• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by nubee
    Many thanks for the pics.

For those who have taken the figures out, how is the new body? Are the joints tight/loose? There is a YouTube video and the Storm Shadow body was kinda loose. :(
    My set is fine. I’ve definitely had looser type-s bodies.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by nubee
      Many thanks for the pics.

For those who have taken the figures out, how is the new body? Are the joints tight/loose? There is a YouTube video and the Storm Shadow body was kinda loose. :(
      I saw that review, and the waist was super loose. He had a lot of trouble getting it to stand up straight.

Comment

• SpideyDude73
        • Jul 5, 2019

Easily my favorite new Megos. I am biased because GI Joe is very high on my list. By far, the most exciting acquisition of 2022 of all the lines I collect. Maybe not the entire GI Joe line, but I sure hope we see some more of these.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Got mine yesterday, and I am super impressed at every aspect of these. Joints were nice and tight. The only minior problem I had in posing was when I had Storm Shadow's backpack loaded down with all the gear. But I crunched him forward a bit and he held the pose just fine.

These really feel like another evolution of Mego. Closer in some ways to what NECA does with cloth-costumed 8" figures, but with even more accessories, like a Mezco One:12 Collective figure. But they still keep that fun, toy-like aeshetic that is pure "MEGO".

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            But they still keep that fun, toy-like aeshetic that is pure "MEGO".
            That actually reminds me! I thought the non-rotocast heads would bother me a little (either because they would look different, feel different, whatever). Maybe it is just because these are characters who wear masks, but I wasn't bothered by the heads at all. In fact, I didn't even think about them being different until I was thinking about "Mego aesthetic". To me, they still feel totally Mego despite the changes and improvements.

Comment

• nubee
              Career Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Got mine yesterday, and I am super impressed at every aspect of these. Joints were nice and tight. The only minior problem I had in posing was when I had Storm Shadow's backpack loaded down with all the gear. But I crunched him forward a bit and he held the pose just fine.

These really feel like another evolution of Mego. Closer in some ways to what NECA does with cloth-costumed 8" figures, but with even more accessories, like a Mezco One:12 Collective figure. But they still keep that fun, toy-like aeshetic that is pure "MEGO".

Chris
              Great News. Thanks for letting us know the joints are not loose. Now where r my Ghost Busters, Mego and Hasbro?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Video review that shows the body NAKED, for those of you whom like that kind of thing...

Comment

• KnightDetective
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  Video review that shows the body NAKED, for those of you whom like that kind of thing...
                  Thanks, Lonnie!

I can just hear my Dad holler, "DON'T LOOK ETHEL! It wuz too late, she wuz done an' incensed!"
                  (For the youngsters, I'm referencing that great Ray Stevens classic, "The Streak"!)

Thanks, Lonnie!

Comment

• ToyBob
                    Museum Patron
                    • Feb 21, 2022

They look awesome, love to get them. Would have totally thrown down my money for this and Ghostbusters but it's US only shipping. Thanks sprytel & JosephProductions, at least I can look at them.
                    I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by ToyBob
                      They look awesome, love to get them. Would have totally thrown down my money for this and Ghostbusters but it's US only shipping. Thanks sprytel & JosephProductions, at least I can look at them.
                      I'm sure you could find a museum member that would be willing to send a pair to you in Canada. There's an awful lot of nice people here.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Some general thoughts:

Snake Eyes looks cheap. While the head sculpt is great, the pleathery muscle bits come off as a custom to me. I assumed those were mock-up bits that wouldn't end up looking so cheap in the final product. If this was a customizer doing it, I'd say it was pretty darn good, but I expect the Hasbro/Mego version from a factory to look more professional. I actually think the figure would look better without those and just a black jumpsuit.

Storm Shadow is kind of the opposite. The costume looks quite good but the head sculpt is weird to me. Doesn't scream Storm Shadow. I know a lot of modern interpretations of the character show those weird panel lines along the head and face, but it looks weird here and would have worked better with more of a classic SS "mummy" wrapped ninja face.

Nice assortment of weapons and such. The clunky backpacks and things aren't needed. Almost too much webgear and stuff. This is a common modern Joe problem, but I kinda feel like this is sometimes a Mego issue in general. Sometimes less is more. The more you add to these types of figures, even if accurate to the source material, starts to make the figures worse off. You can see why some of the goofy shortcuts the original Mego took made sense.

Kinda odd that they skipped SS's tattoo since it would be an easy thing to include.

Bodies are a bit loose and just a little bit of general wonkiness, but not terrible.

I feel like they're decent but kinda underwhelming and I think there's potential there for some good custom fodder, but I almost want to make a new outfit for SE and a new head for SS and remove some of the extra bits and would have better figures and would come across as a bit more "Mego" than these.

Your mileage may vary.
                        Last edited by ODBJBG; May 10, '22, 3:27 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

My mileage varies a little bit, so here are my two cents

I opened mine yesterday and I am a little mixed on the set.

Generally speaking, my bodies did not have loose joints. In fact, some joints were very, very tight and made me scared to move the wrists and one elbow joint. I got them moving with no breakage. The hands are small, which led to some issues holding Snake Eye's guns. The accessories are nice, although Snake Eye's backpack is heavy in comparison to Storm Shadow's and doesn't fit well into the back holder, so I won't be using it. It's only advantage is to hold the sword, but that's all Snake Eyes can hold without adding stress to the hands.

The figures themselves...

Snake Eyes looks good to me. The head sculpt is good. I like the outfit and all of the bits, including the accessories. The hands are small and there is no where to store his Uzi on his body. The boot quality is nicer than some regular Mego releases -- solid and not rubbery -- but they are a bit loose. Maybe that's due to a smaller foot design of the new body? So a few minor quibbles, with the small hands being the worst, but an overall solid figure.

The first thing I noticed with Storm Shadow was how thin his outfit is; I can see the flesh color of the body right through the outfit. Besides that, the outfit is nicely designed. The wrist wraps are nice, and the new ninja boots fit nice and snug. He stands well with his backpack fully loaded with his bow and swords; I am sure it is helped with the boots being nice and solid and not rubbery. The head sculpt is good too. He holds his swords and nunchucks well. I haven't tried the bow, but I don't think that will be a problem. I don't know what to do with those little throwing stars, so they went straight into a container, with the Uzi and that little knife (whose knife is that?). A very nice figure, but that thin white outfit...

These definitely feel more like collectibles than toys, and I guess the price reflects that. And what I mean is the fragility of these. Maybe I was influenced by some of the early thoughts I read about the set, but unlike a Mego off the shelf, I handled these with much more care and ultimately felt like I needed to. I look forward to the Topps figures arriving because I think I will be more comfortable putting the new body through its' paces.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                            Snake Eyes looks cheap. While the head sculpt is great, the pleathery muscle bits come off as a custom to me. I assumed those were mock-up bits that wouldn't end up looking so cheap in the final product. If this was a customizer doing it, I'd say it was pretty darn good, but I expect the Hasbro/Mego version from a factory to look more professional. I actually think the figure would look better without those and just a black jumpsuit.
                            It's funny you should say that. I haven't seen Snake eyes, but I thought the exact same thing when I was in Walmart yesterday looking for Monster High. I saw the Mole Man, and the wolfman/fly combo pack and I thought they looked like cheap-looking customs to me. The fabrics used looked extremely thin. Now sometimes that adds to the appeal because it reminds some people of the old, knock-off figures--- but not at those high prices! The Mole Man was $19.99, and the combo pack was like $40! By comparison, the Monster High dolls I ended up getting were $25 each, and the quality was so much better, and more bang for your buck. I realize Mego is not on the same level as Mattel, but as a consumer I would more likely buy them if they were cheaper priced. I guess its because they're being marketed as collectibles, and not toys?
                            Last edited by RonnyG; May 12, '22, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
                              My mileage varies a little bit, so here are my two cents

I opened mine yesterday and I am a little mixed on the set.

Generally speaking, my bodies did not have loose joints. In fact, some joints were very, very tight and made me scared to move the wrists and one elbow joint. I got them moving with no breakage. The hands are small, which led to some issues holding Snake Eye's guns. The accessories are nice, although Snake Eye's backpack is heavy in comparison to Storm Shadow's and doesn't fit well into the back holder, so I won't be using it. It's only advantage is to hold the sword, but that's all Snake Eyes can hold without adding stress to the hands.

The figures themselves...

Snake Eyes looks good to me. The head sculpt is good. I like the outfit and all of the bits, including the accessories. The hands are small and there is no where to store his Uzi on his body. The boot quality is nicer than some regular Mego releases -- solid and not rubbery -- but they are a bit loose. Maybe that's due to a smaller foot design of the new body? So a few minor quibbles, with the small hands being the worst, but an overall solid figure.

The first thing I noticed with Storm Shadow was how thin his outfit is; I can see the flesh color of the body right through the outfit. Besides that, the outfit is nicely designed. The wrist wraps are nice, and the new ninja boots fit nice and snug. He stands well with his backpack fully loaded with his bow and swords; I am sure it is helped with the boots being nice and solid and not rubbery. The head sculpt is good too. He holds his swords and nunchucks well. I haven't tried the bow, but I don't think that will be a problem. I don't know what to do with those little throwing stars, so they went straight into a container, with the Uzi and that little knife (whose knife is that?). A very nice figure, but that thin white outfit...

These definitely feel more like collectibles than toys, and I guess the price reflects that. And what I mean is the fragility of these. Maybe I was influenced by some of the early thoughts I read about the set, but unlike a Mego off the shelf, I handled these with much more care and ultimately felt like I needed to. I look forward to the Topps figures arriving because I think I will be more comfortable putting the new body through its' paces.
                              There are actually little "pockets" on Storm Shadow's belt where the throwing stars tuck in. It is actually one of the more ingenious features of the design. The little knife goes in his belt too.

Comment

• TRDouble
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                                There are actually little "pockets" on Storm Shadow's belt where the throwing stars tuck in. It is actually one of the more ingenious features of the design. The little knife goes in his belt too.
                                Thanks, sprytel! I am going to take a second look at that.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎