X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

45 years ago today...

I waited in line for four hours to see Star Wars! Such a great movie! Anybody else see it opening weekend? How long did you have to wait in line?
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Growing up in Canada, I had to wait an extra month or so for it to be released. It was some time during June/July 1977 that I saw SW for the first time.
    The first of many, many times that summer!
    The lines were long.
    It remains my all time favourite movie.

Ah, those were the days!

Last edited by Bruce Banner; May 26, '22, 3:03 PM.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner

Ah, the good ol Coronet! It was the go to movie theater in San Francisco. Loved that theater. While my first Star Wars viewing was not there (it was at Oakland Grand Lake theater, which is still in operation), I did watch many first time viewings at the Coronet of Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones, and countless others. I also saw The Phantom Menace there and the digitally enhanced Star Wars trilogy. It was so sad when they closed the Coronet. It was one of the last one screen giant movie theaters. It was demolished in 2007. RIP.

P.S. It was HUGE!

BEC2F84C-5D20-4254-B7A4-1AC9FB2511E0.jpg

A4794FF2-5B73-4F08-9228-AC42CF9FB3F8.jpg
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

While my first Star Wars viewing was at Oakland’s Grand Lake theater (still in operation, but they split in into four smaller screens to accommodate multiple movies)…my fondest memory of watching Star Wars was with my family at a local Drive-In theater. What fantastic memories. Love those times. Never to be duplicated.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i was only 5. but we saw it for the first time at the Drive In. I can honestly say that the movie had such an impact on young me that my life was forever changed.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The theater I saw it at had the record for the longest-running engagement of the movie showing it for 76 weeks.
            Last edited by LonnieFisher; May 26, '22, 5:02 PM.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I envy people that got to see it close to when it opened. I had to wait until early 1978 (Spring maybe..about when the Kenner toys were starting to hit stores) before it made it to my hometown theater. I have done the research and it didn't even make it to Oklahoma City until June 17th, 1977 and it played at the same theater for 7 months (through January of 1978). I think it had to play out in larger markets before it made it's way to smaller towns like mine. I realize that I was still caught up in all of the hoopla (despite not getting to see until later) because it was a real cultural phenomenon and we were of the right age to be fully captured by it all. I was biding my time with the comic adaptation and the novelization as they became available so I really never felt like I was missing out completely on it all.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

I saw Star Wars at our local drive-in a few times, too.
                But most of my viewings were at our local one-screen movie theatre.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

I was 8 years old but actually didn't see it until 1978 when movies were still in theaters over a year what was everybody's first star wars figure? and where do you remember seeing them or buying it?

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                    I was 8 years old but actually didn't see it until 1978 when movies were still in theaters over a year what was everybody's first star wars figure? and where do you remember seeing them or buying it?
                    Death Squad Commander bought at local Wal-Mart (before the spelling was changed to Walmart) for $1.88. I got it because it was all that was left on the peg and this was the first time I had seen any figure at all. Was not going home without my first figure, no matter who it was. I still have him.
                    Last edited by Makernaut; May 26, '22, 9:34 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

my first was Darth Vader. you could not find the figures they flew off the shelf so fast but my dad found it when he was out on his lunch break in NYC and brought it home for me. then for my 6th birthday my mom got me the rest of the original 12

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I remember seeing it in theaters I think on a Saturday matinee with some friends and of course our Mom’s too, I was so awestruck with Darth Vader and got his Halloween costume later on.

Although my first Star Wars figure was the Stormtrooper and then Vader. After collecting most of them I had to buy more Stormtroopers, you just couldn’t get enough Troopers.

I never did buy any of the 12” figures, probably because all I wanted was Darth Vader but couldn’t find him.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

I don't recall it being the first time I seen 'Star Wars', but I went to see it with the neighbors (IIRC, it was part of a birthday party), but anyway, we got there late: I remember we didn't get there until around the scene where Luke is getting beaten by the Sandpeople.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎