• Oct 4, 2008

i like this idea. looking forward to seeing this

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

This wasn't too bad.
      Plenty of action.
      Not the worst in the Predator series, at least.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

It was enjoyable.

The action was great. Beautiful on location scenery. The acting was good. The leading lady was perfectly cast.

The design of the Predator was fresh and new.

My favorite scene…the bear sequence.

The part that bugged a bit was the Natives speaking English and the Trappers French. It just made it odd. I found out today that Hulu gives you a Comanche language option (although it’s not going to synch with their lips). I’m going to check it out later if it’s true. If it is, I’m watching it again.

Having said that…

*****SPOILERS*****

The girl morphs into an unstoppable Terminator by the end of the movie. She easily disposes of French Trappers left and right like if they were ants, lol. She decimates and slices the all time dumbest Predator in history. She takes the miracle orange flower that supposedly lower her blood temperature to make her invisible to the Predator. Really? Blood cooling flower? Really? You know what happens when blood becomes cooler? YOU DIE! Dumb Predator walks into tarp pit. 18th century girl somehow figures out how to use his own technologically advanced helmet against him. Dumb Predator forgets to remember what his own technology does. I mean, really, lol. Again, the Predator easily slaughters 50 French Trappers, but can’t handle one little girl, lol. One cool thing at the end though, the gun. Homage to the Elder from Predator 2. Hey, wouldn’t it be neat if the girl turns out to be an ancestor of Billy from the first Predator movie? Ha! The actress was engaging. She’s 25. She’s very attractive. I can see her becoming a star. Oh, her brother deserved to die. Why? He shoots a poor hawk (who just wanted to land somewhere to eat his meal) mid air with his arrow. What a low down dirty thing to do. I bet the hawk was cheering up in bird heaven when his killer got his, lol. End of rant.
        Last edited by Hector; Aug 6, '22, 4:55 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

watching tonight, looking forward to it

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Prey

Prey poster 1.jpgPrey poster 2.jpg

Boyfriend & I watched Prey this morning and liked it.

My problem is the whole AVP needs a reboot from Disney. The history of both aliens keep getting stranger with each movie. I spent way too much time trying to see if this was a reboot of the franchise or folded into their confusing history on Earth.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
              The part that bugged a bit was the Natives speaking English and the Trappers French. It just made it odd. I found out today that Hulu gives you a Comanche language option (although it’s not going to synch with their lips). I’m going to check it out later if it’s true. If it is, I’m watching it again.
              I haven't seen it yet, so I didn't read past your "spoilers" line, but I did see this review which addressed that bit:

Dan Trachtenberg takes the Predator franchise back to its roots with a compelling setting, a great lead character, and some killer action.

That’s not to mention how the film uses language to center the Natives within the story. Later in the film, Naru runs afoul of French traders who treat the Natives like animals. Because the film is from Naru’s perspective, however, it’s the French who are presented as speaking a completely foreign language. The film doesn’t translate what the traders are saying either. Instead, we must infer their meaning in the same way Naru does during her time with them. It’s a subtle thing, but for decades, Native languages in film have been used as a way of “othering” Indigenous people, making them out to be wild and uncivilized. Prey inverts that trope completely. Yes, Naru and her tribe speak English in the film (sadly, the Comanche dub of the film wasn’t available to review at the time of this writing), but it’s done that way for the benefit of the audience. The idea being the characters within the film/world created are speaking their native language.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

watched it last night with my wife and daughter. we all liked it a lot. yes, there are some silly plot holes but the movie was fun. the shots of the Indian life were really beautiful. it's a slow build to the predatory showing up but the second half is really action packed.

i thought the same thing as Hector about the predator not understanding how it's own weapons worked. not once, but twice, with the same equipment no less.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

found this about the orange flower:
                  Since Naru and her mother use a local name, "orange tutsia," to describe the flower, it is hard to determine whether it is real or only exists in Prey's universe. However, with that said, the flower seems to share many similarities with Calendula plants. Just like the ones depicted in Prey, Calendula flowers are bright orange in color and have been used for both culinary and medicinal purposes for centuries. During the Civil War, the flower was also used for stopping blood flow from battle wounds, just like Naru uses it to treat one of the French fur trappers after the Predator slashes his leg. Other than that, Calendula flowers have also been known for breaking fevers and treating severe infections, which could explain why Naru gives it to injured warriors and applies it to their wounds. Despite its many benefits, it is always advisable to use Calendula or any other similar natural products after consulting a doctor since they may trigger some dangerous side effects such as allergic reactions and drowsiness

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

100% agree about the various plot holes... they were annoying, but not severe enough to prevent the movie from being enjoyable overall.

(I also liked the flintlock Easter egg. Although it doesn't fit with the cool origin that it had in one of the old Predator comics, it was still cool to see it.)
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• pmwasson
                      Maker
                      • Sep 12, 2007

I really enjoyed it. Perhaps the Predator was also a juvenile on its first hunt like the main character to offer a parallel story arc, and that is why it made some mistakes with its weapons.
                      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I thought it was boring and fast forwarded through the second half.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

My family and I watched it last night and enjoyed it. I've heard complaints that the lead suddenly becomes super-capable at the end, but from my perspective she was capable all along, she just didn't get much chance to show it before then.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

i think she was hesitant to kill earlier in the film, but she had the capability. it wasn't until she had to kill to survive that she did it

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

I agree with that assessment. When she has to go for broke against men or Predator, she is consistently shown to be a good fighter. It’s killing the animals that she seems to hesitate on.

I believe it’s meant to parallel how the Predator only goes after what he perceives as a threat.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎