Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

I think they should make a live action movie off the comic story line of ( a Death in the Family and the Killing Joke) where the Joker beats Robin with a crowbar to death, and then make a continuation when the Joker paralyzes Batgirl, that would be an entertaining and must see movie.
    Last edited by TrekStar; May 15, '22, 8:07 PM.

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by TrekStar
      I think they should make a movie off the comic story line of the (Killing Joke) where the Joker beats Tim Robbins useless version of Robin to death, and then make a continuation when the Joker blows up Batgirl, that would be an entertaining and must see movie.
      Sorry if I’m misunderstanding, but Joker beat the Jason Todd version of Robin to death in “A Death in the Family.”

The Killing Joke is where Joker shoots Barbara Gordon, paralyzing her. They’ve done an animated movie of it, but I haven’t seen it so I can’t say whether it’s worth checking out or not.

For what it’s worth, I think Batman: the Animated Series is the best visual representation of Batman and his universe to date, and Mask of the Phantasm the most accurate feature film.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

What is a good 1970s storyline you would want done? I think the Manbat storyline could be fun. CGI could make an amazing Manbat and the flight visuals could be awesome.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

There are so many versions of Batman, there is probably one out there that has a sweet spot for everyone. I guess that’s a good thing. Every new director to come along no doubt wants to put their own spin on it.

I love Batman ‘66 for mostly nostalgia reasons. My favorite movie version was Burton’s first movie in ‘89. The mix felt right. Keaton treated it seriously. But the fun was still there. Burton’s second movie was a diminished version turned a tad too dark for me, with DeVito’s Penguin a misfire for me. It was the beginning of the over-the-top performances and gags that would turn Batman back into a parody again, imo.
          Last edited by YoungOnce; May 15, '22, 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
            What is a good 1970s storyline you would want done? I think the Manbat storyline could be fun. CGI could make an amazing Manbat and the flight visuals could be awesome.
            It’s been many years since I read it, but there was one story I believe where Hugo Strange auctioned off Batman’s true identity to the highest bidder, and then Joker beat the winner to death because he didn’t want anyone to discover who Batman really was. It was one of the first issues I remember that hinted at the Joker’s mad love for Batman. It wouldn’t do as a movie, but would’ve worked great as an episode of the animated series.

If I remember right, the panels in the book were laid out so that you only saw the lower legs/feet of the bidders, and then the the lower feet/legs of Joker enter the scene to do the murderous deed. The scene was mostly left up to the imagination of the reader as to what happened.

Of course, I maybe be totally wrong on the details, and/or conflating separate storylines, so if anyone out there can correct that, feel free.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I'm not holding my breath but I'm hoping one day they give Paul Dini a crack at Batman. I mean how many grew up watching Batman:TAS? Why has Warners never gone that route?

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                I'm not holding my breath but I'm hoping one day they give Paul Dini a crack at Batman. I mean how many grew up watching Batman:TAS? Why has Warners never gone that route?
                In today’s era of movie making that probably won’t happen, unfortunately. The default position for most studios now seems to be one that is inherently antagonistic to the fan bases attached to these historical IP’s. Dini would be viewed as nothing more than “fan service”, which is a cuss word to major American film studios.

The go to approach to established IP’s is to deconstruct them, reimagine them, repackage them, reskin them, and then deliver a story to “subvert” audience expectations. I think we are in the very early stages of studios shifting away from this antagonistic approach to the audience, but it’s going to take a long time to show up in the market place.

Besides, the last I heard Dini has been signed to continue the Animated Series for DC in comic book form, though I don’t know what ever became of it, as I gave up on DC for good after their last universe Reboot a few years back. The American comic book industry is in dreadful shape, DC in particular.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                  The American comic book industry is in dreadful shape, DC in particular.
                  I won't disagree, but I stuck with Aquaman through New 52 and Rebirth. He fared better than most from what I could glean online, certainly compared to how he was treated in the prior decade. I enjoyed the title and am grateful that DC, for whatever reason, saved the character even as they thrashed Superman and Batman.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; May 16, '22, 9:45 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

BTW, I hate reading past reviews calling Alicia Silverstone, "Fatgirl"

IMO, she was the most gorgeous Batgirl EVER -- even surpassing Yvonne Craig

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                      Lol
                      What are you smoking Mikey?

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                        BTW, I hate reading past reviews calling Alicia Silverstone, "Fatgirl"
                        Agreed, they're disgusting and wrong.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

personally, i always liked Dina Meyer as Batgirl, though Yvonne will always have a special place as the first and she was super hot too

batgirl.jpg

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

I always thought Alicia Silverstone was pretty hot and I think she filled out that Batgirl costume quite nicely, but I don’t think Batgirl was the right role for her, maybe more like Dick Grayson’s girlfriend.

But lets get serious folks, to say she or anyone else for that matter was a better Batgirl then Yvonne Craig is insane, but its also a free country so you have a right to you opinion.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

My biggest gripe about Batman and Robin nowadays is that it's just a lazy, almost beat-for-beat remake of Batman Forever. I like Forever, despite Kilmer being pretty stiff in the role, surprisingly. Like the first Burton film captured the early "mysterioso" days of the Finger/Kane Golden Age Batman run, Forever somehow feels more like the early 40s, young Robin era, despite Dick Grayson being an Adult Wonder.

Silverstone was the flavor of the month at the time she was cast as Batgirl. I wish they had kept her in the cowl for more than 2 seconds. Making her Alfred's niece was weird, but suited the story. She was fine for what it was.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

My grandson lived on B&R as a toddler so I was subjected to a daily dose of that film for a long stretch. Its probably a great case study in what people choose to see when placed in front of something repeatedly. I learned allot about the background, model sets, lighting, and color usage. Near the end, it evolved into a fairly abstract experience. But I discovered a few things along the way.

Of all the Batman films to date, the Schumacher installments hold up the best in terms of visual appeal (IMHO). Regardless of the dialogue, assorted costume choices, or lazy camera angles that do not mask the mechanics of a shot, both films are generally very pleasing to the eyes with the rich colors and OTT settings that strive to find that fantasy flavor of surrealism in comics. Its a fairly honest interpretation of the panel graphic artform while admittedly removing any weight of story so you can swim in the scenery.

If I've had a bad day, I can watch either of these films and just get lost in that world of fun, which services that desire for escapism. I think they serve their purpose well and apparently remain favorites for new generations of kids, which kind of speaks to their relevance. Like many have already stated, I wish the current brand of Batman films could dial back on the dysfunctional and depressed character model and try embracing a more kid friendly environment and appearance that doesn't have to take itself so serious. I hate to say it, but the Joker was right. (;

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎