Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Action Figure without a Cartoon/TV/Movie Tie-in?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I only had a couple as a kid (I remember a Gorilla I used later as a Grodd stand in with Super Powers and earlier as an alien opponent with my Kenner Star Wars and Mego Buck Rogers figures) and I have a handful now I got at an estate sale, but I never bought them "in package" to know how they were labelled or sold. I have a collecting acquaintance who is huge into the space/astronaut line of Adventure people and it is one of his top 3 toy lines of all time, and most of what I know about them comes from osmosis through him. I just know they was a wide range available for a long period of years (outlasting a large number of other action figure lines), but without doing some heavy lifting research and googling, that's the limit of my knowledge of them.

I don't know about their popularity in terms of collectability, but they certainly were popular in terms of playability and longevity.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

Major Matt Mason, still one of my favorites.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by msenger76
        sorry guys. I thought thread said cartoon/tv/movie and didn't realize comic books fell into that category. disregard my ignorance for confusing printed comics with moving media
        No worries, but the OP specified nothing from a licensed property in the first post, and any Marvel line would be a licensed property with or without a cartoon or TV show.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Good suggestions! I had thought about Mego's generic pirates and knights, but I somehow overlooked Action Jackson.

As far as GI Joe and Barbie goes, unfortunately, they don't make the cut. Barbie made a lot of direct-to-video animation, and GI Joe obviously has the cartoon and the movies. It may not be fair to lump the Adventure Team with the Real American Hero... But what can I say? I don't make the rules. (Oh wait, I did make that rule...) In any case, my thought is that if a "brand" is popular enough, then Hollywood usually comes around and tries to make content for it. Which is how you end with Taylor Lautner as Stretch Armstrong.

I purposely left what I meant by "biggest" vague. Popularity? Sales? Importance? I guess one way to do it would be by production longevity...

Big Jim =15 years
          Johnny West = 11 years
          Adventure People = 10 years
          Major Matt Mason = ~10 years

I guess I shouldn't be surprised... heck, it has big right in the name! That line had some legs. But still, that assumes longevity equates to "biggest"... which is debatable.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

The other part of my question was around "ones that you really love." I have enjoyed seeing some of the suggestions you have there. For instance, I only vaguely remember Super Naturals (in my mind, I think I had merged them with Visionaries). One of my favorites was "Tonka Air Raiders" which was a 2" figure with airships and vehicles. They had "stomp rocket" style missiles that would fire when you squeezed part of it. I was a little too old for them when they came out, so I mostly admired them from a distance... but I thought they were cool.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Matt Mason lasted ten years?

In retrospect, Big Jim's PACK seems a natural for a cartoon.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Matt Mason ran from 67 to 71.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Matt Mason ran from 67 to 71.
                  Thanks. Wikipedia said it ended in the "mid-70s" but I had my doubts.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I think Guardians of the Gemstones might have made a good cartoon, has a knock-off ever had a show?
                    I'm pretty sure a Golden Girl cartoon was at least in the planning stages. Also, from what I have read, a couple of years ago a one single Golden Girl animation cel turned up on ebay. Nobody knows anything about it. Not if it was from a cartoon, commercial or even the animation studio.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      I'm pretty sure a Golden Girl cartoon was at least in the planning stages. Also, from what I have read, a couple of years ago a one single Golden Girl animation cel turned up on ebay. Nobody knows anything about it. Not if it was from a cartoon, commercial or even the animation studio.
                      OMG! I found a clip of the unreleased Golden Girl cartoon. Skip ahead to 31 sec.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

That. Is. Awesome.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by sprytel
                          I purposely left what I meant by "biggest" vague. Popularity? Sales? Importance? I guess one way to do it would be by production longevity...
                          I think this is a great question! I also think it forces us to look back to the Mego and pre-Mego times since it seems that almost every major toy line since the Micronauts comes with some sort of media licensing support like a movie, TV show or comic book. I remember coming across Matt Mason stuff as a kid even though it was really before my time.

Did Monster High figures ever get a show? I remember picking up a few for my nieces. I'm pretty sure Bratz got a cartoon. Those are the biggest modern lines I can think of. Wait! What about Furbys? They were pretty popular. Did they have any media?
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Evel Knievel?

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Wee67
                              Did Monster High figures ever get a show? I remember picking up a few for my nieces. I'm pretty sure Bratz got a cartoon. Those are the biggest modern lines I can think of.
                              Monster High had a web series on their youtube channel which I guess is the equivalent of a TV series in this computer age. They also had some specials and movies on Nickelodeon. The movies would introduce new characters that would tie-in with a new line of dolls, and the already existing characters would get new releases wearing fashions and hairstyles that they wore in the movie.

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by RonnyG
                                Monster High had a web series on their youtube channel which I guess is the equivalent of a TV series in this computer age. They also had some specials and movies on Nickelodeon. The movies would introduce new characters that would tie-in with a new line of dolls, and the already existing characters would get new releases wearing fashions and hairstyles that they wore in the movie.
                                I assume that eliminates them, too. I see there was a Furby movie, too, so I guess it's back to the 70s
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎