X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Thor Love and Thunder

Late last night boyfriend & had our chance to watch Thor 4 with the other media. You have to know in advance that you are going to watch an Action/Comedy movie. It also helps if you know some history of Marvel deities to help figure out some of the deeper parts. All-in-all it is a good popcorn movie worth seeing at least once in the theater. There are two extra scenes in the credits. The first one I hope will be the bases for Thor 5, while the second one wraps up the movie.
    thor-love-and-thunder_46070_600_0_90.jpg
    Thor's retirement is interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher, who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie, Korg and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster, who - to Thor's surprise - inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher's vengeance and stop him before it's too late.
    I will be posting laster in the weekend the bios so keeping checking back.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Jul 8, '22, 11:21 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Hemsworth is physically the largest & most muscular he's ever been in the role. (He's also playing Hulk Hogan in an upcoming biopic). The dude has been pumping some serious iron.

Story wise, the movie draws haphazardly from various elements of Jason Aaron's run.

Many will (rightfully) find the movie's relentlessly irreverent and overly comedic tone tiresome, but fans of the previous Taika Waititi Thor movie will probably enjoy this.
    Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 9, '22, 6:11 AM.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• libby 1957dog
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 3, 2009

big thor fan since the early 1960s ,from what ive seen this and these last film aren't for me
      ,although despite their limitations and faults i can find something in the first two to enjoy ,but these later ones are like the austin powers version of a superhero film
      so
      as im probably out of step with most over the treatment of thor in his last two flicks i expected"it's another Marvel film, no more no less" type reviews so seeing people actively dislike this one is odd ,and worryingly its its not the first time I've read/heard in recent days that the CGI is terrible.from what ive seen over the last year or two ,admittedly not much but marvel seems to be going backwards in terms of quality of the special effects in these flicks

or maybe there's just more of them that stand out
      SPOILERS IN VIDEO BELOW

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

People are still watching these movies?

I gave up on Marvel after the terrible Avengers: Endgame.

Comic book movies simply aren’t fun anymore. It’s nonstop explosions and cringey one-liners.

Other than Cobra Kai and a precious few others, the film and television industry in America is dead. Devoid of talent and creativity. 99% of it is just overproduced, big budget cookie cutter garbage.

Game of Thrones is a perfect example of where the industry is now. If the studio has an older, preexisting work created decades earlier that they adhere to religiously, they can create passable entertainment. But the minute they deviate from that source material, or run out of material as GoT did, the yawning talent gap is exposed.

Marvel and DC have almost 100 years of material they can mine for stories. But nah. Why mine stories from the golden age or silver age of comics when they were selling in the millions, when you could instead create hot new garbage, or mine from books written yesterday that 10 people bought and hated.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
          People are still watching these movies?

I gave up on Marvel after the terrible Avengers: Endgame.

Comic book movies simply aren’t fun anymore. It’s nonstop explosions and cringey one-liners.

Other than Cobra Kai and a precious few others, the film and television industry in America is dead. Devoid of talent and creativity. 99% of it is just overproduced, big budget cookie cutter garbage.

Game of Thrones is a perfect example of where the industry is now. If the studio has an older, preexisting work created decades earlier that they adhere to religiously, they can create passable entertainment. But the minute they deviate from that source material, or run out of material as GoT did, the yawning talent gap is exposed.

Marvel and DC have almost 100 years of material they can mine for stories. But nah. Why mine stories from the golden age or silver age of comics when they were selling in the millions, when you could instead create hot new garbage, or mine from books written yesterday that 10 people bought and hated.
          I'd like to give this post a "thumbs up".

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Yeah… the Marvel movie universe has kind of wandered into the weeds… there seems to be no “end game” now, pardon the allusion.

The arc of movies that ended with End Game looks like it might have been the prefect place to jump off the bandwagon.

Marvel has trod into new territory for movies. TV shows, comics, and strips have had to learn how to tell a serialized story that never ends, where movies get to (generally) wrap things up in a tidy bow. Since every Marvel movie plot revolves around some galactic threat to the known universe, they have nowhere else to escalate to. And now that we have endless access to thousands of Captain Americas, Thors, Iron Man, etc… where are the stakes?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I liked it. It was a fun time at the theater. I expected a lot of irreverent humor, and I was fine with it, 90% of the time. There were a couple of too goofy for me moments, but the movie had a lot of heart. The CGI looked fine to me.

Obviously people are still watching these movies. They make billions of dollars. There's no need to insult people just because you don't personally like it. I think it's becoming en vogue in certain circles to hate on these films.

The fact that old, honestly ridiculous films are lauded around here, and these new, honestly ridiculous films are taken to task is funny to me. This is the modern version of DeLaurentis' Flash Gordon. Or, well, Ragnorak was, but you get my point.
              sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I liked it. It was a fun time at the theater. I expected a lot of irreverent humor, and I was fine with it, 90% of the time. There were a couple of too goofy for me moments, but the movie had a lot of heart. The CGI looked fine to me.

Obviously people are still watching these movies. They make billions of dollars. There's no need to insult people just because you don't personally like it. I think it's becoming en vogue in certain circles to hate on these films.

The fact that old, honestly ridiculous films are lauded around here, and these new, honestly ridiculous films are taken to task is funny to me. This is the modern version of DeLaurentis' Flash Gordon. Or, well, Ragnorak was, but you get my point.
                I didn't insult anyone, but rather expressed surprise that people are still watching them.

The difference between these films and Flash Gordon, or any of the old Harryhausen films, is that the people working on those films had talent, as I mentioned previously.

It's not just Marvel movies either, as I also stated. American cinema (and American TV too) has an extreme dearth of talent at the moment, and it's showing. I think the womp-womp-womp trailers and 2-hour-long explosions are starting to wear thin for some people. Some people like that, and it's fine, but you have to stop getting offended that some people don't. It's not an attack on you. It's an attack on the product.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

The difference between these films and Flash Gordon, or any of the old Harryhausen films, is that the people working on those films had talent, as I mentioned previously.
                  No, that's not insulting at all.

I wasn't personally offended. But to make generalized statements like that is insulting. And you're insulting the talent of very creative people, by saying they have no talent. Maybe they aren't entertaining you, and you don't like their work, and that's fine. That doesn't mean they don't have talent, and aren't doing good work in their field. They are entertaining millions of people.
                  sigpic

Comment

• 80's Kid
                    • Jul 3, 2022

It was fine. I thought the humor in Ragnorok was great, but in this one was a bit forced. The one thing that I thought was bad was the second end credits scene (NO SPOILER). I thought it was pointless. End credits scenes used to tease us about what's coming next. This one tells us what we already knew.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

No, that's not insulting at all.

I wasn't personally offended. But to make generalized statements like that is insulting. And you're insulting the talent of very creative people, by saying they have no talent. Maybe they aren't entertaining you, and you don't like their work, and that's fine. That doesn't mean they don't have talent, and aren't doing good work in their field. They are entertaining millions of people.
                      I’m not making generalized statements. I stated specifically what I don’t like, and why I don’t like it. I don’t think most of these people are talented. If you want to get offended on their behalf, that’s up to you. I personally don’t understand how or why normal adult human beings get personally offended over attacks against multibillion dollar corporations or the junk food entertainment they produce.

There was once upon a time when we could all agree that McDonalds was junk food, regardless of whether or not we partook in it ourselves. “Yeah, it’s junk, but damn it’s tasty!”

Now we’ve devolved to the point where honest criticism is dismissed as “toxic fandom” or “gatekeeping” or whatever buzzword is en vogue at the moment, followed by a great wailing and gnashing of teeth by corporate white knights who tear at their hair every time something other than unparalleled superlatives are used to describe one’s feeling about the product being served.

“How dare you!” they shout in the best Greta Thunberg imitation they can muster. “The current thing is the best thing ever. The old thing wasn’t any better. Listen as I deconstruct the old thing everyone liked before, and explain how the old thing really wasn’t ever that good, and how you’re just a hypocrite if you don’t consume the new thing with the same gusto as you consumed the old thing!”

Yeah. No. The early Marvel movies were good. The new ones aren’t. I’m sorry if that upsets a key grip in Los Angeles who just happens to end up scrolling by this post at the Mego Museum. I’m sure you’re a good person, but your movies suck. I don’t want you dead or crucified, but I don’t enjoy your product anymore. I wish you all the best though!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

The dip in quality in the films is subjective. I don't see it. Many folks don't see it. Many of the creatives have been there since day one. If that's the way you perceive it, that's your perogative. But it's not an absolute.

And I never brought up "toxic fandom" or "gatekeeping". I just think it's erroneous to state the people working on these films are untalented.

My familly and I connect with the Marvel movies and series. It's something we all enjoy watching together. So far none of them (even The Eternals, which felt like a bit of an outlier, content-wise) have been less than entertaining, and that's all I personally expect from a popcorn action flick. Your milege obviously varies.
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

My familly and I connect with the Marvel movies and series. It's something we all enjoy watching together. So far none of them (even The Eternals, which felt like a bit of an outlier, content-wise) have been less than entertaining, and that's all I personally expect from a popcorn action flick. Your milege obviously varies.

Films are entirely personal, as Richard Feynman wrote "What Do You Care What Other People Think?", I like what I like and my opinion should never be conflated with "fact".

I find I'm interested in such fan debates until the vitriolic comments roll in, no time for it. As Tony Stark said, "Resentment is corrosive".
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

The dip in quality in the films is subjective. I don't see it. Many folks don't see it. Many of the creatives have been there since day one. If that's the way you perceive it, that's your perogative. But it's not an absolute.

And I never brought up "toxic fandom" or "gatekeeping". I just think it's erroneous to state the people working on these films are untalented.

I’m glad you enjoy it. Like I said earlier, junk food has an audience. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with liking it. I like a lot of crappy films and TV shows. Everyone is free to enjoy what they want, nor should they care whether or not anyone else likes it.

The corporate white knighting is the only thing that baffles me about these kinds of discussions. I think George Lucas said it best recently when he compared selling Star Wars to Disney with selling his kids to white slavers. That’s about the level of respect they deserve, and no more.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                              Hemsworth is physically the largest & most muscular he's ever been in the role. (He's also playing Hulk Hogan in an upcoming biopic). The dude has been pumping some serious iron..
                              Not just pumping iron, but “slightly” juiced as well. It will be of course prescribed and carefully supervised. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t work out, of course he does, like a mad man. He also eats a strict high protein-low carb diet in preparation for the role. Obviously after the shoot, he gets smaller. It’s impossible to maintain that physique for long period of time. Just like pro-bodybuilders do in the off season.

He also has great genetics as well.

Also, they also slightly digitally enhanced his nude scene to make him look near Hulk-like. When you see him in production screens, he has never been that big. Hemsworth himself has said this.
                              Last edited by Hector; Jul 10, '22, 4:14 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎