Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasbro to bring back Kenner's Starting lineup figures.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Hasbro to bring back Kenner's Starting lineup figures.

Nothing I really collected but I remember these being huge in the late 80s to late 90s. Happy for the fans. I'm actually kind of surprised it took them so long to bring it back.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I wasn't a sports guy, but these came out right as I was getting out of playing with toys. A lot of my school mates and friends were buying them. I kind of wanted in, because they were toys! They were completely acceptable to buy too, unlike action figures at that age. Very strange, really.
    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

In partnership with Fanatics, the company that bought out Topps.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

I've got about two dozen of them they can have back. Anyone need a Ken O'Brien SLU? Anyone?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I wasn't a sports guy, but these came out right as I was getting out of playing with toys. A lot of my school mates and friends were buying them. I kind of wanted in, because they were toys! They were completely acceptable to buy too, unlike action figures at that age. Very strange, really.
          Yep I remember my dad even getting into the game, excited to buy Dan Marino and Joe Montana. I told em he should pick up the rookie Favre because that guy was going to be really good.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
            Career Member
            • Aug 3, 2010

Originally posted by rykerw1701
            I've got about two dozen of them they can have back. Anyone need a Ken O'Brien SLU? Anyone?
            Lol! As a jets fan I have him but don’t want him. I still have about 30 figures ranging from 88 Jordan to a 94 Messier
            mego's befo ho's

Comment

• MrKnowitAll
              • Sep 25, 2021

As short Round said in the Temple of doom-Big Mistake Indy!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

This is what the Topps/Mego lineup should have been. Mego Starting Lineup would have been like printing money.

All I remember where those awful 'statue-action figures' that would hit the clearance stickers if they were not the hot sports figure at that time. To be truthful I never remember looking for them to resale at the comic book store.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Still hoping we someday see more boxers as Mego’s
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

On a related note I went a sports card show as a kid that had multiple dealers selling a 9' plastic Jordan figure with a shooting pose ( sorta like the remco Hulk )One dealer said they were factory overstock for an unproduced MJ shooting basket playset game. It would be interesting to see that item again if anyone else knows what I'm talking about.

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                      multiple dealers selling a 9' plastic Jordan figure with a shooting pose
                      A 9-foot Jordan?!! Larger than life?
                      Dang, where would you display something that big?

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                        On a related note I went a sports card show as a kid that had multiple dealers selling a 9' plastic Jordan figure with a shooting pose ( sorta like the remco Hulk )One dealer said they were factory overstock for an unproduced MJ shooting basket playset game. It would be interesting to see that item again if anyone else knows what I'm talking about.
                        Was it the Enterbay figure?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for NBA - Michael Jordan 1 9 Scale Action Figure ENTERBAY at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by sprytel
                          Was it the Enterbay figure?

https://www.ebay.com/p/2195207590
                          It must've been this item
                          hi-res-57a2f464ed82425b303e40246e096398_crop_north.jpg

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

I was well past toys in 1988, but I do remember these. Especially the football ones as they immediately brought to mind the NFL Action Team Mates. Big difference in the two lines of figures, I know, but SLU reminded me that NFL toys had previously gotten the attention of kids and the period between those two lines had been ruled by Star Wars.

The SLU line is very interesting in that it was pitched to Kenner by Cincinnati Bengal Pat McInally while he was in the final year of his NFL career (1986). McInally has the distinction of achieving the only verified perfect score on the Wonderlic Test that the NFL uses to gauge player intelligence. Story is, he took it again in 2007 and only missed one, to which he replied, "Not bad after six concussions." McInally got his own figure in the 10th Anniversary line and was paid royalties on the $700 million the SLU line made in sales over its lifetime.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...22/7404603001/

Here's a scan of the story behind SLU and McInally's involvement.
                            https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspo...ng-lineup.html
                            Last edited by Makernaut; Apr 26, '22, 7:08 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                              This is what the Topps/Mego lineup should have been. Mego Starting Lineup would have been like printing money.
                              Topps/Mego couldn't take my money quickly enough! I have to imagine, though, that adding action figures to Topps licensing agreement would be prohibitive for Mego.
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎