they did.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

*sigh* 2018 does seem ages ago.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

2018 was sooo last decade. Get with the times, man.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i assume sales did not warrant continuing that line. it's a shame, they were great figures

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Imagine flying monkeys on child bodies with a downsized rebooted fly away action harness

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              i assume sales did not warrant continuing that line. it's a shame, they were great figures
              Yeah, I think that's pretty much what happened. They did a nice job on the card art for those and the figures looked good. I think it may have to do with certain licenses not gelling in the retail placement Mego gets? I don't know.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

it would have been nice to at least get Tin Man and Scarecrow before they abandoned the line. oh well, there are always the originals which can still be gotten for pretty cheap

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Yeah, I wish Mego was able to finish the Oz line too.

I don't recall how Mego had placement in stores in the 70s, but it would be cool if they could have different placement for different lines. Like The Wizard of Oz hanging in the girls doll aisle (or where ever might seem appropriate), while having Star Trek and Super-Heroes in the action figure aisle or collectibles wall. Maybe it would increase interest in different lines, where having Charlie's Angels on the same pegs as Planet Of The Apes might not. But that's not how it works, unfortunately, especially for a niche product. Although, Walmart did do a nice job with their Mego Monsters display, which might be the best that this idea could happen in this day and age.

Comment

• zeedox
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 10, 2007

Non MGM OZ?

Cant we get OZ based on the books without copyright too?

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      Yeah, I wish Mego was able to finish the Oz line too.

I don't recall how Mego had placement in stores in the 70s, but it would be cool if they could have different placement for different lines. Like The Wizard of Oz hanging in the girls doll aisle (or where ever might seem appropriate), while having Star Trek and Super-Heroes in the action figure aisle or collectibles wall. Maybe it would increase interest in different lines, where having Charlie's Angels on the same pegs as Planet Of The Apes might not. But that's not how it works, unfortunately, especially for a niche product. Although, Walmart did do a nice job with their Mego Monsters display, which might be the best that this idea could happen in this day and age.
                      Well, Mego back in the day was a major toy company like Mattel or Hasbro but the big difference today is they are more of an adult collector toy company like NECA. There is heavy competition for a much smaller space, so many licenses live or die on 1 or 2 figures. It's why we see Horror so much; it sells.

You're completely right on the idea that a Wal-Mart promotion could bring Oz back. A commitment to an end cap promotion could make almost anything happen.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Probably, but's it's MGM that sells.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Does Mego Corp. still have the rights to The Wizard of Oz?

Flying Monkey (child body)--make it so!
                          Oh, I SOOO wanted a flying monkey. The original set just seems incomplete without them.

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

Oz X Apes crossover, yes!

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

I agree about Mego adding the flying monkeys, they could have possibly put the flying monkey in with the wicked witch.
                              Maybe will see a custom of these from a member in the future?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎