X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Count_Popula
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 28, 2018

My Wave 1 New Megos are falling apart

Dang. At about the same time recently, Mirror Kirk and Mr. Sulu suddenly fell apart when the inside bands broke. I want to note that neither figure has been subjected to harsh conditions or excessively played with. They've spent most of the past 4 years on display.

Fortunately, I have backups for both, still boxed. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue - perhaps just a manufacturing defect from when Mego was just getting restarted in 2018?
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Isn't there a way you could restring them rather than opening your (sealed) backup figures?

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

THe initital run of figures seemed to have a weaker plastic; you can often see the loop on the arms where the bands attach stretching as time goes on. I don't see that as much in later figures. The big weakness seems to be the lack of the little extra metal hook in the hip joint. The band goes right through the plastic hook on the pin through the top of the thigh, and I think that puts more pressure in all direction on the plastic hook rather than just a straight pull with the metal hook added.

Comment

• Count_Popula
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 28, 2018

I did a little deeper digging into the forum and found out that when EMCE released its Trek figures more than a decade ago, this falling apart thing was also an issue for some buyers. So I wonder if the Mego relaunch 4 years ago was perhaps relying a little too closely on the EMCE construction plan?

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Count_Popula
          I did a little deeper digging into the forum and found out that when EMCE released its Trek figures more than a decade ago, this falling apart thing was also an issue for some buyers. So I wonder if the Mego relaunch 4 years ago was perhaps relying a little too closely on the EMCE construction plan?
          If by too close, you mean the exact same, then yes. The new Mego figures were just EMCE figures with a different stamp on the butt for all intents and purposes.

They were all strung too tight with the dreadful EMCE style hooks, etc.

A certain percentage are bound to break in package, but thankfully I've never had that problem. It's usually if you try to pose or "play" with them that they had issues. Nothing a good restring (and removing those stupid hooks and rubber bands) can't fix, though.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎