X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
    One episode and I'm done. I really don't like the look of the uniforms or the ships.
    I didn't like the sound of the words coming out of the characters' mouths

There was no reason to believe that yet another iteration of Kurtzman/Goldsman Trek would be any better than Discovery or Picard, but for some reason I always have a glimmer of hope that maybe this new production will accidentally land a writer or two who could potentially construct some decent episodes.

In the meantime there's just cringe and boredom.

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
      I didn't like the sound of the words coming out of the characters' mouths

There was no reason to believe that yet another iteration of Kurtzman/Goldsman Trek would be any better than Discovery or Picard, but for some reason I always have a glimmer of hope that maybe this new production will accidentally land a writer or two who could potentially construct some decent episodes.

In the meantime there's just cringe and boredom.
      Careful. Valid criticism really puts some people off around these parts.

But yes, it’s just one more turd in the JarJar Abrams Bad Reboot Universe.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

I admit that I flunked Vulcan Sexuality 101 at the Academy, but I thought they only mated once every seven years during Pon Farr? Instead, turns out that after a romantic dinner at the cabana, they put on some Barry White and get busy just like the rest of us?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i Liked it. I thought it really felt like classic Trek again.

Vulcan sexuality to my knowledge never said they only mate every seven years. they said that they have to mate at the seven year interval for Pon Farr. Not that they do not have sex in between.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
            Careful. Valid criticism really puts some people off around these parts.

But yes, it’s just one more turd in the JarJar Abrams Bad Reboot Universe.
            big surprise, another show for you to ***** and moan about how much you hate it

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              Vulcan sexuality to my knowledge never said they only mate every seven years. they said that they have to mate at the seven year interval for Pon Farr. Not that they do not have sex in between.
              So every seven years they get the blood fever to mate, even tho they're mating just like humans all the time anyway? Doesn't make much sense.

Remember, these are Vulcans.. pleasure doesn't enter into it.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Found this on Memory Alpha:

One way to interpret pon farr is that Vulcans only have sex once every seven years. However, TOS writer and continuity story editor D.C. Fontana once explained that pon farr is not the only time Vulcans feel romantic attraction, sexual desire, or engage in sexual activity:

"Vulcans mate normally any time they want to. However, every seven years you do the ritual, the ceremony, the whole thing. The biological urge. You must, but any other time is any other emotion – humanoid emotion – when you're in love. When you want to, you know when the urge is there, you do it. This every-seven-years business was taken too literally by too many people who don't stop and understand. We didn't mean it only every seven years. I mean, every seven years would be a little bad, and it would not explain the Vulcans of many different ages which are not seven years apart." – D.C. Fontana (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages)

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Well, the first episode was better than any of Discovery or Picard, if nothing else.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                    ... Valid criticism really puts some people off around these parts.
                    That's not necessarily what's off-putting.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

I liked episode two a lot. I like the crew and thought the story was really good.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I broke down and got a subscription to watch this show. I'm not completely won over. At times, it feels a bit too much like a generic CBS procedural in space (NCIS: Starfleet). But I think it shows a lot of promise. Both episodes so far feature plots that would be right at home amongst classic TOS or TNG episodes. In fact, I'd say they click better than most of the first season of TNG. The cast seems good, and Anson Mount in particular makes a likeable Pike. I recommend giving it a watch. I think it works if you are an old school Trek fan or if you are coming in to the franchise fresh.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i agree, this show, out of all the modern Trek, feels the most like TOS and TNG. juswt good old exploration and meeting new species. I really like Anson Mount in the role, Ethan Peck as Spock works well too

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                            I broke down and got a subscription to watch this show. I'm not completely won over. At times, it feels a bit too much like a generic CBS procedural in space (NCIS: Starfleet).
                            I think about this a lot when I'm watching these shows and checking my watch, and it makes sense that they'd all be cranked out of the same mediocre machine. I also get the sense I'm watching a cosplay fan-made video, and not always a good one

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

As someone who hasn't enjoyed much with the words "Star Trek" on them in decades, this one has made me a fan. I really enjoy its approach, characters and tone. The pilot was ok but so much better than any of the other trek pilots I've watched in the past. I will continue to watch and I think this is going to be a good series.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

Paramount+ has the first ep of SNW up on YouTube:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎