• monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Austin TX 1966 premier

Taken from Twitter:

Penguin & Joker Austin TX 1966 1.jpg

Penguin & Joker Austin TX 1966 2.jpg

From Annie (granddaughter of Burgess Meredith:

a candid snapshot from my grandfather's personal archives of himself and Cesar Romero in full Penguin & Joker costume smoking together right before a Batman-themed parade in Austin, TX - July 30th, 1966. I should also add that Burgess and Cesar tried to find a Mexican Restaurant far enough away from the venue - not in costume but in full makeup. Burgess just could not handle the idea of children watching him (as the Penguin) drinking a margarita. Cesar didn't care....but they were still spotted. But just imagining Burgess in his long Penguin nose drinking a margarita is enough to make anyone's day, I think.

"Batman" World Premiere at the Paramount (1966)
    This footage was shot on Super 8 film by James E. Johnson on July 30. 1966 at the world premier of "Batman: The Movie" at the Paramount Theatre in Austin, Texas. See the cast of the movie drive by the Paramount on Congress Avenue, where there was an estimated crowd of 30,000 kids and adults to see them. You can see Batman (Adam West), Catwoman (Lee Meriwether), the Penguin (Burgess Meredith) and the Joker (Cesar Romero).
    The "Batman" movie premiered in Austin because the Batboat was made in Austin by the Glastron company, they requested the premiere be in Austin as part of their deal. The boat was on display at the Paramount during the premiere, which was intended to be a pre-festival benefit for the city's annual Aqua Festival.
    Special thanks to Austin American Statesman journalist Michael Barnes, who was instrumental in tracking down this footage.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Marvelous, thanks for posting.

That seems to debunk Buzz's oft-told anecdote that his quack was to cover coughing during filming because he supposedly hadn't smoked for years before the show.

Off-camera, they look like the middle-aged men they are. Romero was famous for chilling out between takes and then suddenly being full of energy for shooting. They must have been uncomfortable, I can attest to cosplay be hot--particularly with a hat or wig.

This really made my day. The Penguin looks great, like he is still campaigning for mayor. Nice to see West interacting with those excited kids, too.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Penguin for President, looks like he’s campaigning. Were Burt Ward and Frank Gorshin at this parade?

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

As far as I have seen they did not show up.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡