X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego Batcave Playset (Vintage Mego)

New to the channel? Subscribe! ?https://bit.ly/3D3zxJK Vintage Mego looks at the iconic World’s Greatest Superheroes item, the Batcave playset. We talk about why it was made, the connection to the 1966 television series, and it’s legacy. To the Batpoles! #mego #megomuseum #batman

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

This hit home on so many levels--the magical 1974 review, the commercial, the acknowledgment of the 1966 influence. I was six/seven in '74 and Batman reruns on TV, Filmation and Superfirends cartoons, and Megos were my pop-culture playworld.

The Batcave--and I have the POTA Village and Lost continent, too--is my favorite Mego playset. I love the format of it! FTC did a fantastic job with the reissue--as far as I'm concerned, the same template could become the Rock of Eternity, Paradise Island, or Atlantis.

Something I want to note as well is the art for Mego's vintage playsets, deftly created in a distinctive style with art markers. From Batman to POTA, Oz, and The Waltons, I love this illustrative approach.

Thanks much for the video.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 11, '22, 9:29 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Great video as always. I feel like we don't say that often enough. I never had the cave as a kid. I saw it in the catalog and was...underwhelmed. I did get the Wayne Foundation later though. I got the 66 Batcave from FTC and it is an awesome reboot of the original Batcave.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Wonderful video. The Batcave and Batmobile were some of the earliest Christmas gifts I remember getting. I played and played with that thing for years. Most of it hung around long enough for me to use it with my Super Powers figures as well. I was lucky enough to get a nice one in the box about 20 years ago, although even that was missing that darn Batsignal battery cover! I didn't have the instructions either, but in some of my old school papers I found my ORIGINAL Batcave instructions! Why my Mom kept that, I'll never know.
        sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

I had a vintage Batcave and the battery cover was gone. I made one using thick pasteboard and yellow sculpey. It actually looked pretty good. I got an AJ signal device and swapped the homemade battery cover for the AJ one. The color match was not perfect but good enough.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

The Bat Cave was an awesome toy. Still is. as a kid I never even knew about the POTA version

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

I never had the Batcave we I was young and playing with Megos. I remember seeing it at Circus World, but for Christmas brother & I got in the Wayne Foundation which to be truthful was better for playing.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Never asked for the Batcave as a kid, though I looked at longingly it for a very long time at Pic-N-Save. I did get the FTC re-do when it came out, so I have a great deal of late respect for it.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 27, 2009

Easily one of the most played with toys of my youth. I had it and the Batmobile, Batcycle, and Bat-Copter along with all the male super-foes, (missed Catwoman). Played with it for hours and hours. It was, and still is a huge favorite. I had the big box version, and cool note, you could store the cave and all three vehicles in that box stacked on one another, it's how I had mine for years, until my youngest brother trashed it. I now own the Figures company version, and while a great set, it lacks in one area, the matt that runs between the fron and back sections of the cave is not made of vinyl, but heavy paper, I was very disappointed in this and have tried to soure a pice of heavy viny; to replace it and re-create the set I had as a kid.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

For the vinyl...check out shower curtains. Or the print shops that print on heavy vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎