X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

Magazines?

Does anybody here still buy print magazines or miss them? Back in the day I got more excited when I would read buzz about a movie or new toy line in a magazine then on the internet. I used to get Toyfare, Comics Scene, Starlog, Toy news and Review. oh well save money and space by not anymore) oh I still get a sub to Maxim magazine in the mail from something I ordered 20 years ago.lol.
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

I do still pick up magazines on occasion, mostly music related, but I don't have any subscriptions any longer.

My favorite magazine these days is Toy-Ventures.

Comment

• Duncan
      Museum focus-groupie
      • Jun 27, 2009

I still get a few subs. I look forward to Consumer Reports, though I'm not a fan of the way they made it more chaotic for the younger audience. I also get 1-2 free subs per year thru T-Mobile rewards. That's usually Men's Health and maybe Food Network. A family friend has been getting me Cook's Illustrated for about 15 years (and I recommend it). When the mood hits, I might get Clean Eating or Entertainment Weekly, or something for whatever my current hobby is. I get the email notices from discountmags.com, and they've always got stuff for $5-10 for a year. Putting down my phone to read them...that's another matter.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Toy Ventrues, HorrorHound, RetroFan are all fun magazines these days.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• shazam7208
          Career Member
          • Oct 28, 2008

I still buy new magazines that come out, usually the retro magazines and some celebrity mags. I buy vintage magazines and tabloids all the time...especially issues with Lynda Carter in them.

I love magazines and feel the same about them that I do comic books....I don't want to read them online, I want something tangible and in my hands! Something to collect and have.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by shazam7208
            I love magazines and feel the same about them that I do comic books....I don't want to read them online, I want something tangible and in my hands! Something to collect and have.

I feel the same way about them... Physical media (DVDs/Blu-Rays, CDs, etc.) as well...

Comment

• Klosterheim
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 23, 2013

A few years ago I missed magazines even before they were mostly gone,

so I went through some old Starlog and related magazines that were still around.

It was fun finding a magazine with a record in it.

Nowadays, if I hear about a magazine that has a good story printed in it, I'll try to get that issue. A fiction story.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i was getting Entertainment Weekly but that has now been cancelled. so i do not currently get any magazines

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

I still pick up print magazines fairly regularly. Star Wars Insider, Retro Gamer, Infinity (vintage sci-fi and fantasy movies, TV, etc.).

I do miss Starlog, Comics Scene, Wizard, ToyFare, etc.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I greatly enjoy Toy Ventures, Retro Fan, and Back Issue magazine. I get Toy Ventures directly from Brian, and the later two from my LCS.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

The last wrestling magazine (at least in the U.S.) Pro Wrestling Illustrated has actually increased it's frequency from 6 to 9 times a year. I read that along with Toy-Ventures, back Issue and Retro Fan. I read magazines all the time through as I collect back issue wrestling mags to fill in gaps in my collection and read. Unlike my comics which are treated carefully, I have no problem reading those mags when I'm eating and basically treating them like exactly as I did when they were originally coming out. Great time capsules.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 19, 2019

I mainly go to book stores and read em for free. I'm probably one of the reasons print is on the way out.
                        Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

I work in the trade media, and we just stopped printing our monthly magazine when Covid hit. All the offices we were sending it to were closed. I don't currently have any magazine subscriptions, but pick up individual issues once in a while. I made it a point to clear out old magazines a few years ago, but I do have a few Starlogs, TV Guides, Mad Magazine and Playboys someplace.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 3, 2010

I used to love getting the new comics scene, fangoria, , music,movie and toy mags back in the day. I have saved most them and still have them. It was always exciting to get new info on upcoming movies, music, and of course toys.
                            mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 8, 2015

Yes,

There is Documentary, which come out 4 times a year. Maybe film maker or movie maker if there is a good article.

Retrofan and ReWind magazine for toys and nostalgia.

G Fan the Godzilla fanzine still going after 27 years!!!!

Guitar player and guitar world on occasion. It's NOT the 80's anymore so I don't buy it monthly as I used too.

GOLD MINE every month!! Woohoo!!

The same people who used to do Toy shop and Comic Buyers Guide.

Lastly Classic Rock from the UK, as the people who used to write for Kerrang magazine back in the day, started this mag. Every month for sure.

All that build up over the centuries. Still have ALL my Kerrang's, metal Hammer's, Raw's and metal forces from back in the day.

And I could or could not mention my collection of adult magazines!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎