X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Topps Thoughts

By absolutely no demand, here are my thoughts based on the six Topps figures I've received.

Taylor POTA: Easily the most "Megoey" of the bunch, he's straightforward and yet it all works. Love the detail on the text tiles. He looks like a vintage Mego circa 1976.

Spock TMP: Looks better than the photos suggested, and one of the things I'm noticing is the head detail has gotten so good. I don't know how many TMP figures we'll get, but I'll buy almost every one. (no need for Decker or Ilia) My only quibble here is the back of the card but that's mainly confusion.

Kor: Great head sculpt with perfect detail; the rest is a rehash of Kang (as it should be, for all I know, they were wearing the exact same clothes), so it works.

Hammer Mummy: Currently my second favourite next to Taylor, I have nothing but good things to say, great sculpt, incredible detail and a stunning card. Knocked right out of the park and a dream figure. The touch of the light shining through brings me joy.

Hammer Zombie: Another solid head sculpt with a decent outfit and a sound card back. I can't believe this exists and that it looks so good.

Hammer Phantom: Probably the weakest one I got, and I think it's the paint apps. I know some of my peers felt let down by this one, and I understand that, but I still like it because of my feelings about a toy being a toy. The figure looks like a toy of the character, and it's a little off-model but not terribly so; I'd know it from a mile away.

The New Mego bandless body
    : The jury is out for me; it looks fine. The one I opened and played with is sound and solid. The height won't bug me in the short term, and from what I understand, it will soon change. I'm not in love with it, but I also don't hate it. It won't make me buy less figures or more. When wave 15 comes in and I get a few loose ones (I'm not super into opening my Topps stuff), I'll get a better perspective, I guess.

The Topps saga has been weird, and I am surprised at how it upset some folks. I'm glad I can look at these figures and say, "I'm happy i did this." I like this stuff, it's well made, and I'll deal with any minor issues I have; nothing is perfect. I paid for toys in advance and got them eventually. I am satisfied with that transaction; I quite like them. I guess that's all that matters in the end,

I hope everyone who got their figures can enjoy them.
    Attached Files
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Kor actually has updated clothes, with the collar area being squared off like in the show where Kang has a rounded collar. Plus, the sash is detailed. I like the Kor uniform way better.

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      Kor actually has updated clothes, with the collar area being squared off like in the show where Kang has a rounded collar. Plus, the sash is detailed. I like the Kor uniform way better.
      I stand corrected. I did not compare the two.

Comment

• tatsunokofan
        • Dec 5, 2019

Kor also has a painted Disruptor, while Kang's is unpainted.

James

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by tatsunokofan
          Kor also has a painted Disruptor, while Kang's is unpainted.

James
          Well, they're both a solid colour right? My Kor has a disrupter with a slightly silver finish but no other detailing.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I'm very excited to be getting Kor. So far all I've gotten is Shazam.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              I'm very excited to be getting Kor. So far all I've gotten is Shazam.
              I thought I was the last guy to get everything, I use a courier service via Niagara Falls NY.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                I thought I was the last guy to get everything, I use a courier service via Niagara Falls NY.
                Topps has strapped mine to the back of a turtle and sent them from Florida to Oregon. I'm still waiting on a dozen figures.

Some of mine are still a week away.
                Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 13, '22, 5:16 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i've gotten everything i ordered except Brent and the Mutant leader. i like what i've seen but like Palitoy, i am not opening these

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    i've gotten everything i ordered except Brent and the Mutant leader. i like what i've seen but like Palitoy, i am not opening these
                    Yeah those are my last two, they just showed up in Buffalo.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I still don't have Shazam & Black Adam.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by palitoy

By absolutely no demand, here are my thoughts based on the six Topps figures I've received.

Taylor POTA: Easily the most "Megoey" of the bunch, he's straightforward and yet it all works. Love the detail on the text tiles. He looks like a vintage Mego circa 1976.

Spock TMP: Looks better than the photos suggested, and one of the things I'm noticing is the head detail has gotten so good. I don't know how many TMP figures we'll get, but I'll buy almost every one. (no need for Decker or Ilia) My only quibble here is the back of the card but that's mainly confusion.

Kor: Great head sculpt with perfect detail; the rest is a rehash of Kang (as it should be, for all I know, they were wearing the exact same clothes), so it works.

Hammer Mummy: Currently my second favourite next to Taylor, I have nothing but good things to say, great sculpt, incredible detail and a stunning card. Knocked right out of the park and a dream figure. The touch of the light shining through brings me joy.

Hammer Zombie: Another solid head sculpt with a decent outfit and a sound card back. I can't believe this exists and that it looks so good.

Hammer Phantom: Probably the weakest one I got, and I think it's the paint apps. I know some of my peers felt let down by this one, and I understand that, but I still like it because of my feelings about a toy being a toy. The figure looks like a toy of the character, and it's a little off-model but not terribly so; I'd know it from a mile away.

The New Mego bandless body
                        : The jury is out for me; it looks fine. The one I opened and played with is sound and solid. The height won't bug me in the short term, and from what I understand, it will soon change. I'm not in love with it, but I also don't hate it. It won't make me buy less figures or more. When wave 15 comes in and I get a few loose ones (I'm not super into opening my Topps stuff), I'll get a better perspective, I guess.

The Topps saga has been weird, and I am surprised at how it upset some folks. I'm glad I can look at these figures and say, "I'm happy i did this." I like this stuff, it's well made, and I'll deal with any minor issues I have; nothing is perfect. I paid for toys in advance and got them eventually. I am satisfied with that transaction; I quite like them. I guess that's all that matters in the end,

I hope everyone who got their figures can enjoy them.
                        Yeah, the head sculpt on TMP Spock isn’t getting near the love it should. It’s almost as good as the original Mego Spock head. And the soft goods are just as good.

Taylor is clearly the best of the bunch. As I mentioned previously, Mego’s POTA line finally as a definitive astronaut figure.

You didn’t mention Worf, but I put him right there at the top alongside Taylor and Spock. Just a great figure.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Very fair review of the Phantom. The sculpt gave me pause, but I like it for reasons similar to yours and I didn't expect Distinctive Dummies. It's more that it's smallish and weak compared to the other Hammers.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• puckace
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Feb 5, 2009

i've only gotten 2 out of 8 so far. Both on the Tattoo body. Now I'm glad I missed out on Green Arrow. Ollie never struck me as a little man.

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

I am very happy with the Topps Spock head sculpt.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎