• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nubee
    Career Member
    • Feb 15, 2010

Hammer Mummy

6.jpg

I think Mego is using paper mache instead of cloth on the Hammer Mummy. Whud the heck!!! Right outta the package, first bend on the figure's left knee and I get a tear. Maybe it was just that knee area, I will try the figure's right knee, first bend, I get another tear. I guess the reason some folks who has the Topps Mummy has a hard time moving the joints, are well, it just wasn't meant to be moved. It's not an 'action-figure,' we purchased a bloody statue. I could have sworn the package states 14 points of articulation. Maybe it should also state, do not bend the joints like a regular Mego otherwise the paper mache suit will tear. I really don't know what Mego is doing: Giving us a Sidekick body, an improved but still Sidekick body and now tearable suits. Hopefully, CTVT will make a replaceable mummy suit for this Mego mess of a figure. The regular generic Mummy, released a few years ago, is a fantastic figure and I love it.....what the heck happened here?
    Last edited by nubee; Jul 12, '22, 4:12 AM.
  • Count_Popula
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 28, 2018

Geez. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be careful not to try and move mine too much. As it is, I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get one of the ones with holes in the chest.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

I left mine in the package and after this review, that's where he is staying.
      Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• zeedox
        Career Member
        • Aug 10, 2007

I do have to say the Mummy himself was a bit of a stiff walker. I always thought of the Mego body as a base that then
        extends itself to the character. I mean we already had the pajama suit mummy this is another take on it i guess.

Then again I haven't opened mine so it could very well be a serious issue. I think I can recall similar thoughts all the way
        back to the EMCE Karloff Mummy.

Comment

• Count_Popula
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 28, 2018

I have the Karloff EMCE Mummy and its legs are indeed stiff, but its arms move up & down freely. I like it better than the recent Mego redo; I don't believe the Mego version has the ring, for one thing. I also bought a custom Kharis Mummy, since apparently Universal won't allow one.

Comment

• nubee
            Career Member
            • Feb 15, 2010

6a.jpg

"Dang What happened to your knees?" said the generic Mummy.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think that mummies bend their knees in the first place. Maybe that's why...

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

It's paint on material. The problems were kind of inevitable with that approach. Would have been better to make the bandages brown and maybe do a little lighter highlighting here and there if needed.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2019

What did they do, wrap the figure up THAN applied paint to it? Does the costume come off?

If it can, maybe swap out the current body for a black one so the tears aren't as obvious?
                  Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

The hits just keep rolling.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

They should have painted the whole body the same color as the hands. If the flesh knees showing is an eye sore for you, I would just paint them a dark grey, cheesy idea maybe but it would at least look better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Please Mego don’t paint bodies cast them in the right color. And give monsters monster hands

Originally posted by TrekStar
                        They should have painted the whole body the same color as the hands. If the flesh knees showing is an eye sore for you, I would just paint them a dark grey, cheesy idea maybe but it would at least look better.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Please Mego don’t paint bodies cast them in the right color. And give monsters monster hands
                          They've done it before... on Lucotus of Borg, his black hand is painted up to the wrist. It's not like we can even SEE his wrists... dunno why they didn't just give him a black hand.
                          Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

They need to stop it. It looks really cheap. The Bride was painted too full body.

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                            They've done it before... on Lucotus of Borg, his black hand is painted up to the wrist. It's not like we can even SEE his wrists... dunno why they didn't just give him a black hand.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                              The hands and arms are probably all on one set of tooling, possibly even with the legs and feet. It would be a lot of wasted material to produce all the pieces in black to have to scrap all the extra parts to get one black hand out of it. That's why they painted the one black hand. The torso and pelvis are all probably on one set of tooling, too. The cost of the figures would go way up to have to produce the single hand in black, even if the hands and arms are the only items in one set of tooling. It's even possible that there is more than one set of arms and hands in one set of tooling. If I were the company owner, I would have the tooling made with multiple sets in one set of tooling to make production take less time and produce as many parts as possible with each injection cycle.
                              Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 14, '22, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎