Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Action Figure without a Cartoon/TV/Movie Tie-in?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

If comic books count,then that disqualifies G.I.Joe,whether it be 60s/70s version. He appeared in the Marvel comic for the 3 3/4" guys. Besides,hasn't 'Joe Colton',the name Hasbro gave to the original G.I.Joe been in TV or movies?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Evel had a couple movies and a few comics. Plus countless media appearances. I had thought about him but I disqualified him for those.

Comment

• msenger76
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 3, 2009

Barbie had 2 long running marvel comic series in the 90s. plus the gold key comics in the 60s. and made for video cartoon by the dozen so she is definately out

i think even 12" gi joe had 2 issues of showcase from DC in the 60s

Comment

• Mejo
          Museum Patron
          • Jun 30, 2022

Golden Girl and the Guardians of the Gemstones

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by msenger76
            Barbie..
            Does Barbie even qualify as an Action Figure? I thought you had to have a minimum amount of points of articulation before you can go from Doll to Action Figure. I could be wrong.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by J.B.
              Does Barbie even qualify as an Action Figure? I thought you had to have a minimum amount of points of articulation before you can go from Doll to Action Figure. I could be wrong.
              Even ignoring the fake doll/action figure divide, the average 70s/80s Barbie had ball neck, ball shoulders, twist waist, hips and jointed knees. Thats more articulation than the average 5 POA Star Wars style figures from the same era.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 28, '22, 9:10 PM.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                the average 70s/80s Barbie had ball neck, ball shoulders, twist waist, hips and jointed knees.
                Thanks Werewolf. I was thinking of the earlier Barbie figures and had no idea of their evolution. Wealth of knowledge, this place is.
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Heck, the Made to Move Barbies have way more articulation than the ones from the 70s and 80s. They even have swivel biceps and double jointed elbows and knees.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Made-to-move Barbies and Kens are pretty impressive mass-market dolls IMO.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Made-to-move Barbies and Kens are pretty impressive mass-market dolls IMO.
                      They are pretty amazing for the price point.

To be totally fair even the original 59 Barbie wasn't badly articulated. Had 5 POA same as Kenner SW. They then added bendable knees and twist waist in the mid 60s.

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        Even ignoring the fake doll/action figure divide, the average 70s/80s Barbie had ball neck, ball shoulders, twist waist, hips and jointed knees. Thats more articulation than the average 5 POA Star Wars style figures from the same era.
                        Very nice rebuttal.
                        I never considered Barbie's as dolls.
                        Dolls (to me) are either babies or rag dolls like Raggedy Ann.

When you get right down to it, there isn't much difference between a GI Joe or a Barbie.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by tay666
                          When you get right down to it, there isn't much difference between a GI Joe or a Barbie.
                          There really isn't any.

Ever since Hasbro coined the marketing term "action figure" our culture has kind of developed an almost visceral negative reaction to the word doll. Doll is not a bad word and none of it really makes any sense. Why are Hasbro's 5POA 12 inch Titan Heroes action figures when Mattel's 12 inch 22 POA Made to Move Barbies are dolls? Why was He-Man an action figure and She-Ra a doll when they both had the same articulation and punching action feature? Like I said, it doesn't really make any sense. It's just marketing term.
                          Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 30, '22, 7:10 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

My favorite randome use of action figure law is when people make a definition of doll and of action figure that makes the 12 inch Joe's and 8 inch Megos dolls and not action figures despite Joe being the primal archetype of the term.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

I personally don't draw much distinction between dolls and action figures. Although I love to poke the bear when people are clearly too uptight about whether GI Joe is a "doll" or Barbie is an "action figure".

But if you were to make a distinction, I think the only sensible one to make is: "soft goods" = doll / "no soft goods" = action figure. So Barbie is a doll. Mego is a doll. 12" GI Joe is a doll. 3.75" GI Joe is an action figure. Kenner Star Wars is an action figure. Etc. It also explains why some lines like She-Ra spark so much debate... because the figures are mostly molded like MOTU, but does consistently have fabric elements brought into it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

When the vintage Kenner SW line moved past vinyl capes they used a lot of soft goods. In vintage Motu Prince Adam had a fabric vest and Scareglow and King Randor had fabric capes. If She-Ra's fabric cape makes her a doll is Scare glow also a doll? Super Powers Consistently used a lot of soft goods. So then are they are also dolls. Again it doesn't really make any sense.
                                Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 30, '22, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎