Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Action Figure without a Cartoon/TV/Movie Tie-in?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Glamour Gals
    Major Matt Mason
    Johnny West
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• mike69
      Museum Super Collector
      • May 4, 2011

Electroman and Zogg

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I agree that 60s and 70s Joe should win this, but OP did rule them out completely in the post. Captain Action is a maybe if he were really a separate line but he is more a product of his costumes and all of them were licensed properties with media tie ins. If anything, he is the King of Media tie ins. I think Matt, Jim, and Johnny have this contest. Multiple characters and accessories, playsets, outfits, vehicles.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Stretch monster

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by drquest
            Matt Mason was quite popular
            This.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by MRP
              There's a modern Stretch Armstrong animated series, but I am not sure that disqualifies it in context of the original question...

-M
              If it disqualifies GI Joe then it does Stretch too.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

A very good point is made for Supernaturals.

I think Guardians of the Gemstones might have made a good cartoon, has a knock-off ever had a show?

Personally I loved the designs for Manglor and would have loved media for it, but that line was infamous.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

I’d agree with those who’ve mentioned Major Matt Mason. That was a great line.

It’s hard to think of any figure lines after the Six Million Dollar Man that didn’t have any tie ins whatsoever.

Barbie should get some credit, because as far as I know she went for years without any books, movies, or TV shows.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

Pulsar and Hypnos might be the best or biggest stand alone action figure line after the Bionic line. Was Gre-Gory the Bat part of the line? Shortly after that, the laws about tv cartoons and toy lines eased and it was all HeMan and TMNT and RAH after that. I think Final Faction feom Dollar Tree might be the only current line that. I know they have one episode of a house made cartoon but it is more like a long commercial to me since it is just the one episode.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I’m not sure I understand the question? but I was going to say Mego’s Action Jackson, I don’t ever remember a movie or tv show of AJ back in the day? Its certainly not the biggest but pretty much all the other megos made had either a tv show-movie or animated series or comic book done before during and after.

I know there was a movie later on called Action Jackson with Carl Weathers and Vanity I think? but it did not refer in any way to the action figure. My apologies if I misunderstood the question.
                      Last edited by TrekStar; Jun 25, '22, 8:22 PM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

I mentioned AJ and Dinah as being in contention. I just didn't think they were that big or commercially successful as compared to some others.

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

I mentioned earlier, and no one else has commented on it, but how long did the Fisher Price Adventure People line last and how many different figures figures/sets/vehicles were released for that line of action figures?

-M
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by MRP
                            I mentioned earlier, and no one else has commented on it, but how long did the Fisher Price Adventure People line last and how many different figures figures/sets/vehicles were released for that line of action figures?

-M
                            Fisher Price Adventure People and Barbie are maybe the two biggest examples given so far.

Comment

• msenger76
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 3, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                              Secret Wars was a huge comic book event.
                              sorry guys. I thought thread said cartoon/tv/movie and didn't realize comic books fell into that category. disregard my ignorance for confusing printed comics with moving media

Comment

• RonnyG
                                Career Member
                                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by MRP

-M
                                I don't know? I never played with them, but I have seen pictures of them. Did the figures even have names? Or were they just generic terms, like "Construction Worker."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎