X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Sesame Street Ep. 0847 - The Wicked Witch

In this episode of Sesame Street, The Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton, reprising her role from The Wizard of Oz) wreaks havoc on the street when she loses her flying broomstick.

The stated curriculum goals of the episode were to demonstrate fear and "the value of planning by creating and implementing methods of retrieving the broom."[1]

The episode prompted an unusually large amount of mail responses from parents, almost entirely negative, within a short time frame. Typical responses included parents concerned that their children were afraid and now refused to watch the show, using such phrases as "screams and tears" and "the threat of the witch's power remains in children's eyes." A somewhat atypical missive came from a self-proclaimed Wiccan, concerned with the perpetuation of a negative fairy tale stereotype and recommended a segment "portraying witches as they really are, now."[2]

Due to the overwhelming reaction, additional test screenings were held from March 1 through the 5th, "to assess children's reactions to the Wicked Witch of the West." The tests showed that children were "exceptionally attentive during the Margaret Hamilton segments," and those who watched the episode in color were fascinated by her green face. The issue of fear was difficult to fully judge, due to confusing answers and the fact that the children were surrounded by their peers and adults, and not alone watching. However, due to the parents' reactions, the letter content and testing observations, Anna Herera of the CTW Research Department suggested "that the Margaret Hamilton show not be re-run."[

I have zero recall of this but around this time we watched TV on antenna our PBS was spotty at best. https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_0847
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I do not recall her on Sesame street, but I remember Hamilton (as herself) well from Mr. Rogers.

I was quite afraid of the Witch and her monkeys when I first saw WOz at age 4 or 5, but later I grew to love everything about the film, even the tense scenes.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 19, '22, 4:27 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

I thought it was a fun watch, as a kid I thought the wicked witch and the flying monkeys were pretty awesome, although I do not remember seeing this particular episode, 1976 was around the time I stopped watching the show, I was going on 10 years old and other live action and animated tv shows interested me more.

Why doesn’t it surprise me that Oscar the Grouch had a crush on the wicked witch, seeing him peeking under the lid made me laugh, he was and still is my favorite Sesame Street character.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i have no recollection of this at all. she scared me too as a child but I guess that was the point and we all grew up to love the movie

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I saw this as a kid, I vividly remember her threatening to turn Big Bird into a feather duster. I thought I dreamt it for a long time.

It certainly didn't scare me as a kid, I just thought it was weird that the wicked witch was on Sesame Street.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
            • Sep 25, 2020

Legendary! Kids talked about this and it was hard to believe. So it was real! And after almost 40 years, the Wicked Witch was still very much alive in Margaret Hamilton.
            Which old witch? The definitive Witch.

When she loses the broom a second time: "Oh fudge!" LOL

Comment

• ToyTalk
              Career Member
              • Mar 25, 2020

I had no idea that episode existed. Thank you for sharing it.
              Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

What was amazing was that same year the Paul Lynde Halloween Special 1976 had Margaret Hamilton again as Wicked Witch

I loved seeing the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz with Witchypoo from HR Pufnstuf along with KISS in one of their earliest non-concert appearances. This was crazy Halloween fun.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

I chuckled when he offers her a cup of coffee, and she says, "Oh, no, I don't drink coffee," because I'm old enough to remember when she was the spokeswoman on the Maxwell House commercials. Here's a commercial with a very young David Caruso (remember him?).
                  Last edited by RonnyG; Jun 21, '22, 2:09 AM.

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                    • Sep 25, 2020

This is all very cosmic for me. I happened to buy the complete Wizard of Oz Megos last week and they arrived yesterday. The first one I randomly pulled out of the box was the Wicked Witch!

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    What was amazing was that same year the Paul Lynde Halloween Special 1976 had Margaret Hamilton again as Wicked Witch

I loved seeing the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz with Witchypoo from HR Pufnstuf along with KISS in one of their earliest non-concert appearances. This was crazy Halloween fun.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎