X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Proper dye procedure for female heads

I want more color variety than what is available.

Which dye should I use should I remove the hair first?

The eye paint and lip color are fine, I just want colors like Terra cotta, dark brown, green, and that weird shade Starfire I'd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    JediJaida
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

If the hair is black it shouldn't need to be removed. I'd use some dye for synthetics. I use iDye Poly. Here's a link...

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

I've tried using Ritt dye, which works on the old Mego heads, on an FTC female head, and it didn't take. The Mego heads seem to be very similar (stiffer than the old days), so I'm not sure it would work any better there. I would worry about the dye affecting the white of the eyes, though (a problem I've had in the past), if it does take. Anyone know a good way to protect them?

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
        Museum Patron
        • Aug 23, 2019

Liquid mask from a hobby shop should work, or silicone.
        I died Peg Bundy green, although I only had the one colour and no mixing guide, she took the tinting.
        I might try alcohol ink, and let you know what happens. Rit has a colour blending chart iirc . I didn’t notice the whites of her eyes, and her hair is still reddish brown.

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

I use the Ritz's Dyemore Synthetic Dye and the mixture ratio for dyeing plastics
          (two cups cool water, one cup 100% acetone, and the dye mix using the "Napkin" recipe for the color mix I want off of
          https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/, placed in a glass mason jar) and dyeing old Mego heads, CTVT heads, and Mego 2.0 heads has worked splendidly.
          I haven't done a female head with hair yet ( I have done Juliet from BBBP Lost, which has molded hair) and it worked well
          to turn her into She-Hilk.

I'll have to make the attempt and see how it turns out for a female head with hair and video the process.

Example: Here are two Atlanteans I made recently.
          atlanteans_tjackson.jpg

I used a Mego 2.0 Roman head, and a Mego 2.0 Disco Drac head.
          I used the recipe for "Blue Cake" on the ritdyemore site. Both where put in the
          the Roman on the left came out a more Teal color, while the Disco Drac came out the exact shade needed.
          Whites of the eyes aren't really affected by the dye that I have noticed, and as you can see.
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^That's clever, they look good. I've never felt the need to use acetone as a mordant--I'm surprised it doesn't affect the paints but perhaps because it's diluted.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎