X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

The Wife is Upset about the Topps Deal!

Wife is getting snarky about the whole Topps figure thing? Any advice? When are they due?
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by zeedox
    Wife is getting snarky about the whole Topps figure thing? Any advice? When are they due?
    Divorce would be my advice.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      Divorce would be my advice.
      the real question is why are you telling your wife about the Topps deal???

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

duplicate post

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm so lucky, my partner never crabs about the collecting. If anything, he's an enabler.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I'm so lucky, my partner never crabs about the collecting. If anything, he's an enabler.
            That's awesome!

My other half is also a collector, so we enable each other. Fortunately we have quite a few common passions, which keeps our expenses down and preempts battles over shelf space.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by zeedox
              Tell her that it's not that big a deal. They will eventually arrive and you guys can play with them then. For now let her play with the Mego figures you already have.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

i ordered 4 in october one was cancelled. Getting tired of the wait getting into 6 months now.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SpideyDude73
                  • Jul 5, 2019

Delay from covid, ports backed up, shortage of truckers... blah blah blah.. I want my TOYS!! 😊

Comment

• MrKnowitAll
                    • Sep 25, 2021

So tired of excuses (After they have your money!)

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      You are lucky in that regard...

I've never dated anyone who 'gets it', and one was basically a pain in the --- about it...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

my wife was the one who encouraged me to put my collection on display and has never complained about it. but i also don't talk about what i paid for things, lol

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          my wife was the one who encouraged me to put my collection on display and has never complained about it. but i also don't talk about what i paid for things, lol

Some things *are* best left unsaid

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I have a very enabling, understanding wife. Thanks to us dating when we were in high school, and me stopping by the action figure aisles, she began collecting Barbies, and then onto other things such as Wonder Woman, and American Girl dolls.

We both agree (and I wouldn't be suprised if Mego does too) that the Topps deal was kind of a bust. It's been a mess, partially due to the pandemic, but there's also been a WHOLE lot of confusion on which versions of the characters are coming from who, and when, etc.

I'm looking forward to getting these figures, which for the most part look great, but I hope Mego just sticks to their usual distribution channels in the future.
                            sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

The difference between Topps and Hasbro is that Topps had us pay upfront to secure the production of the figures. I have thought about it on and off and I get why people would be bothered about doing a Kickstarter type purchase when they are not trying to participate in a Kickstarter. If the Topps deal was done like the Mego x Hasbro figures, or from the start gave a more realistic timeline like HasLab projects, maybe the deal wouldn't be considered a "bust". Communications of the variants definitely didn't help!

I guess all that is my way of saying that I wouldn't mind seeing Mego do more things outside of the box, but I hope it's done more in the manner of the Hasbro collaboration and not the Topps one.

As for my wife? On Saturday, we were at a mall we don't frequent often, especially after 2019, when we have been to a mall once or twice since. I see a store with a bunch of Funko Pops and other stuff and I go in while she waits outside to sit and take a break. I see the motherlode of Megos! New and old! I run outside to tell my wife and then ask, "Should I buy some?", because I get a lot of... stuff. She tells me yes, if you want them, get them. 10-15 minutes later, because I had to check them ALL for the best paint apps and clothing, I was a happy camper!

My wife was not supportive at all when I started collecting toys as an adult back in 1999; she did not understand it. But she eventually came around and would even call me from the store to check for things I was searching for.
                              Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 4, '22, 9:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎