Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Received TOPPS Taylor, Zira, and Worf today.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Received TOPPS Taylor, Zira, and Worf today.

Taylor and Worf are homeruns. Both on the old body, both have great head sculpts, and the soft goods on each are excellent. They both look better than the prototypes, and we FINALLY have a proper, definitive astronaut for the Mego POTA line.

Zira’s head sits a little too high on the neck post, but other than that is great.

I can’t wait for the Brent figure now. Whoever did the sculpts for Worf and Taylor need a pay raise. They’re almost as good as the Data and Van Helsing sculpts, which are my absolute favorites since Mego returned.

Mego is absolutely killing it on POTA and Star Trek, and I hope they keep it going for many years to come.
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Cool to have definite confirmation that Taylor is on the old style body...

As Krypt0nite said, thanks for the update.

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

My pleasure, gents. I hope everyone gets their figures soon, and has the same joy I felt receiving them.

They are really high quality figures.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Thanks! So looking forward to Taylor, Brent and Mutant, with only Zira appearing non-special for such an exclusive effort. Planning to convert her to a Yvonne-bod me thinks.

Since June 2nd, all I have is shipping labels created.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

I received Brent and The Mutant Leader today.

I haven't checked the status of the Taylor/Zira order, but I found it odd that Brent & The Mutant arrived first, since I think Taylor/Zira were supposed to arrive first. But, I'm confident they'll get here soon.

The Brent that I opened had his pants on backwards, while the one I left carded has them on right. I know they're on backwards because they have black thread stitching on them that's supposed to represent pockets, but the opened Brent had those in the back. Easy fix, just switch 'em around.

The Mutant Leader: I was surprised to see him with 'Star Trek' legs (black from the knees down), and even more surprised that under the robe, he's also wearing a white body stocking.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i got Taylor yesterday. hoping to get some more packages today. Taylor is awesome though.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by apes3978
                I received Brent and The Mutant Leader today.

I haven't checked the status of the Taylor/Zira order, but I found it odd that Brent & The Mutant arrived first, since I think Taylor/Zira were supposed to arrive first. But, I'm confident they'll get here soon.

The Brent that I opened had his pants on backwards, while the one I left carded has them on right. I know they're on backwards because they have black thread stitching on them that's supposed to represent pockets, but the opened Brent had those in the back. Easy fix, just switch 'em around.

The Mutant Leader: I was surprised to see him with 'Star Trek' legs (black from the knees down), and even more surprised that under the robe, he's also wearing a white body stocking.
                Awesome. Can’t wait till mine arrive. Overall how would you rate the figures? Were the head sculpts as good in person as they looked in the prototypes? Because Taylor was better in hand.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  i got Taylor yesterday. hoping to get some more packages today. Taylor is awesome though.
                  Yep. One of my favorites. Not quite on the level of Data and Van Helsing, but pretty darn close. Just a great figure. I’ve picked the figure up at least once a day since he arrived to play around / pose him.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                    Radioactive!
                    • Feb 13, 2010

How's the height on the mutant leader? Is the body with the Star Trek boots one of the new ones?

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                      Awesome. Can’t wait till mine arrive. Overall how would you rate the figures? Were the head sculpts as good in person as they looked in the prototypes? Because Taylor was better in hand.
                      After evaluating them again today, I bumped my grade up to a solid B (up from the C+ I rated them in another thread.)

The choice of characters, and the heads themselves receive an A+ though. The heads look great, though Brent *is* a bit on the small side compared to Mutant Leader, but he's reasonably in scale with the actual body itself... But again, they're very good looking, as is Taylor (whom I received today). Zira is just Zira, although with a nice paint job, and I like the slightly bigger bib/collar.

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
                        How's the height on the mutant leader? Is the body with the Star Trek boots one of the new ones?
                        Mutant Leader is the same size as Brent, as they're both on the new body.

Yes, his body is one of the new ones, but as mentioned earlier, with the 'Star Trek' lower legs. I was actually expecting him to arrive with removable white boots, so I was surprised to see the black 'ST' lower legs.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                          Zira’s head sits a little too high on the neck post, but other than that is great.
                          I forgot to mention you're right about that: Her head is a bit high on mine as well.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by apes3978
                            I forgot to mention you're right about that: Her head is a bit high on mine as well.
                            Can it be lowered, or is it just going to have to be too high?

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                              Can it be lowered, or is it just going to have to be too high?
                              No. It's pretty similar to the original Zira, except on the original the collar rose up high enough to disguise the neck post. On the new one it doesn't.

If they'd put some fur on the collar as was done on some of the cuffs of the Ape shirts, or put a dark brown undershirt like the ones on the Mad Monsters Wolfman or EMCE Wolfman, it would have disguised it really well.

Mego obviously caught it too late to change the Topps figure, but the retail version in the dress has a high collar for exactly this reason, to cover up the exposed neck post.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎