Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Super Powers brand is purely nostaliga driven at this point. Maybe McFarlane is trying to make it a general, anything goes DC brand...put he already has the Multiverse line for that, AND the new Page Punchers figures that could be that. Anything post 1990-something I think should be more or less left out of SP. The Hush Batman's costume is essentially the same as DKR and Batman:Year One, and to a lesser extent, the Golden Age costume, so it makes enough sense for me.
    sigpic

Comment

• Krypt0nite
      Radioactive!
      • Feb 13, 2010

My guess is that Mcfarlane is pushing this as a cheap budget lines that parents will buy for the price, but will also attract collectors for the pedigree.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
        My guess is that Mcfarlane is pushing this as a cheap budget lines that parents will buy for the price, but will also attract collectors for the pedigree.
        total agree with this
        i think this is planed as a evergreen line that spans all the dc comics eras past present and future with a bit of something for everyone at a affordable price point with some great vehicles and playsets

super kid and collector friendly

a great strategy in my opinion just hope it makes it over to the uk and the rest of the world at some point

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I hit the jackpot today at my local Walmart: floor display with lots of Wave 1.

The Batwing is smaller than I expected.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MegoSteve
            Superman's Pal
            • Jun 17, 2005

Found the Batwing today but it rang up at $29.97 and I don't want to pay that much. Bought Batman, though. Almost bought Darkseid, but he's never been a favorite and how many Darkseid figures do I really need?

It's just very cool that these are $10 and I hope they keep going. I'd love if they did Cyborg.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm really glad I found the Batwing for $20. It's a great toy, but it is a bit small. It's like a mini one-man Batwing, so $30 isn't as great of a value.
              sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                Superman's Pal
                • Jun 17, 2005

Batwing is still listed on their website as $19.97, so I could probably get one ordering online for store pickup. It's just weird that stores do that... Staples is notorious for having brick and mortar prices that are higher than their site.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Owning both vehicles, my guess is it's a mistake in the system of some stores. The Supermobile is quite a bit bigger and heftier, and the $30 price tag isn't surprising at all.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

It kind of reminds me of the Toad figure in the first wave of Marvel Legends...
                    Yeah, it's like having 90s EXTREME characters like Forearm, Ahab and X-cutioner in series 1 of an Xmen line with no Magneto.

Bat laughs is just such a pathetically cringeworthy parody level grim dark character. It still wouldn't even had been a blip on my roll my eyes radar if the character had been released much later after better villains like armor Lex, Bizarro, Catwoman, or a regular SP joker.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                      Batwing is still listed on their website as $19.97, so I could probably get one ordering online for store pickup. It's just weird that stores do that... Staples is notorious for having brick and mortar prices that are higher than their site.
                      im in the uk and dont have any walmarts but im guessing if they have them in store you can point out they are $20 on their website and they should price adjust match for you ,i read thats what others are doing anyway
                      good luck i hope you get fixed up

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 3, 2009

flash looks good and seems to scale well with the original figures
                        bodes well for new figures missing from the original line going forward

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

The Batman who laughs is a modern thing for younger collectors to try to get on board with these, and they will put out more of these types of figures in this line from what I have read. If McFarlane only put out stuff for the over fifty club than he would have a harder time pushing these at Wallmart to new collectors

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^DC has plenty of evergreen characters that appeal to all audiences. I can't imagine most of those characters, who have large media presence, aren't more interesting to collectors than a comics-only property (so far, thank goodness) like The Batman Who Laughs.

Anyway, I'm done beating that horse. McFarlane is going to do what he's going to do. As long as the figures are classic, or classic-based, I'll bite. I'll pass on the others.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

At the $10 price point with reduced articulation and paint and bright colorful vehicles this is a kids play line called Super Powers to draw in older collectors. Spin Master also has a DC line aimed at younger collectors without having yet to resort to scrapping through the bottom of the barrel characters like Bat Laughs. But they did release Joker, Riddler, Harley, Bane, Mr Freeze, Lex, Man Bat, Catwoman, Solomon Grundy, etc all of which appeal to kids and have more mainstream popularity and would fit in with the Super Powers branding.

The Extreme grim dark has been done already in the adult collector line. No point for it here. You want to draw in kids and younger collectors add Beastboy and Starfire not Bat Laughs who only has limited appeal to adult collectors.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

I think what is so frustrating, for so many, about this new line is Kenner's Super Powers line is legendary. It combined comic accurate sculpts based on the phenomenal Jose Luis Garcia Lopez style guide and redesigns by Jack Kirby with kid friendly bright colors and fun action features. It is a beloved benchmark other DC lines are measured against. I think the sculpts hold up to this day and you could argue the line really has never been equaled.

To see a new line take that beloved branding but with poorer sculpts, scale issues and questionable modern character choices is obviously going to be an issue. If this was called DC Super Heroes I don't think people would have blinked an eye. But it isn't, it's called Super Powers. That means something. I hope the line continues. I hope they fix the scale issues and I hope they add more era appropriate character choices. I hope we don't get the Bat Laughs evil Robins before we get the real Robin.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎