Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscars. The slap heard around the world…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

In a world filled with much bigger problems, it is kind of funny that everyone has fixated on this. And maybe in that way, it has been a “pressure release” that everyone can get behind and offer an opinion on it, regardless of background. And from my vantage point, it doesn’t seem to be split between ideologies.

I have no dog in the fight. I’m a little repelled by the whole Hollywood award show dynamic in general. Every person in that room is living a life inside their own ego, each surrounded by handlers and hangers-on who feed that ego daily. They don’t live in the real world.

And on a final note, I think the pinnacle of decorum and manners for this country was probably already reached in the 1950’s. It’s only gotten worse every decade since. (How’s that for an old guy rant?)

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Hector
      The Oscars are a joke.
      I got so angry when Pulp Fiction lost to Forrest Gump for Best Picture, that I swore off the Oscars. It took 27 years for a little slapstick comedy to bring me back in.
      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I think, going forward, the top two vote getters in each category should battle for the Oscar. Non lethal combat of course. Ferengi style taser whips...

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by J.B.
          I got so angry when Pulp Fiction lost to Forrest Gump for Best Picture, that I swore off the Oscars. It took 27 years for a little slapstick comedy to bring me back in.
          Me too! I mean, Forest Gump is not bad…but Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies ever made. I’ve seen it probably more times than Star Wars.
          sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

And Once Upon A Time....In Hollywood. Nominated for 10, wins 2? That is the last movie I went to see multiple times in the theater. 5 times. I haven't been to 5 movies since then.

As far as "Pulp Fiction" goes...I distinctly remember walking out of the theater and saying to my friend, "From here on out, it's going to be divided into 'movie experience before Pulp Fiction' and 'movie experience after Pulp Fiction' because it is all changed by seeing that movie".
            Last edited by Makernaut; Mar 30, '22, 6:11 AM.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Didn't the Smith's son post something like 'That's how we do it' or words to that effect? (I only seen it for a brief moment when they were talking about it on TV on Monday.)

Either way, I think it's funny that this kid who never knew a day of poverty in his life, and certainly didn't come from 'the hard streets' is sitting there acting like he's all 'street thug' or whatever...

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

Jaden Smith is a whole other story. His and his sister’s believe in their own genius is staggering.

Comment

• jacoblb
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 7, 2009

Punishment didn't fit the crime. The Smith's are known for their indiscretions and open marriage. Chris Rock should have countered with:
                  "Will Smith is fine with other men sleeping with his wife but he draws a line and defends her honor over a dumb joke."
                  This moment ruined his award moment, he won't live it down. I'd not be surprised if a divorce happens and his box office appeal slips even more.
                  A basketball podcast put it best, the slap was his Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's sofa moment.
                  I'm glad as time passes more and more are less on Will Smith's side. Even his apology was insincere.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

Will Smith is like Tom Hanks. When he was young, he was hilarious and fun. Once he had a few hit movies he became pretty high on himself acting like mister big shot, smug and phoney as heck.
                    Next year I think Chuck Norris should host the Oscar’s.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
                      A basketball podcast put it best, the slap was his Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's sofa moment.
                      The difference is that Tom Cruise is still box office. Will Smith’s last hit was Men in Black.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

I think Tom Hanks still has a pretty good sense of humor. I think Will Smith seems very self-serious.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                          From Chris Rock
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]32790[/ATTACH]
                          If it wasn't obvious from reading it, the Chris Rock "statement" is fake. Rock hasn't made a statement. He actually has first stand-up show since the incident tonight, so I'd expect to be hearing something..

Since actor Will Smith struck comedian Chris Rock at the 94th Academy Awards, social media users have pined for new deve

I'd love to hear from him on SNL during weekend update, but he has another show in Atlantic City at 10pm. But I suppose he could chopper in just in time for update

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

I can't wait for the nexr Dave Chappelle special and who would want to work with Smith again? Will his newest films be straight to DVD?

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Chris Rock is preforming in Boston tonight about 30 minutes from where I live, now I really wish I had tickets to that, wondering if he gets a standing ovation when he comes out on stage?

I think the infamous slap will benefit Chris Rock and hurt Will Smiths further career.

Everyone saw Smith laugh at the joke, but spoiled Jada gave him the “oh you think that’s funny look” and the P’ whipped Smith got up and got tough with someone smaller than him. He’s a thug, and believe me when I say if Chris Rock was 6’ 4” and solid, Smith wouldn’t have even got out of his chair. Maybe Rock was out of line a bit with the G.I. Jane comment, but it’s sarcastic comedy, Jada if it really bothered her should have asked for a public apology, Rock definitely would have tweeted an apology afterwards.

I never really liked Will Smith that much, he was mildly funny on Fresh Prince, I actually thought Alfonzo (Carlton) was funnier
                              as was the wise cracking butler, and his serious acting rolls were mediocre, he’s definitely no Denzel Washington.

Comment

• J.B.
                                Guild Navigator
                                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by TrekStar
                                believe me when I say if Chris Rock was 6’ 4” and solid, Smith wouldn’t have even got out of his chair.
                                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎