Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you guys generally consider "modern" toys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesharkman
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 1, 2019

what do you guys generally consider "modern" toys?

I've picked up just about every line of super hero toys since secret wars and super powers and for every line I usually picked up every character, vehicle and structure. 99% of all my cards and boxes are mint as I oogled them for a few mins and then put them in a box. The only ones I've sold were the ones from that large toybiz collection. Not sure why I let that line go a while back.. =) It might be time to let 'em go, but I'm not sure anyone even wants these things. We shall see...

thesharkman
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

I read somewhere recently that an item must be at least 20 years old to be considered vintage. In that case anything produced within the last 20 years would be considered modern toys. As someone that was faithfully collecting Playmates Star Trek ( Original Series ), Kenner / Hasbro Star Wars POTF and some of the DC Direct and Exclusive Premiere figures in the 90s I still consider them modern figures though most would consider 90s vintage these days. Though I had a few Toy Biz figures back in the day I never could completely get into collecting them. Some looked great and others looked terrible. Even though I sold off most of my 90s figures years ago I have been trying to piece them back together in the last few years. A lot of sentimental value to me.

Comment

• thesharkman
      Museum Patron
      • Nov 1, 2019

I agree. Anything that I purchased in the 80s-90s is still "modern" to me. LOL. I see all the crap I have at shows and think to myself, "do people really want this stuff?" What figures are you looking for?

thesharkman

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 22, 2011

I actually started collecting vintage toys in 1986 when I was just 18 yrs old. In that year I found the French carded Mego Fantastic Four at Lionel Playworld and carded Mego ST Kirk and Spock at a local comic shop. I couldn't believe at the time that these things still existed in package. I also remember in that year picking up some Star Wars POTF at a toy outlet store. All great memories. I officially started collecting modern toys in 1993 when I found the Playmates Classic Star Trek bridge crew set at Target. I guess that's why in my mind anything I bought new off the shelves as it was released from the 90s till now is a modern toy. As far as what figures I'm looking for now... a lot of vintage 70s-80s stuff and as for 90s just Playmates Star Trek OS, Star Wars POTF, DC Direct and some Exclusive Premiere stuff. I am basically just rebuilding what I had and only looking for stuff in prestine condition. Already found a lot of it.

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Here's the flip side: http://megomuseum.com/community/show...n-your-opinion
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

to me anything after 1982(when I was 12 and going into the teens) I consider modern even though it was 40 years. Also that I can vividly recall seeing GI Joe, he-man, mask, turtles on the shelves I consider modern. Things like megos,captain action, six million dollar man, star wars, pretty much before the time i gave to be vintage.

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

I'm not sure what year I'd call it, but in my head it's any toy line that was designed to be played with, as opposed to made with collector's in mind. Maybe 1989, when Batman came out and it was hard to find those toys for all the comic shop types who where buying them up to re-sell in their own stores.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I would go with whenever Playmates started making Star Trek figures. When they started with that whole numbers on the bottom of the feet nonsense. That's around the time everyone started to come out with all of the chase figures and short pack gimmicks.

Comment

• publiusr
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Aug 23, 2015

I agree. G.I. Joe smaller action figures might be an even better line of demarcation-the big figures being vintage-although that title best describes Rag dolls...wood and tin toys.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎