• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 102: Doctor Who Magazine

Pod Stallions 102: Doctor Who Magazine
    Even as kids, the Pod Stallions boys voraciously kept up with their periodicals. Newsweek, National Geographic, Highlights and Dynamite, to name a few. But one mag stands above all others for most information gleaned: Doctor Who Magazine. (Formerly DW Monthly, formerly DW Weekly).
    YouTube: https://youtu.be/J3ZqArVgdvs
    Download: https://plaidstallions.com/reboot/po...-who-magazine/

More...
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

The comics stories in DW Weekly were great. Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer!
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I always enjoyed finding a copy of Doctor Who Magazine when I could, but since I have lived in a rural area much of my life, with no comic shop or newstand, almost any issue I ever got was a back issue. I would seek out specific articles and issues, especially the specials. I do remember getting the "Curse of Fatal Death" issue when it was new and loved reading both about it and an accompanying article about various parodies that had been made over the years (and that, thanks to the VHS of that special and now YouTube, I finally got to see). I still like to see what they are covering, but I find most magazines are pretty expensive for what they get (one reason ToyVentures wins for me now). I may have to track down the one you detailed about "Doctor Who Explores Pirates."

As for Dick Tracy, I'd love if you all explored that in an episode, either about the strip and merch/films in general or the Warren Beatty film specifically. In recent years, the DT strip has actually become quite self-referential and had crossovers. The self-referential has been seen in the last decade or so, with not just old characters brought back (there was always that sort of nostalgia) but specific references to the serials and B-movies from the 1940s. The latest strip, in fact, features a villain, Mr. Memory, drawn to look like Victor Buono, for Buono played that role in a failed pilot for a William Dozier-produced Dick Tracy series that would have hit during Batmania. The crossovers have been all over the place, including that post-credit sequence you had, as Dick Tracy actually brought in Little Orphan Annie to solve the final story from that strip, which ended in a cliffhanger (and has since brought her in other times). Most of the crossovers have been to other comic strips (Steve Roper & Mike Nomad, the Phantom, Brenda Starr, the Spirit) but also to cartoons (Mister Magoo, a reference to a UPI show that had the two meeting in the 1960s), OTR (Lum & Abner), live-action/pulp heroes (Green Hornet, originally of course from radio but based in the strip on the 1960s series), pro wrestling (Jerry "The King" Lawler), and even TV Horror Hosts (Svengoolie appeared a few years back, around the time he also was in some pieces with the Justice League). Given Defenders of the Earth already did the LOEG-treatment for King Features before we even had the League in place, having the Tribune Media team is the next step.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎