Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOPPS Hammer figures arrived today...pics.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

TOPPS Hammer figures arrived today...pics.

The Phantom of the Opera and Plague of the Zombies have arrived.

Both figures really look great. I do think they should have come with monster hands...especially the Phantom since his hands were burned in the film. I may swap them out.

The card art is unfortunately lacking and inconsistent as usual. Side-by-side these two do not look like they're from the same series.
    Also, I'm totally perplexed as to why the Phantom is incorrectly credited as a Universal monster instead of Hammer.
    There is no mention of Hammer anywhere on the card front or back, and the missing Hammer logo will likely disappoint MOC collectors.

In all, I give them a 7 out of 10. Better packaging and monster hands would have made them perfect.

• rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

looks like these two are on the banded body. I think all of the figures I selected from TOPPS are banded bodies, so I will have to wait a little longer to see the new buck up close. I do like the headsculpts on all of the TOPPS figures I have seen, tho I do agree that the cards are a bit uneven in terms of consistency for the brand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

The Phantom provenance surprises me, too--but maybe it's a licensing loophole since the film was co-financed and released through Universal in the US.

I think they look great, and I'm fine with banded bodies.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        The Phantom provenance surprises me, too--but maybe it's a licensing loophole since the film was co-financed and released through Universal in the US.

I think they look great, and I'm fine with banded bodies.
        I'm working on a set of custom Hammer Horror replacement cardbacks. Dracula, Van Helsing, Plague of the Zombies and The Reptile coming soon...

Last edited by enyawd72; Jun 3, '22, 9:16 AM.

Comment

• Monstar
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 6, 2008

Mego should really invest in some card designers. Give the figures a sense of uniformity but still distinct. Shame about the lack of a Hammer logo on the Phantom.

Since the variants are not all that different, I was planning on keeping one set on the card while opening the other. But now I might go the custom backer card route and put them in FTC clamshells.
          http://twitter.com/MonstarPR

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Those custom backers look great, but what if you added a background rectangle behind the blister to match the monster illustration color, since most figures will have dark or black clothes?

Love the Remco homage.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Spyweb007
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 18, 2006

If the Phantom had monster hands he could not hold his mask.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Do the cards even acknowledge/credit Topps in any way?

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
                  Do the cards even acknowledge/credit Topps in any way?
                  Nope. Not a single mention or any way to distinguish them from any other Mego.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Opened pic...I might customize this whole set to make them really pop, but they're pretty cool.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

How was the shipping packaging? Were they well protected?

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        How was the shipping packaging? Were they well protected?
                        Not really. The boxes were pretty much the same size as the figures. My Mummies arrived today. Out of four, I got one mint card. Two had dings, and one dented bubble.
                        It's not a big deal to me, since I'll be opening the best looking figure for myself. As suspected there were minor issues with all the outfits except one. That's why I bought the maximum for each figure.

The sewing on the Phantom jackets is not good. As is the placement of the buttons. I pulled them all off and re-glued them. Plague of the Zombie fared the best in outfit and paint. All four were basically perfect.
                        As usual with new Mego, it's a crapshoot. Some great, some good, and some bad.

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          .... My Mummies arrived today. ....
                          Are the Mummies on new or old style bodies. I thought I saw a pic somewhere that looked like the hands are shaped like the newer bandless bucks. Can't find it now, tho. I may have confused that with the Kor, which looks to have the new body.
                          Last edited by rche; Jun 3, '22, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by rche
                            Are the Mummies on new or old style bodies. I thought I saw a pic somewhere that looked like the hands are shaped like the newer bandless bucks. Can't find it now, tho. I may have confused that with the Kor, which looks to have the new body.
                            Old style.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by rche
                              Are the Mummies on new or old style bodies.
                              Originally posted by enyawd72
                              Old style.

I don't want to veer this thread way off course, but what does everybody think Taylor will be on, old style or new style bodies?

I'm hoping old style, because I don't want him to be shorter than his ape captors.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎