Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

If anyone has the Pluto TV app, I noticed that the Paramount Channel within Pluto TV has been running the first episode here and there since episode 2 was released. It may be that a person can watch for free the next week but not on demand as it's part of a schedule. They do the same with some of the Showtime series.

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Makernaut
      If anyone has the Pluto TV app, I noticed that the Paramount Channel within Pluto TV has been running the first episode here and there since episode 2 was released. It may be that a person can watch for free the next week but not on demand as it's part of a schedule. They do the same with some of the Showtime series.
      It’s also free on YouTube.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Just finished episode 3. I really like this show so far. I am particularly enjoying the characters among the crew (along with the interpersonal dynamics) and the stories seem to be structured around revealing significant bits and pieces about them as part of the story playing out. It really does seem to have the spirit of TOS and TNG, but for me, it's a little easier to watch because there is a little more action involved. I've always been a bit ADHD so it helps for "thinky-adventuring" to have the action be a little more obvious and these episodes have hit a sweet-spot for me, to this point.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Watched episode 4 this morning. Still really digging the show. The writers are making the various crew members focal points of episodes and we get to know a little more about them and their backstories because their personal stories and character are revealed in the problem-solving that takes place to get the crew out of danger. Lots of action but the stories are character driven and I am enjoying that kind of story telling.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Episode 4 was certainly the best of the series so far.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

I thought it was borderline incoherent. It's like they're just throwing as many Trek tropes into a blender as they can and calling it a narrative. It's overly chaotic as well as boring because the writing isn't strong enough to give it any real substance.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
                Watched episode 4 this morning. Still really digging the show. The writers are making the various crew members focal points of episodes and we get to know a little more about them and their backstories because their personal stories and character are revealed in the problem-solving that takes place to get the crew out of danger. Lots of action but the stories are character-driven and I am enjoying that kind of storytelling.
                I resonate with that sentiment, I'm only just finishing episode 3 but I'm drawn in thus far. I'm especially liking the lack of forced conflict that often bogs down shows like this, it's a team, they have quirks and idiosyncrasies but the message seems to be "let's figure this out".
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

While I got Paramount+ for Strange New Worlds, I will say that Lower Decks has also been delightful.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i haven't watched this weeks yet, but i really liked it too. Lower decks i could not get into. just don't like the animation style

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Binged the entire season this past week, and my wife and I just loved it. It felt more like Star Trek to me than anything I've seen in a long, long time. I liked all the new characters, and the fleshed-out presentation of the existing characters. The cast did an excellent job making me instantly feel comfortable and interested in these characters. The callbacks to the original series felt organic and not forced. There were some things done with a long-existing alien race that I honestly didn't care much for, and have a hard time reconciling with past stories involving them, but that's a minor niggle. The finale was fantastic. Can't wait for Season 2!

Oh, and I never watched Discovery, and had no trouble jumping into this. I may give Discovery a shot, but I don't think it's going to push those Trek buttons like this did.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

I agree that it felt more like Star Trek than anything for the past 15 years or more.
                        (There were certain canon and continuity issues which still really bugged me, though.)

But it was still much better than JJ Abrams Trek, and also way better than Discovery and Picard.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i am loving it too. couple episodes got a little silly, but they were still watchable. i still have to watch the finale though

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm about two episodes behind; I'm really digging it thus far. The cast is really working for me.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

the season finale was a great episode. i liked the actor they cast to play Kirk though he is not big enough. too skinny and lean to be Kirk, but he played the part well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, he is a bit thin, especially compared to buff Anson Mount. Shatner was always beefy and in pretty good shape during TOS, despite the battle of the mid-season bulge.

I thought he did a good job at capturing the charm and swagger of Kirk without trying to parody Shatner.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎