X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Fast Food Chains you miss

Not sure if these places today are totally out of business or just scaled down and gone from my area...

Golden Skillet …
    BEST chicken shack EVER !!!

Roy Rogers …
    Man I can go for a Double-R-Bar Burger right now

Stewarts Drive-In ...
    Shrimp in a basket and Stewart's rip-off of the Big Mac were GREAT !!!

Bob's Big Boy …
    Bob invented the "Big Mac" … His version was way better than McDonalds

Cactus Jack's …
    This place seemed like a chain, but I never heard of any besides the one in my town … GREAT burgers !!!

Dog n' Suds …
    Not great, but a good town parking lot hang-out

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips …
    BEST fish and chicken joint EVER !!!
  • MegoMonk
    Career Member
    • Jan 22, 2007

Roy Rogers is my first choice. The Roast Beef was much better that Arbees, and the Fried Chicken was really good. I think there is still a Roy's across from Madison Square Garden. There is one Roys at one of the rest stops on the NJ Turnpike, too.

We still had an Arthur Treachers in the Staten Island Mall about 8 years ago. They were another good choice.

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

Is A&W still around? Used to love them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. Honestly, I think of them about once a month.

Treachers, Long John Silver's, Cap/n D's are all gone form my area now.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Duncan
          Museum focus-groupie
          • Jun 27, 2009

I moved to a place where there's no Roy's, so that's on me. We used to have a place called Cooker, which was basically American pub food. Great pot roast. We had another place called Spinnaker's that used to make their bread in clay flowerpots. It was wonderful. Pei Wei left this area, and so did Baja Fresh...no idea why those business models didn't work. We look for all of these places when we travel.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I thought Cooker's had wonderful food, are there any left?
            Last edited by PNGwynne; May 5, '22, 7:40 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

York Steakhouse, not sure if you consider it fast food? but I loved the food and remember going with my parents and later with friends, wish it was still around.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Red Barn.

We used to go as a family way back on weekends when I was a kid.

Their signature burger was the Big Barney, the equivalent of the Big Mac (and even predated the Big Mac).

But our go to food item was their fried chicken. Loved that chicken!

C07307B8-6A90-4F59-96B7-BB45D756C21A.jpeg

Yeah, great childhood memories…

369A530B-0E62-46E5-8D90-343AFC0B4F4B.jpg
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Pioneer Chicken is another one. The entire chain is gone except for only two remaining restaurants in Southern California.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

There’s still an Arthur Treachers near me. West side of Cleveland. Also love to go to Big Boy. There’s still one of those, as well.

Red Barn is also the first one I thought of. They were so distinct whenever you would drive by one of them. I miss White Castle by me as they left a few years ago.
                    Last edited by Goblin19; May 5, '22, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

We’ll shoot, the Arthur Treachers nearest me closed recently. There’s still one about 44 minutes from me. Apparently the last one left.

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by RonnyG
                        Is A&W still around? Used to love them.
                        I did an internet search, and I found their website, so yes, they are still around. Unfortunately, the nearest restaurant to my my zip code is 73 miles away!
                        So I guess my answer still qualifies as a fast food chain I miss. They're not gone, but I miss them. Not going to drive out of my way to eat there, though -- especially with gas prices as high as they are.

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

^agreed. A&W, for me, disappeared in the 70s because Sonic (gag) took over. At first, that wasn't terrible because Sonic was still regional, but once they went national, they became my LEAST favorite fast food ever. Sonic in the 70s and 80s was kind of comparable to to today's Whataburger. Past that, I don't know what they are and they seem to be getting worse.

I miss when it was Kentucky Fried Chicken, not KFC. And I miss Taco Bell...before they started sticking them together with a "KFC" and it became something else but kept the name. I miss Long John's....before they started mashing them together with KFC or Taco Bell or A&W and then everything but "KFC" and "Taco Bell?" disappeared.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Carl's Jr. .... They changed their burgers!!!

When you used to go to Carl's Jr/Hardees you were told the NOT to eat this burger while driving because the juices would drip down your shirt. Now there dry burgers and just not the same. They also used to serve turkey burgers, which was great if you eat bird more than beef.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

I wouldn't mind it if Hot 'n Now made a comeback...
                              Last edited by apes3978; May 6, '22, 2:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎