Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't broke, Don't fix, Just Augment a bit....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Ain't broke, Don't fix, Just Augment a bit....

I wholeheartedly feel that the New Mego body should've gone this route. It was simple...All Mego had to do was add this particular "Upper Arm" to their Type 2 bodies (torso) or even the Doc Mego bodies (torso), and it would've created a "Great Looking" and "Poseable" body with just this "Minor" adjustment. Example: Look at the outcome of my Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Lone Ranger...They have a perfect looking 8" body with multiple articulation (easily re-strung by me). All of my Mego figures have been re-done by me utilizing this same simple style. Hence, the ROM on the arms...it's "MAGNIFICENT" If Mego would've introduced these simple changes..."Measured Up" could've be an "UNDERSTATEMENT".

Last edited by Ivaniski; May 21, '22, 11:05 PM.
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Does anybody know where I could purchase more of these 'Upper Arms' or who could 3d print the ones that I currently have?
    Last edited by Ivaniski; May 21, '22, 7:10 AM.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Those are all amazing looking. Your upgrades to the arms have done a lot for the possibilities and the range of poses for the arms aren't a mere subtlety. Beautiful stuff!

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

...Except the original WAS "broke". The bands break, they are too tight, they are too loose... pins break and hooks bend... you may be comfortable restringing and repairing them, but I wouldn't assume everyone is. Plus, as you point out, it lacks swivel arms and other modern articulation. I'll add that the hands are not ideal (which I notice you have swapped them on all of the figures you posted). There is a reason the Type S has been so popular, even though it is $11... almost the price of a brand new Mego. A lot of people want an improved, bandless body for their Megos.

Now, in execution... I understand people being upset about the height. I don't think it is especially noticeable when displayed, but it was still a misstep and people have rightly been calling this out.

I somewhat get the waist thing. You can't see the waist on most figures because of their clothes. And vintage Mego has a funky waist too... we've just gotten used to the aesthetic. But if you were making a Namor figure in just green trunks, then I agree it would look odd. (The Type Z body did the best at solving this, but it did so at the expense of waist articulation.)

I suspect the "looseness" thing is manufactured hysteria. "If I shake the figure like a Polaroid, the legs flop a little bit." Ok, but that isn't really something we do with our figures? It poses nicely and feels sturdy in hand. At least that has been my experience so far with them.

My point is that while I can critique the execution... personally, I applaud Mego for trying to continue to evolve and improve. You did the same thing with your amazing customs! Your approach works great for customizing. But to solve the "bands" issues, I can understand why Mego chose to manufacture a totally new body.

Comment

• nubee
          Career Member
          • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Ivaniski
          Does anybody know where I could purchase more of these 'Upper Arms' or who could 3d print the ones that I currently have?
          The arms look alot like David Lee's original Castaway body before he developed the Type S. I think they are hard to come by nowadays. And yes they are a great body. All of mine needed to be rebanded but it wasn't too hard a task.

Comment

• Ivaniski
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 24, 2007

Coming soon my.... "HOLY GRAIL" of Superheroes......

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎