Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what happened with TOPPS Green Arrow?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

When I have some time I'm going to look into the possibility of adapting a type 2 chest piece to work with the new arms, legs, and pelvis. I think that would take care of the height issues.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
      When I have some time I'm going to look into the possibility of adapting a type 2 chest piece to work with the new arms, legs, and pelvis. I think that would take care of the height issues.
      That's going to take a lot of modification!

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

Most of the later Mattel bodies weren't that bad. They fixed the waist issue for the most part (and it was always relatively easy to fix yourself, certainly easier than the new Mego body will be) and the legs were just kinda loose but that only mattered if you grabbed the figure and shook it by the torso.

I just cannot figure out why they would go with this design for the torso. It's just bizarre. It's like unfinished.

I don't recall a single action figure ever having a torso ball joint that doesn't actually go into the torso and just dangles out so that there is a huge gap between the pelvis and the torso. It's catastrophically bad engineering.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

My guess is that when the height issue became apparent at some point in the production process, Mego attempted to compensate by creating a gap between the torso and pelvis.

Comment

• nubee
            Career Member
            • Feb 15, 2010

My guess is that when the height issue became apparent at some point in the production process, Mego attempted to compensate by creating a gap between the torso and pelvis.
            I sincerely hope not. This would mean Mego knows the Sidekick body is potentially a piece of manure due to height and loose joints issues and it was dumped on fans purposely.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Pretty sure the suit sag comes from putting an 8" scale costume on a 7.5" scale body. Transition pains moving to the new body as the new GA is slightly smaller in scale than the previous Megos (got him last night, so I'm basing this on the in-hand figure). And, yes, the "G" on the belt was definitely photoshopped in the original pic (it doesn't even fit on the belt buckle ). Those were early mock-ups, so it's not surprising. I like the hand design with a usable trigger finger and the continued use of a soft plastic to avoid the classic Mego thumb snap, but, yeah, not having them green is a bummer. The solid plastic heads look pretty good, though. I was afraid they'd be a lot shinier than the classic squishy heads, but the finish is nicely matte. When I first looked, I had to squeeze the head to tell if it was solid.
              Last edited by scott metzger; Jun 3, '22, 9:01 AM.

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

The new heads are scaled to the new bodies, judging by Green Arrow and Ra's. Ollie's noggin is pretty well perfectly proportioned to the new body, but is noticeably undersized for a classic Mego torso. I popped his head off last night to try holding it on a standard body, and the head is definitely too small. The noggin looks just fine on the new figures, but it isn't going to work on a classic torso.

Comment

• nubee
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by scott metzger
                  The new heads are scaled to the new bodies, judging by Green Arrow and Ra's. Ollie's noggin is pretty well perfectly proportioned to the new body, but is noticeably undersized for a classic Mego torso. I popped his head off last night to try holding it on a standard body, and the head is definitely too small. The noggin looks just fine on the new figures, but it isn't going to work on a classic torso.

....sign. Another reason NOT to buy the Mego with the Sidekick body. I was planning to avoid the DC characters only but now ALL of 'em.
                  Last edited by nubee; Jun 3, '22, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Z-man 307
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Mar 15, 2010

Got my Green Arrows, Ras Al Gul and a Mummy today. Just noticed on the GA's (purchased 4) that the G on the belt is upside down. Of course this can be easily fixed by taking the belt off and putting it back on right side up. Just weird that they were all like that.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                      Radioactive!
                      • Feb 13, 2010

How easily does the head pop off? Can it be put on a banded body?

Comment

• Z-man 307
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Mar 15, 2010

I put the new GA costume on a vintage T2 Arrow. I kinda like it better:

GA.jpg

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

That looks very nice.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by nubee
                            ....sign. Another reason NOT to buy the Mego with the Sidekick body. I was planning to avoid the DC characters only but now ALL of 'em.
                            What a nightmare !!!...I was planning to buy all the DC Characters...But now I feel like canceling everything....So so Sad. Does anybody know if Mego is planning to rectify this problem?
                            Last edited by Ivaniski; Jun 3, '22, 6:53 PM.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                              Radioactive!
                              • Feb 13, 2010

Has anyone from Mego commented yet on the size discrepancy between the banded and new figures?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

The difference in head scale distresses me. I was hoping to do some swapping.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎