• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Barbie, The Movie?!?

Barbie: The Movie?!?

I had no idea this was in production. Of course, I'll wait to see what kind of story they create, but I can't imagine any interest around a Barbie-themed movie. That would be like creating a movie around a Disney ride! That said, it is being directed by Greta Gerwig and written by her and her husband Noah Baumbach so who knows. And if it's successful, maybe we can get another Action Jackson film, but this time based on the Mego character that launched an empire!

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

There have been numerous direct to home video animated Barbie movies going back to the 80s.

But, yeah, they've been threatening a live action Barbie movie for ages. It's going to be very challenging to get right. It will be extremely difficult to appeal to fans of the iconic property, kids and appease the lines' detractors.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
      There have been numerous direct to home video animated Barbie movies going back to the 80s.

But, yeah, they've been threatening a live action Barbie movie for ages. It's going to be very challenging to get right. It will be extremely difficult to appeal to fans of the iconic property, kids and appease the lines' detractors.
      I think Margot Robbie is miscast. She's played too many "bad girl" roles at this point. She doesn't come off as wholesome in that photo, which I think Barbie should.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I think Margot Robbie is miscast. She's played too many "bad girl" roles at this point.
        I don't really disagree with that but I also can't think of anyone else that would work either. Robbie seems to be the popular go to actress right now and there had been worse choices rumored to have been up for the part.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

In my opinion, this movie has to either be perfectly made, and the tone perfectly timed to the mood of the general public at the time, or it will be a collosal flop that could potentially sink Robbie's career.
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

If they can't use GI Joe perhaps Combat Carl or Action Hank.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

From IMDB:
              A doll living in 'Barbieland' is expelled for not being perfect enough and sets off on an adventure in the real world. A Live-action feature film based on the popular line of Barbie toys.

Barbie---Margot Robbie
              Ken--Ryan Gosling

Also has Simu Liu, America Ferrera, Will Ferrell, Michael Cera, Rhea Perlman
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Well….the eye popping pink car is pretty colorful.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I have no plans to pay to watch this but finding out that Simu Liu is in it boyfriend just told me 'we' might be watching this to support Asian actors (yeah boyfriend has last word in this )
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 30, '22, 10:04 PM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    From IMDB:
                    A doll living in 'Barbieland' is expelled for not being perfect enough and sets off on an adventure in the real world.
                    This actually has potential. And given that Gerwig and Baumbach are writing, it could be fun. Maybe a variation of the The Brady Bunch Movie ('95) vibe.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

The fact it’s Gerwig and Baumabach makes it extremely intriguing to me.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Goblin19
                        The fact it’s Gerwig and Baumabach makes it extremely intriguing to me.
                        That fact that it has Margo Robbie in it makes it extremely compelling to me.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Come on, Barbie, let's go party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I'll be honest. I thought when they said they were doing a Barbie movie,I thought they were doing a movie about Ruth Handler and how she created Barbie.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                              I'll be honest. I thought when they said they were doing a Barbie movie,I thought they were doing a movie about Ruth Handler and how she created Barbie.
                              I'd rather watch that.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎