Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

Is Spock's TMP uniform likely to fit a regular banded body?

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
      Museum Patron
      • Apr 3, 2015

My review of the whole experience:

"Well, at least Worf was good."

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

My Shazam! & Black Adam arrived last week, so I'm satisfied. I just wish I had been able to afford the other heroes, Trek and POTA. They all look great.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

So far 9 of my 18 figures have arrived and I can say I have not been disappointed yet, From the Sculpts to the outfits and the figure choices Bravo, and the shorter body could have been their greatest Hiccup as it gave you an in scale Kor an in scale Quark and an in scale Brent, they also have tooling now for Titan size male heroes that you may not have gotten for a year or 2... All in all Topps may have had some Hiccups but Mego and the Community are better for it

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

I resisted the monsters (although now regretting not splurging for the Mummy) and instead stuck with multiples for Ape City.

Taylor, Brent and Mutant are mostly fantastic and were worth the price and the wait time. Also have no issues with loose joints, and the new PVC is not brittle. Orientate those new elbows before bending.

Taylor is just great; enjoy him as designed 50 years in the making. Brent is also supercool and they both look amazing surrounded by angry Gorillas!

The Mutant's body is actually done in a beautiful, sickly pink color, which while not entirely visible with all the garb on, is a nice touch. The black Trek-boot-legs are a misstep as they should have been white; would have preferred jointed ankles and separate boots. The robe and body suit are nice fabrics and a little over sized, being on the new bod. The A-Bomb icon could have been done in a more attractive and screen-accurate way; instead it's just a crude cut piece of ribbon. He's an easy crossover to another body type if you desire a better fit.

Zira is OK. This body as you already know is terrible and doesn't even have Ape hands. The clothing and head are nice and do provide a new variant from vintage to EMCE. The boots are lacking detail as the EMCE plain-style in a slightly different color. She too is an easy crossover to better bod.

In the end I find the MegoXTopps experience more bizarre and unknowing than disappointing. The actual Topps-brand (trading cards, sports, etc.) is totally vacant from the final product, so I guess it was financing that Mego needed/wanted, which is also strange as Topps has had financial challenges in recent years. Given the significant output from Mego in most waves, it seems odd that they couldn't have produced these themselves given that Topps brought little to the table resulting in less than 2000 of each figure being sold. Very happy to have more Apes none-the-less, and let's hope the scalper prices fail so we can scoop up some extras for customizing.

Oh, one last thing… Topps packing is some of the worst I've seen… like a bootleg package coming out of El Salvador in a used cereal box with tissues. Shipped in two different sized boxes, each containing the same number of figures, with some crumpled paper that didn't fill the space or provide buffer. Half of the cards were damaged in some way; fortunately the half I wanted to open. <bullets dodged!>

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I lucked out on shipping thus far; decent double corrugated box, and the tissue was helpful. Not anywhere near what Hakes does but servicable. Weird that it's so inconsistent.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

I have enjoyed all the figures I have received so far. The Kor being my favorite of the bunch. It is always a thrill to see a Brady sculpt as a mass market figure. Great tributes to the past.
                I have one more big package with hunchback, reaper, and mummy that is supposed to arrive today, but so far packing has been fine. I was a bit surprised at the wadded paper for the box that had only two figures in it, but they were not dinged up or anything, so all good. I think I'll have an extra Mummy in my last shipment, Confessional, if you want to swap for a Mutant. I bought two of those, but seeing as there will be some sort of non-Topps release of them, I don't know if I will be opening some of these.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I lucked out on shipping thus far; decent double corrugated box, and the tissue was helpful. Not anywhere near what Hakes does but servicable. Weird that it's so inconsistent.
                  Indeed, it was weird how different the two boxes were packed too. The larger one had a glossy, thick piece of paper that was only on the top side of the box so the figures were rattling around. If they would have used a little more paper that could have easily been avoided. The small one had a much smaller piece of tissue (gift bag quality) paper in it which provided absolutely no value in transit. Both boxes incurred some end/side crushing.

I really did luck out ordering doubles, and having one of each character messed up to be the openers. <Whew!> Otherwise the nightmare of contacting Topps for replacements seemed a glaring unwanted adventure into oblivion.

… RCHE, if I can acquire another I'd do that trade but don't wait for me… have fun with your beasties!
                  Last edited by Confessional; Jun 14, '22, 1:02 PM. Reason: …Official Beneath figures rule!

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

Added a little something to my Topps figures. (Idea from Ariel / Boywonder0)

sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson

Those stickers are awesome! Makes the packages look so much better.

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

agreed^^ those look great!

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by pmwasson

wow. that's awesome.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

The lack of Topps logo surprised me.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Big Thumbs Up on the Topps stickers!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                                Radioactive!
                                • Feb 13, 2010

Those Topps stickers are fantastic---what a great idea for those who keep them in package!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎