Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasbro to bring back Kenner's Starting lineup figures.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

What was the company that made Hall of Fame Baseball players? they came in window boxes that you could open the front like the 12” sideshow figures. They made 12” Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Honus Wagner-Cy Young, Grover Alexander and a few more, I’m thinking late 80’s?? maybe they were called Hall of Fame Heroes Collection? I know they were definitely 12” size.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Okay I just remembered and they were 12” Kenner Starting Line Up Cooperstown Collection series, not sure if their worth much but I thought they were pretty cool.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
        Career Member
        • Aug 3, 2010

Originally posted by Makernaut
        I was well past toys in 1988, but I do remember these. Especially the football ones as they immediately brought to mind the NFL Action Team Mates. Big difference in the two lines of figures, I know, but SLU reminded me that NFL toys had previously gotten the attention of kids and the period between those two lines had been ruled by Star Wars.

The SLU line is very interesting in that it was pitched to Kenner by Cincinnati Bengal Pat McInally while he was in the final year of his NFL career (1986). McInally has the distinction of achieving the only verified perfect score on the Wonderlic Test that the NFL uses to gauge player intelligence. Story is, he took it again in 2007 and only missed one, to which he replied, "Not bad after six concussions." McInally got his own figure in the 10th Anniversary line and was paid royalties on the $700 million the SLU line made in sales over its lifetime.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...22/7404603001/

Here's a scan of the story behind SLU and McInally's involvement.
        https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspo...ng-lineup.html
        Thanks for that story, very interesting. I do not recall the player. That Bengal team was good. Munoz , Icky, and Boomer I remember. Kenner being there in Cincy, they must have been big Bengal fans.
        mego's befo ho's

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by TrekStar
          Okay I just remembered and they were 12” Kenner Starting Line Up Cooperstown Collection series, not sure if their worth much but I thought they were pretty cool.
          I have some of the Hockey and Football 12" Starting lineup dolls. I loved how they gave the Buffalo Sabres Hasek his cage instead of the goalie mask. Another company made 12" Hockey Dolls too; I forget the company, but I have the St Louis Blues Grant Fuhr and Avalanche Patrick Roy.

That makes me wonder what depth Hasbro will go, especially since no one has done articulated Sports ACTION Figures since those little 5" NFL figures (I had a Reggie Bush and a few others) and Hasbro is known most recently for their Marvel Legends style of articulated figures.

It should be interesting, but I have boxes and boxes of McFarlane Sports Picks still taking up way too much space, so unless it's a Bills or Sabres player I feel will be around for a while (although that didn't work out with Jack Eichel), I will be watching from the sidelines.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Anyone else think their new logo looks A LOT like the Justice League movie logo?

sigpic

Comment

• ToyTalk
              Career Member
              • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
              Lol! As a jets fan I have him but don’t want him. I still have about 30 figures ranging from 88 Jordan to a 94 Messier
              Also a Jets fan and as much as I enjoyed watching Ken O'Brien get sacked, something he did often, I do not want his SLU figure either.
              Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

These look like sports figures with Marvel Legends articulation. I guess they will be 6 inches? I don't recall seeing the scale anywhere.

Fully articulated sports figures could do well on the market, especially if priced at the same price as Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black, Power Rangers, etc. at this scale. I paid $30 for a non-articulated Dragon Import Josh Allen (now $40), so $25-$30 for an articulated version of my favorites teams' players is something something I would probably buy.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I'd be interested in any Boxers they make. I have their 12" Ali vs Frazier two pack.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by ToyTalk
                    Also a Jets fan and as much as I enjoyed watching Ken O'Brien get sacked, something he did often, I do not want his SLU figure either.
                    O'Brien had a great arm, but he held on to the ball way too long. Having said that, his Starting Line Up probably should have had him on the ground with a Bruce Smith footprint next to his head.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

they are up for pre order at hasbro pulse but at the sticker shock price of $49.99

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Yeah, definitely not priced as a casual buy. I may still get one if they release a Buffalo Bill or Sabre (yeah, RIGHT!), but otherwise, too rich for my budget.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
                          Yeah, definitely not priced as a casual buy. I may still get one if they release a Buffalo Bill or Sabre (yeah, RIGHT!), but otherwise, too rich for my budget.
                          The obvious Bill would be Josh Allen. But I can't imagine a Sabre from the last 15 years worth releasing. And it hurts to say that.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎