Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Meaning of "Zur-En-Arrh" (Batman R.I.P.)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The Meaning of "Zur-En-Arrh" (Batman R.I.P.)

In the latest issue of "Batman:R.I.P." (Batman #677), there's graffiti throughout the story (Zur-En-Arrh)...when Batman is piecing together clues on the Batcomputer monitors he notices the repeated theme and, upon saying the phrase aloud, triggers some sort of post-hypnotic suggestion.

It was bugging me that I've come across Zur-En-Arrh before in a Batman-related capacity but I couldn't recall. So I went to my trusty Batman Encyclopedia (by Michael Fleisher) and looked up "Zur-En-Arrh". Sure enough it was there, the last entry in the book...

Zur-En-Arrh was the home planet of Tlano, the man who was secretly the "Batman of Planet X" from Batman #113 (Feb. 1958).

Grant Morrison has said that he considers everything is part of continuity...and it appears that he's focusing in on a certain time period to draw story elements from, as witnessed by the recent reappearance of Bat-Mite and the Club of Heroes.

So I wonder what connection the R.I.P. story has with the Batman of Planet X? Morrison could have picked any mumbo-jumbo phrase to be the catalyst for the post-hypnotic suggestion...but he didn't. He picked one that has some meaning. Know if I only knew what it was....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Maybe he's the new Batman? Or, even better, the current Batman isn't even Wayne, he's the Batman from Planet X. Perhaps the new Batman will be the returned from Planet X Bruce Wayne.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Maybe he's the new Batman? Or, even better, the current Batman isn't even Wayne, he's the Batman from Planet X. Perhaps the new Batman will be the returned from Planet X Bruce Wayne.

So maybe the return of the first Batman refers to this Planet X guy?

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

I thought the return of the first Batman referred to Thomas Wayne, who wore a similar Bat-costume to a masquerade ball before the murders. According to the old-school origin, he rubbed gangster Lew Moxon the wrong way and Moxon hired Joe Chill to put a hit on Thomas and Martha Wayne.

The Batman from Planet X was influenced by the early Silver Age Earth-1 Batman, not the other way around...

But you never know with Morrison's crazy mind...anything is possible.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Well, they could go with the original plan for the "Clone Saga". Bruce Wayne goes to Planet X. He doesn't return to Earth, but the Planet X Batman does, living out Wayne's life. Then the REAL Bruce Wayne returns in this storyline, thus the Original Batman returning.

It's nuts, insane, and it could very well be where Morrison is going, or where he wants you to think he's going.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Well, they could go with the original plan for the "Clone Saga". Bruce Wayne goes to Planet X. He doesn't return to Earth, but the Planet X Batman does, living out Wayne's life. Then the REAL Bruce Wayne returns in this storyline, thus the Original Batman returning.

It's nuts, insane, and it could very well be where Morrison is going, or where he wants you to think he's going.

Chris
            Yeah - I knew the initial rumor was TW. Maybe misdirection, who knows. I found out my brother is buying the storyline, so I get to read it for free.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
              Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The old switcheroo.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Maybe everything has really been happening on Planet X? Just another idea being thrown out there.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ OOOOOh, that is a even better twist.

Comment

• mitchedwards
                    Mego Preservation Society
                    • May 2, 2003

Synopsis for "Batman - The Superman of Planet X"

The Batman of the planet, Zur En Arrh, teleports the real Batman to his homeworld. On Zur-En-Arrh, Bruce Wayne has powers equitible to that of Superman. He assists the alien Batman in fighting off a horde of robot invaders. After the robots are destroyed, the alien Batman sends Bruce Wayne back home. He gives him his Bat-Radia device as a keepsake.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe everything has really been happening on Planet X? Just another idea being thrown out there.
                      Now that would be wild. I may have to pick up the TPB of this provided it ends well, and not with a "whole new beginning until a new creative team undoes everything".

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Thanks guys, now I'm thinking about doing a custom Batman from Planet X.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

OK, I was reading one of the DCNation columns at the back of a new comic, and DiDio mentions that RIP doesn't stand for the traditional meaning. What could it be? Really is Pennyworth???

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

^ I read that too and was wondering what it could be...Because of the possible Batman-X connection I was thinking the "IP" part could be "Inter-Planetary" but have no clue for the "R".

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

R.I.P.(off)?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡