Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Interesting discussion… I personally don’t see a drop in quality, other than the storytelling seems listless… right now. But that could change.

I guess I’m just losing interest in all the individual stories and their own little battles against yet another entity bent on destroying the universe. Eternals… Moon Knight… Loki… multi-verse rips… there are a lot of different threats to human existence and it is not apparent to me how they are all connected. It’s a tangle that isn’t as much fun to watch (yet), not like the single baddie Thanos was fun to watch.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by YoungOnce
      Interesting discussion… I personally don’t see a drop in quality, other than the storytelling seems listless… right now. But that could change.

I guess I’m just losing interest in all the individual stories and their own little battles against yet another entity bent on destroying the universe. Eternals… Moon Knight… Loki… multi-verse rips… there are a lot of different threats to human existence and it is not apparent to me how they are all connected. It’s a tangle that isn’t as much fun to watch (yet), not like the single baddie Thanos was fun to watch.
      I think Infinity War ended at a very special time for a lot of us, it's out of the ordinary to keep people that engaged for that long. I certainly felt that my favourite aspects of the MCU were gone and I don't begrudge it in any manner, it ended on a high note.

Personally, I'll admit I don't view the new movies as "events" like I used to, they're just world-building movies. I've enjoyed a couple of them and 1 or 2 of the series but it's missing some zeal. I look forward to the final Guardians film and I think the Fantastic Four is the best bet to get me engaged again.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• 80's Kid
        • Jul 3, 2022

Originally posted by palitoy
        I think Infinity War ended at a very special time for a lot of us, it's out of the ordinary to keep people that engaged for that long. I certainly felt that my favourite aspects of the MCU were gone and I don't begrudge it in any manner, it ended on a high note.

Personally, I'll admit I don't view the new movies as "events" like I used to, they're just world-building movies. I've enjoyed a couple of them and 1 or 2 of the series but it's missing some zeal. I look forward to the final Guardians film and I think the Fantastic Four is the best bet to get me engaged again.
        I completely agree. Part of the lack of zeal I think is we now have a steady diet of superhero movies. I love steak and pizza but if that's all I ate I'd get sick of it. I go into each of these movies now apathetic. Sometimes I'm blown away, like with the last Spider-man and the new Batman. Other times I walk out content but unaffected.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I think Feige and Marvel are aware the "event-i-ness" of the films has ebbed for now, even if their marketing team won't admit it. I think that's one reason they've taken the streaming shows in different directions. It really is fleshing out the universe and allowing them to tell different types of stories, with different voices.

Even the plot of Love and Thunder is a much more personal journey-type story than the "stop the villain from destroying the universe". He had a specific goal in mind, and Thor needed to stop him. The ending was quite unexpected, actually.
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 80's Kid
            I completely agree. Part of the lack of zeal I think is we now have a steady diet of superhero movies. I love steak and pizza but if that's all I ate I'd get sick of it. I go into each of these movies now apathetic. Sometimes I'm blown away, like with the last Spider-man and the new Batman. Other times I walk out content but unaffected.
            Yeah, it's what the economists like to call "The law of diminishing returns" meaning, your first car is more special than your 7th. It can be applied to this case swimmingly. It truly is an embarrassment of riches these days and yeah, I like some of it, meh about other things. It's all good.

Personally, I never got "deep" into Marvel Comics, so a lot of these characters mean nothing to me. That doesn't mean I won't try them but it's all on the movie to make me like these characters.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^I'm more of a DC guy through and through, but the MCU has done a great job of making me care about characters I only knew from OHOTMU entries. The DC films have often had the opposite effect on me, and made me care about the characters LESS in some cases.
              sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

I got called “dramatic” a few years back for a “me, too” reply when someone said they were kind of bowing out of seeing every single MCU movie. : )

I did see “Black Widow” last year and enjoyed it. I went to that one simply because it was nice to be able to go to a theatre again. Before that, I believe “Thor: Ragnarok” was the last MCU movie I had seen. At any rate, I still look forward to the Thor movies and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies so I’ll catch this when it hits my theatre next week. (I still have not seen the last two Avenger Movies, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, the Spider-Man movies, the latest Dr. Strange. To that I say, I never thought we’d see a day where we were so flush with Superhero flicks that I could pick and chose and not feel obligated to see everything.)

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎