• powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

Planet of The Apes back at Marvel

new stories will be coming in 2023.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Plus reprint collections of all the classic Marvel material.

Here's the link to the announcement https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...6nu6ttaiRsFrGM

and a piece of teaser art from Salvadore Larroca...

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

sounds great!

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Here is hoping we will be able to get the England stories that were not available in the US. I really want to have a bookshelf with the classic POTA TPBs.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Also hoping for another reprint collection of the classic "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" saga which ran in the b&w Marvel POTA magazine.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            Also hoping for another reprint collection of the classic "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" saga which ran in the b&w Marvel POTA magazine.
            Didn't the famously redraw the Kilraven strips?
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
              Didn't the famously redraw the Kilraven strips?
              Yeah, Marvel UK partially redrew and re-lettered issues of Killraven and renamed it Apeslayer.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

If it's all just reprints of the 70s stuff, I'm fine with that. However, if they're going to do original (new) stories, I sure hope they do better with it than Malibu Comics (is that name right?) from the 90s, most of which were purely horrible, and the more recent stuff by Boom! Comics, of which some of it was just bad, and some mediocre at best...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

was Malibu the one that did the story with Taylors daughter coming through the time warp with marines to rescue her father? they also did a mini set in Europe i believe.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    was Malibu the one that did the story with Taylors daughter coming through the time warp with marines to rescue her father? they also did a mini set in Europe i believe.
                    That sounds about right (the Taylor daughter thing)...

They did a few mini-series: I remember one is/was called 'Urchak's Folly', and another was a crossover of 'POTA' and 'Alien-Nation' surprisingly called 'Ape-Nation'... And another two or three more...

I know it may seem hypocritical to say the Malibu Graphics stuff was mostly horrible: But, my defense is I bought them for the covers (the cover art was better than the stories contained inside, at least to me anyway)...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i recall enjoying the comics when they came out in he 90s but it has been a long time since i looked at them. they were black and white too as i recall

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

These new Marvel comics are just stories stemming from the recent trilogy and not the classic movies.

The recently released omnibus collects all 11 color issues of Adventures of the Planet of the Apes. I haven't heard of any plans to collect the black and white material.
                        Scott

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin
                          I haven't heard of any plans to collect the black and white material.
                          The 1990s B&W comics Nostalgiabuff referred to were put out by Malibu Publishing/Adventure comics. I didn't care too much for their original stories, but I was glad that they were able to reissue the Marvel comics adaptions of 'Planet', 'Beneath', and 'Escape'.

While I don't mind the new 'Apes' film trilogy for what they are (their own take on the 'Apes' name), I don't think I'm going to collect the new Marvel comics if that's all they're going to be doing. I was under the impression that they were going to be doing stories set more in the time frame of the original films continuity. Boom! Comics did those, and while they usually weren't great, they tied more into the 'classic Apes' stuff that I prefer.

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                            The 1990s B&W comics Nostalgiabuff referred to were put out by Malibu Publishing/Adventure comics. I didn't care too much for their original stories, but I was glad that they were able to reissue the Marvel comics adaptions of 'Planet', 'Beneath', and 'Escape'.
                            Those Malibu comics were awful. Some nice covers but that was it. I did buy the POTA and Terror trade paperbacks back then.

While I don't mind the new 'Apes' film trilogy for what they are (their own take on the 'Apes' name)
                            I enjoyed them too. Much better than the Marky Mark abomination.

I was under the impression that they were going to be doing stories set more in the time frame of the original films continuity.
                            I believe many of us thought that was going to be the case. Especially since Marvel used the classic designs on the POTA month variant covers. And the new #1 has a variant General Ursus cover.
                            Scott

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin
                              Those Malibu comics were awful. Some nice covers but that was it.
                              The covers are the only reason I collected them. I bought a couple while they were new, hoping they'd get better, but to no avail.

Fast forward a few years and I ended up getting them dirt cheap in lots on Yahoo! auctions (remember them?). One lot even contained the third volume of the 'Return to the Planet of the Apes' novelizations, so it was worth it to me for that book alone.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎