Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucasd4
    • Jun 1, 2007

A Quick Fix for Loose Waist and Legs on the New Body

Here's a quick and easy way to tighten the waist and legs on the new "bandless" bodies. I used an O ring kit and double-sided thick clear tape.......both from amazon.....I did this to the waist on all the bodies and they are super tight now. Some of the legs were fine and didn't need to be tightened.

I wrapped the tape around the waist joint a few times

**The clear tape is very thick and will fill the gap nicely**
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lucasd4; Jun 10, '22, 7:06 PM.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by lucasd4
    Here's a quick and easy way to tighten the waist and legs on the new "bandless" bodies. I used an O ring kit and double-sided thick clear tape.......both from amazon.....I did this to the waist on all the bodies and they are super tight now. Some of the legs were fine and didn't need to be tightened.

Great idea. May have to give that a try later tonight. Would that work on those old Mattel bodies too?

Comment

• lucasd4
      • Jun 1, 2007

Originally posted by Liu Bei
      Great idea. May have to give that a try later tonight. Would that work on those old Mattel bodies too?

I think it would work with the Mattel body waist. I'm not sure about the legs. If I remember correctly, those Mattel bodies had elastic or something in the legs instead of plastic joints. It would be worth a try though.

Comment

• nubee
        Career Member
        • Feb 15, 2010

What a wonderful idea to salvage the Sidekick body.

Many thanks

Comment

• lucasd4
          • Jun 1, 2007

Originally posted by nubee
          What a wonderful idea to salvage the Sidekick body.

Many thanks

You're welcome. It doesn't fix the height issue but it does make the figures feel sturdier, stand up straight, and hold poses better.
          Last edited by lucasd4; Jun 11, '22, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Would the superglue trick work as well?

Comment

• lucasd4
              • Jun 1, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              Would the superglue trick work as well?
              I'm not familiar with that one....how does that work?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I'm not familiar with that one....how does that work?
                It works be squirting superglue into the joint and moving the parts until the superglue sets and it builds up in the space and tightens the joint. It's been used for loose action figure joints for a long time. It works really well. As long as you move the joint until the glue is fully cured it won't glue it together. It's done with the runny kind, not the gel, because the gel doesn't get into the joint very well. I've done it to a few action figures before.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

you put superglue at the joint and continue to work the joint so it doesn't freeze up till the superglue cures and takes up the gap/creates friction at the joint. Might work on the legs but probably not the waist
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    you put superglue at the joint and continue to work the joint so it doesn't freeze up till the superglue cures and takes up the gap/creates friction at the joint. Might work on the legs but probably not the waist
                    I'm thinking it would work on the waist with no problem. Same as any other joint.

Comment

• lucasd4
                      • Jun 1, 2007

It works be squirting superglue into the joint and moving the parts until the superglue sets and it builds up in the space and tightens the joint. It's been used for loose action figure joints for a long time. It works really well. As long as you move the joint until the glue is fully cured it won't glue it together. It's done with the runny kind, not the gel, because the gel doesn't get into the joint very well. I've done it to a few action figures before.

That probably would work with the legs, but I'm not sure about the waist. It's a big gap there and the waist joint seems like it could break if moved often while the glue is curing. I like filling that gap with the soft tape since it seems to provide some support for the waist joint and then the O rings provide extra reinforcement to hold everything together. It seems like the O ring/tape method would be safer too and can easily be redone if you don't get it right. Let me know how the superglue method works if you decide to try it.

Comment

• nubee
                        Career Member
                        • Feb 15, 2010

I used the super glue once on a Marvel Legend figure. It worked ok but in about a year, the joint broke where I used the super glue. I think it made the plastic brittle. I like the O-rings idea much better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I'm thinking it would work on the waist with no problem. Same as any other joint.
                          There's a LOT of space in that waist joint. I think the fragility of it is the bigger issue.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

Seems like you could also use a series of O-rings, or even a single large silicone ring and avoid the whole tape/glue component.

Having merged a few NECA x Mego customs in the past, I'm kinda looking forward to sacrificing one of these to full dissection to see how a torso swap could work.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              I tried it today and it does work for the waist joint. So happy it worked. The one Topps figure I opened was super floppy at the waist.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎