X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Happy Summer Solstice

(or Winter Solstice for anyone in the Southern Hemisphere). Summer is officially here, though we're already into our second heatwave here.

What are some of your favorite memories of summer as a kid in the 70s or 80s?

mine were:

-riding bikes around the neighborhood to find kickball or Wiffle ball games to play in

-having a stack of comics or Hardy Boy books to read on the few rainy days I couldn't be outside playing

-having a mid-July birthday, one of only 2 times a year I would get new toys (Christmas being the other) and getting things like the Mighty Man and Monster Maker and the Spider-Man van for my Megos.

-baseball cards and listening to the Red Sox on a transistor radio while sitting on the front stoop hoping tonight would be the night Dad said hey let's go to Dairy Queen for an ice cream while we listened to the game in the car

-sprinklers-I never learned how to swim as a kid and we never could afford things like a pool, so running through the sprinkler on hot days was the best we could manage

Please share some of yours...

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

I hope our current weather isn't an indication of things to come:

So far, we've had six 90F+ days, when, if I understood the weatherman correctly, we usually average 7.4 90F/90F+ days in an average Summer season. Last week, we had severe storms throughout the entire state, and people were w/o power for days, and there's still *a lot* of cleanup going on...

But on the other side of the coin: When I was a kid in the 70s/80s, I just enjoyed Summer if for no other reason than to be out of that man made h*** called school. Grade school, middle school, or high school, I absolutely could *not* stand it. I'd take the overly hot and humid days of Summer over anything school offered.

As far as some of the things I did: I went down the road to the neighbors quite a bit, or rode my bike over to my cousins. And, once I got a little older (let's say age 12 and up, though I may have been a little younger), I'd watch Carson and NBC Letterman, and it got to the point where I stayed up all night long, almost always all of Summer vacation, then sleep all day (but no, I wasn't out partying or anything like that, just watching the talk shows and movies or TV shows I had taped...)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

our weather in NY has been cool this week. actually turned the a/c off and opened the windows. not that i am complaining about saving some money on electricity. hot/humid weather this weekend
      as kids were never in the house, always out and about having adventures and probably more often than not causing trouble, lol
      always out in the woods with our bikes, or without, but always having fun

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎