X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
    My guess is McFarlane will include some form of Batman or Bat Family character in every wave of these.
    I agree, Batman sells. It's a no brainer. But then why not Batgirl or Catwoman who were actually planned for the original SP line? Makes no sense. The line is full of weird choices like that. Like, the vehicles are perfect. They match the style and the era. Perfect fit for the original SP line but don't go with the modern versions of the figures they chose to make. It's such a nonsensical hodgepodge and would have been so easy to make it the figures match the retro designs of the vehicles and original SP line.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

They could sell a lot more figures to me if they would stay within the original mid 80s Super Powers era with character choices and designs. I suspect they're trying to rope the younger generation in with some of the weird modern character choices even though the line is primarily aimed at us adult collectors.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

McFarlane is doing what McFarlane always does, making the figures that he thinks are cool and aiming at what he imagines he would have thought was cool if he were 12 years old today. He doesn't care what 50+ year old collectors who bough the original Super Powers line want, or what DC collectors want, or what people think he should do or even what marketing folks tell him he should do. He's going to do what he wants to do, and screw whatever anyone else thinks. It's his money and his toybox and he's made a career out of doing what he wants and thumbing his nose at the expectations of anyone else. Todd does what Todd wants to do, and if he thinks the Batman Who Laughs would be a cool addition to the Super Powers line, then it's going to be in the Super Powers line and he will tell anyone who thinks differently to kiss off and if they want things different make the money to start your own damn toy company. That's what he did and nothing anyone who hasn't done it says to him matters. I am not defending hi or his choices, that's just who McFarlane is and has always been. He's not going to change because some toy collectors are crying online they don't like what he's doing, he couldn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks he should do or what they think does or doesn't belong ina Super Powers line. It's Todd's line now and what Todd wants is all that matters and all that you will ever see out of one of his toy lines (or comics).

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
          He's not going to change because some toy collectors are crying online they don't like what he's doing, he couldn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks he should do or what they think does or doesn't belong ina Super Powers line.
          The thing is, no one here is under the illusion we are talking to Mr. Mcfarlane. There's zero chance he is lurking here or reading my posts. We are discussing it politely with each other. Which we are kinda allowed to do here.

Mcfarlane toys knows how to do retro and keep with in a style. Just look at Batman 66. They look good.

Mcfarlane toys, obviously, has the right to make whatever they wish and we have the right to discuss it.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Honestly McFarlane making new, dark characters like The Batman Who Laughs in this format doesn't make any sense. Modern fans don't give a crap about the Super Powers style, and most older fans don't care for these new grittier characters. It's kind of a waste of space to make them in this format, in my opinion. Who are they made for? He's cranking out the Dark Metal stuff over in the 7" line and now the tiny page punchers, so why not just keep it there? It's an odd choice.

I'm not real crazy about the Hush Batman, but it's traditional enough that I may get it. I'm in for Superman, Supermobile and Batwing when I see them.

I believe John Stewart GL was one of the characters proposed for the original Super Powers line, so it will be nice to have him, even if he is a more modern version.
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Honestly McFarlane making new, dark characters like The Batman Who Laughs in this format doesn't make any sense. Modern fans don't give a crap about the Super Powers style, and most older fans don't care for these new grittier characters. It's kind of a waste of space to make them in this format, in my opinion. Who are they made for? He's cranking out the Dark Metal stuff over in the 7" line and now the tiny page punchers, so why not just keep it there? It's an odd choice.
              Agreed, it's been done to death already in other scales.

With the Batman 66 expanded universe of direct to video movies and comic book line, they could have just as easily shoehorned in the modern dark characters in that line as well. But they didn't. So, they do know how to do retro right and understand the market it's intended for.

I believe John Stewart GL was one of the characters proposed for the original Super Powers line, so it will be nice to have him, even if he is a more modern version.
              Yeah, he is great choice.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 1, '22, 2:38 PM.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                Radioactive!
                • Feb 13, 2010

Will these be in scale with the Batman 66 line?

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
                  Will these be in scale with the Batman 66 line?
                  No, they are in scale with Kenner Super Powers.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 22, 2011

Hit four different Wal-Marts in my area today and nothing so far.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Superman review

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I was excited to see Super Powers packaging at my local Walmart yesterday, only to find all that was left was 4 Darkseids. He was a pegwarmer in 1985, and he's still one now, apparently!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I was excited to see Super Powers packaging at my local Walmart yesterday, only to find all that was left was 4 Darkseids. He was a pegwarmer in 1985, and he's still one now, apparently!
                          Ha! Somethings never change. I think Kaybee still had some Super Powers Darkseids on the pegs when the Total Justice one came out.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^I've heard of that. In my neck of the woods, I think there were some Darkseids lingering when Toy Biz's DC Super Heroes/Batman line came out in '89.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

After rewatching the video review, another thing that sticks out to me is that in 84 Kenner's designers managed to do pinless knees but 38 years later somehow that knowledge is lost. These really are the second coming of Toy Biz's DC heroes.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 3, 2009

batwing review ,kenner darknight figure fitting at 4 mins

and mattel keaton batman fitting at 7 mins

this is only $20 hard to believe in this day and age
                                Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jul 7, '22, 6:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎