Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Churchy
    • Apr 23, 2022

Advice needed in selling very rare Teen Titan's Mego's

Hi all, found these unopened Mego dolls original from the 70's while wife and I were clearing out my Mother in Laws house. They were bought apparently at a garage sale in the 70's and then just stored in a closet that hasn't been gone through in decades.
    Need advice on best method of selling. I see these have gone for $400 and up each when still unopened. Is it best to sell as a pair or sell them one by one? My wife is reluctant to sell but I'm not sure if these are likely to increase in value. Any tips? We are not experts at all. Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Churchy; Apr 25, '22, 1:47 PM.
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

There are several ways you could try and see them. Auction houses should bring in the high end collectors. Ebay is another way. Since the cards are in great shape I will put a reserve to make sure your not ripped off.

I would invest in some plastic cases to protect them. Since there not punched it drives up the value even through there is writing on it.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding the writing, if it is China pencil and not marker, that is fairly easy to remove.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Churchy
        • Apr 23, 2022

I did not know about the holes not punched increasing value or if removing the writing is an option. The writing is over 40 years old, I would hope not to damage the card by trying to remove the writing the wrong way
        Thanks for the tips.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I second the advice about protective clamshells, and would say it is definitely your call with regards to removing any writing on the cards.
          These items have been reissued by a modern toy company, but I don't thing that would have any negative effect on original vintage carded values.
          I was last hunting for Teen Titans about 5 years ago and mint carded examples were fetching 4-600 at about that time if I recall correctly. I expect realized prices have gone up a bit since then, but I don't know if any increases are significant. I would suggest selling them individually.
          There is a sub-thread somewhere in these forums titled "the going rate" which may have a good indicator of value, depending on how recently someone reported to it.

Cool find. Best of luck with them.

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 26, 2014

A set of carded teen titans was listed on ebay in January for $900 BIN each and haven't sold yet. The cards are also unpunched, with no writing on the cards, but the wondergirl card has some price sticker residue and the aqualad card has a creased corner, but neither has any writing. I think they're fair comps, and IMO they are worth about $600-800 each. Also, any auction site is going to take a 10-20% fee, so I would keep that in mind if selling direct. I have had good experiences selling in the mego facebook groups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334280224494

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334280224649

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by TheMegoGuy
              A set of carded teen titans was listed on ebay in January for $900 BIN each and haven't sold yet. The cards are also unpunched, with no writing on the cards, but the wondergirl card has some price sticker residue and the aqualad card has a creased corner, but neither has any writing. I think they're fair comps, and IMO they are worth about $600-800 each. Also, any auction site is going to take a 10-20% fee, so I would keep that in mind if selling direct. I have had good experiences selling in the mego facebook groups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334280224494

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334280224649
              Yes I think your right about the net worth price, $600-800 maybe meet in between at $700, if selling my first options would be facebook groups or even here in the marketplace, ebay will charge you a sellers fee, just keep that in mind, but regardless you have a pair of very nice figures, good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

Well, first of all, they are NOT dolls, they are ACTION FIGURES. Mego and doll do not belong in the same sentence. After that I have no advice whatsoever. I have zero experience with the TT line. Good luck and congrats on a great find!

Comment

• Churchy
                  • Apr 23, 2022

Updated- Found another Action Figure

Thanks all for the advice. During clean out, we discovered one more Mego figure. Black Hole boxed. I have no clue about this figure and never heard of the Black Hole. The box is not perfect, but the figure was never opened. Any idea of the value? I am hoping to not have to start an account on Worthpoint but we also found several vintage Sesame Street 1970's toys that are still unopened so we have alot of work to do figuring all this out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

the Black Hole is a Disney movie from 1979. They were attempting to ride the post Star Wars sci-fi wave, but might have been a little ahead of their time. The MEGO toylines were awesome, but not necessarily big sellers. The 12" versions don't really command the same type of pricing that the super-hero figures do, tho some of the small scale figures ( 3 3/4") are super rare and pricey. 12" Durant is probably going somewhere in the 40-70 range, I am guessing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                      Well, first of all, they are NOT dolls, they are ACTION FIGURES. Mego and doll do not belong in the same sentence. After that I have no advice whatsoever. I have zero experience with the TT line. Good luck and congrats on a great find!
                      They look like dolls to me.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Well I guess if it’s for a girl it’s a doll, for a boy it’s an action figure. So if a girl plays with mego’s she’s playing with???

if a boy plays with dolls??? his Dad needs to have have a heart to heart talk with him, unless the boys are undressing Barbie and throwing away the clothes.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Churchy
                          Hi all, found these unopened Mego dolls original from the 70's while wife and I were clearing out my Mother in Laws house. They were bought apparently at a garage sale in the 70's and then just stored in a closet that hasn't been gone through in decades.
                          Need advice on best method of selling. I see these have gone for $400 and up each when still unopened. Is it best to sell as a pair or sell them one by one? My wife is reluctant to sell but I'm not sure if these are likely to increase in value. Any tips? We are not experts at all. Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Very cool find and story. As for selling, I think ebay is your best bet. Although it seems like fees add up to 15% now. You might even get a generous offer from some member here.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                            Very cool find and story. As for selling, I think ebay is your best bet. Although it seems like fees add up to 15% now. You might even get a generous offer from some member here.
                            Also starting this year, eBay and other marketplaces are required by the IRS to issue a Form 1099-K for all sellers who receive $600 or more in sales. I used to sell stuff on ebay for fun in my spare time, but now it doesn't seem worth the hassle unless you're in to bookkeeping, and like to itemize your sales, fees, refunds and reimbursements.

Comment

• David Jackson
                              • Oct 17, 2013

I would try a local collector buyer first...facebook groups are a great way to find them. I would be super nervous shipping them for fear of damage along the way.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎